Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Rocco, sounds good, I feel like a sausage and look like Michelin Lady.

I am wondering when will be the last weekend for OW swims this year, I would like to get at least one more in.

• Shame Pete, better get cracking next time!image

Around 18 miles cycling today in bits and bobs and alltogether 1200m swim today. Last time I broke it to 100m chunks as first time in ages. Today I went for 2x100m,200m,400m,200m,2x100m. And what do you get for not swimming for approx 2 years? Almost double  your best 400m time! Took me 18 bloody long minutes!! image Lot of work to do. Will breast stroke swimming help your swim fitness for fc? Tell me I'm not doing it for nothing please?!

Pretty tired now and throat still sore. Have average about 11miles per day cycling and it's kind of tiring me out as not been doing much lately. Tomorrow I'm thinking just cycle commute to work, then circuits and Friday only commute to work and home but otherwise rest. Great to be doing stuff yet again though, feel so much better for it and cracking on on the eating front as well.

• Thanks for all your comments...but I'm still an idiotimage

I didn't think it would sell out, I registered for the Alford triathlon 3 days before the race!  I'll know next time.  I spent the night googling and there are a couple of hill races in October and in November the winter duathlon (run, bike, run) series starts (as long as the snows don't come early)...

My running has suffered since the op in July so I'm going to get back to 10K runs in my lunch hour in readiness for the hill races.

It's not going to be the dull autumn/winter that I thought it was.

• Had to drop my partner off at the train station this morning so thought id get an early swim in. I was the first to arrive and got to break the water first, am I the only one that enjoys the feeling of gliding, well splashing really, through an empty pool?

Anyway I managed 2 x 750m, first was done in 24 minutes with a lot of faffing with new goggles, second was done with old goggles in 15 minutes. Happy with that and have 3 weeks tillI have to do it outside image

On the downside why do old people insist on getting to the pool early and then spend the whole time doing a combination of walking half a length and then very slow breast stroke? This wouldn't have been too bad if a) there werent 6 of them who all wanted to chat to did it in a long line across the pool and b) they didnt try to squeeze between myself and another lady when there was half an empty pool. One woman had the cheek to comment that I was splashing her as I swam past. I must admit I may have kicked slightly harder as I went past them each length  image

• The winter season is pretty good Pete for Duathlons and Cross Country, its great fun and keeps you ticking over till Tri season image

I'm the same Rocco, I love to be first in the pool, I was 1st in the line at 6am during the snow and frost this year in my swim shorts and flip flops shivering with thoughts of diving into a still water pool, we also have the old lady's that like to swim 3 abreast and having a lovelly old natter while the remaining 20 odd people in the lane have to squeeze through or dick under to get past, I also kick a little more to raise the odd tut or pursed lip ha ha

I'm having a few days off, been really tired since the weekend, planning on going to bosworth tonight though for an easy swim image

• At the moment I have to do my swimming after work and there are no lanes. Well there is one lane for kids swim club, then quite a few kids in the rest of the pool as well. Taken to swimming by the lane as it seems best. Yesterday I'd been swimming a good 20 mins in the same place but kids still insist coming in your way. I keep to my line (obviously not if I'm near to hitting them) and try not to give a quarter and it works pretty well, they get out of the way. Just don't understand why parents with their really young ones have to swim across the pool? It ain't that deep anywhere in this pool. I'd love to be the first to break the water!

• I meat to say duck under above image, is that a freudian slip ?

• JPGoodboy wrote (see)

I meat to say duck under above image, is that a freudian slip ?

What ever floats your boat JP image

Whilst Im having a moan, why do old ladies decide to douse themselves in perfume before they go swimming? It's so strong you can taste it as you swim past

• Oh I know, makes you feel sick, at our pool you are supposed to shower before entering the pool but clearly these old ducks dont like to get there hair wet, I follow the rules and wash my make up and perfume off before swimming why can't they.

