Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Try and get what you can out of the NHS, they do get things right sometimes. You can switch over to Private at most stages if you need to, if you don't get what you need from your GP i belive you have the right to seek a second oppinion.

• PaddyP wrote (see)

Cheers CBimage

Karma, Where are you based?  I visit a great chiro who also does acupuncture and sports massage.  Has great results with sciatica I'm told.  She has really worked out for me with some neck problems I had in past.  I'm up north in Merseyside.

Live in The forest Of Dean (Yes I have the normal number of fingers and toes before anybody starts the forrester jokes! moved here 11 years ago) Have to say NHS have been fantastic here but company provide private health so figure why not use it the biggest advantage clearly being the speed of treatment
    PaddyP wrote (see)

Cheers CBimage

Karma, Where are you based?  I visit a great chiro who also does acupuncture and sports massage.  Has great results with sciatica I'm told.  She has really worked out for me with some neck problems I had in past.  I'm up north in Merseyside.

Rafiki wrote (see)

Yes - I set my own comany up a few months ago. Cash flow was an issue initially so 'luxury' expenses such as health insurance were shelved for a while - but I think its probably worth it now, besides its not that expensive!

And I agree - don't think the NHS route is viable!! I'm going to have a chat with some friends who know more about these things and get some more advice - but I can see an MRI happening next week!!

Rafi would definately have the MRI better to be safe than sorry if you are in that much pain no pockets in a shroud as they say and you dont want to be doing stuff that could make it worse
  • Welcom DawnShadow

Rafiki - All I know about MRI scans is that they are noisy and you can't have one if you have any metal inside your body.

I have been back to the Osteopath as my piriformis went twang when stretching on Sunday and it still felt not right. She has released the tension in it and is writing up a report and I am seeing a physio next week for second opinion on what is causing the problems and probably more/different exercises. At least the good news was that my pelvis had stayed straight.

• REf sarah had a MRI last week on the NHS with her knee but was a lot of faft and waited for a couple of month's if any use to you?

• Well Steady, that might make my decision a lot easier as I have a rather large titanium plate in the old noggin - so no MRI!!

• Yep Rafiki, that would make a difference, apparently any metal would be pulled out of the body by the magnets, cos they are really strong. Not sure whether titanium is in that class but think it would rule you out. Maybe a CT scan will show enough detail.
    So do you set off scanners at the airport is my next question?

• interesting, according to wikipedia, titanium is ok for an mri

been back to the physio, he reckons it is the fat pad that is hurting, caused by weak left glute, groin muscle is dominating and tight ITB all conspiring to make my left knee fall inwards when I run. He masssaged the fat pad, and I can confirm that that was incredibly painful. Anway, he told me I should swim normally not with a pull buoy and also cycle normally as other wise I'll lose muscle and it will take me ages to get back back to normal training.

so, tomorrow I will thrash the spin bike in the gym, would rather test this out in the gym and not end up miles away from home and having to cycle back in painimage if that is ok I might treat myself to a sufferfest session on friday - haven't had chance to sample them since downloading them a few weeks ago

• Ti is not ferrous. Innit!

• Indeed - but after a bit of research, some of the screws may be of a titanium alloy - which may contain Fe - basically need to discuss with MRI people..

But, disappointingly, I don't set off metal detectors at airports

Interesting how many people in here are injured...... are you quite sure this exercise stuff is good for you image

• what would we be like if we weren't exercising?? when I look at other people my age I do sometimes think 'thank god I am not like that' overweight/unable to move far/looking elderly....some people in their 40s look like they are nearing their deathbeds, I want to stay away from mine as long as possible...

• Maths I agree having done next to nothing for a couple of months it is alarming how quickly my fitness has vanished and the weight has piled on hope I can get this sorted asap otherwise I will need the couch surgically removed removed from my arse!

• Got my back MRI results today. Much of L2-5 seems to be pretty much muesli or dead and L5 is fused to the sacro joint as well. And what the hell is stenosis? At least I know why it hurts so feckin' much now.

Cortisone injections to the joints recommended. Er, dunno, squealy girl in me doesn't like the sound of that.

Sorry, I have a vision of Raf with his head stuck to the inside of the donut on the MRI machine with bolts poking through his skin.

Re 40s and unfit, friend of mine just had his BP measured at 226/127 and told in immediate danger of stroke. Don't think the 25 stone helps.

Good luck all peeps with bits wrong with them!

• DB - don't really understand your mri results - is it your vertebra you are talking about?

blimey - your friend's blood pressure is bad! I had mine measured recently and it was something like 140/72 - I think that is around normal 

• Shiiiiiit DB!

My shoulder cleared up VERY quickly once cortisone injections were discussed.

• (((Rafiki))) & (((SteadyCJ)))  thanks for welcome image

(((Cake))) Hi fella *waves*

• You could get an MRI via health insurance as long as you don't have a history of treatment for that injury on your medical record at the GPs.  

• Has anyone else noticed we all seem to be slowly falling apart? 

• Anyone looking at this page would think so...

to pick out a few highlights...

bloodpressure, Osteopath, MRI, injections, physio, CT scan, twang!

• Well, my BP is about 118/75 these days, down from 158/97, utterly the fault of exercise I am pleased to say but my aspiring IM career is over I think for all sorts of reasons, mostly bits of me breaking.

Ergo back to short ones, which are much more fun. Though Oly counts as short.

• DB - perfect blood pressureimage well done. Don't know about short being more fun as I haven't done anything longer than a sprint yet

• Dustboy wrote (see)

Well, my BP is about 118/75 these days, down from 158/97, utterly the fault of exercise I am pleased to say but my aspiring IM career is over I think for all sorts of reasons, mostly bits of me breaking.

Ergo back to short ones, which are much more fun. Though Oly counts as short.

What about that HIM in Calais that you might get the distance wrong for?image

I like short tris. I like that I can do a sprint quicker than my IM swim time. Mind you, I can do a half-mara in the time it took me to swim and T1!

• I was broke but screwed back together so hopefully I'm on the mend now image

Ran with Horse last night 6 miles-ish all in Z2, 55 mins, down the canal tow path it was pitch black just our head torches to see where we going. To Anyone coming the other way we must have looked like aliens bobbing up and down. image
  • still could have been worse...it could have been daylightimage

• Cat5, the HIM may be a step too far. I just don't know yet. If I do, it will be a very slow affair. We'll see.

• image Dusty take heart that it won't be as slow as me. image

• I'll give you that one Holgs. image
  • ok, so I went to the gym, 40 mins session on spin bike, and I did 10 x 1 min intervals in the middle, then a bit of core etc then 30 min swim - managed 40 lengths and didn't use a pull buoy. Not very quick but quick enough to get me the HIM swim in time I think. And I will be quicker in June, won't I??

• Have faith Mathschick, plenty of time, by next summer you will be at least a minute quicker over 400m than now. Turboing all winter will have you pedalling like a demon.

At least today my body felt good, but havenot done any exercise.

• steady - feeling good is good, you can exercise tomorrow!