• Heyhey all - does anyone fancy doing this with me? 10k round Belvoir Castle (which is very pretty) and if you need to bring OH's or chillens then there are stalls and other activities as well.

http://www.equinox24.co.uk/equinox-10k/

Thought it might be a good scout for the beaver as well image

• Scouting for beaver?image

can't you get arrested for that?

• buttercup - I was worried then because I thought you were asking someone to do the 24 hour one with you!! I'll think about it as it isn't too far but I have a tri the next day - and I can't run that far at the moment - but then when did that ever stop me!!

oh I hate people that wear stinky perfume or TCP and get in the pool

I love being the only one in the pool - that is greatimage

EP - in a couple of weeks you'll be used to being back at work again and be able to get back into the swing of training!

Me? I need to get back into the swing of planning lessons!

• Shame Pete, better get cracking next time!image

Around 18 miles cycling today in bits and bobs and alltogether 1200m swim today. Last time I broke it to 100m chunks as first time in ages. Today I went for 2x100m,200m,400m,200m,2x100m. And what do you get for not swimming for approx 2 years? Almost double  your best 400m time! Took me 18 bloody long minutes!! image Lot of work to do. Will breast stroke swimming help your swim fitness for fc? Tell me I'm not doing it for nothing please?!

Pretty tired now and throat still sore. Have average about 11miles per day cycling and it's kind of tiring me out as not been doing much lately. Tomorrow I'm thinking just cycle commute to work, then circuits and Friday only commute to work and home but otherwise rest. Great to be doing stuff yet again though, feel so much better for it and cracking on on the eating front as well.

• Circuits today and a cycle commute. Now chilling out and may even have a glass of wine later! image

• Day 2 of crunchie challenge done after gentle 5k run, plus bike commute - legs are dealing with it all quite well.  Except for the squats don't love the squats image booked in my first bodypump class for ages for Saturday morning should be fun.

Hahaha MC yeah no - just say no to the 24 hour running! It was the 10k I was referring to looks like fun image

Keep it up Mikasa good working!

Pete this the Beaver : http://www.justracinguk.com/event/2014-provisonal/beaver it is a play on how the locals pronounce Belvoir image

• oh why do all the events have to be so close together? I wanted to do the little beaver next year but it is the week before outlaw half - not sure it is a good idea to do an oly the week before. Might think about the speedy beaver though - could be like a mini practice for the outlaw half

I have done a little run plus the challengeimage

• I have done a short and sharp off road bike for half an hour and the challenge.

The abs did ache slightly when I woke up this morning.

I need to do a little run tomorrow.

• morning all - turbo done this morning (although it wasn't raining but don't want to run 2 days in a row at the moment and too dark to actually get out on the bike) - sufferfest - A very Dark Place. My tiredness is showing as I was struggling to get the cadence up but still a good workout

the more I think about the more the idea of an open water race before outlaw half becomes a good idea - practice the OW start and will get rid of a few of the nerves. Buttercup - fancy either the oly or the sprint the week before outlaw half?? Anyone else? I have heard that they are really well run races. The mddle distance the week before outlaw half is not going to be a good idea but maybe 2015!!

• Maths from own experiance I would say it's a very good idea. The more training you can get in under race conditions the better you will be and tranistion is just as inportant as swimming/running or biking. I've looked at the beaver before and it's to far away from me to be worthwhile logistically but if you guys are playing might have to come along. image

SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Heyhey all - does anyone fancy doing this with me? 10k round Belvoir Castle (which is very pretty) and if you need to bring OH's or chillens then there are stalls and other activities as well.

http://www.equinox24.co.uk/equinox-10k/

Thought it might be a good scout for the beaver as well image

image Sarah keeps asking about this race but lucky for me we are already in the new forest that day for a marathon.

• Kritter86 if your about I should be around your way all next week with the mother-in-law if you fancy meeting up and saying hello. Taking the bike and hoping to get some training in.

• not sure whether the oly or the sprint would be best to do - have to take into account the HIM the week after. I have time to think about it. Fairly close to me - can't be that far cake? 

well, turbo this morning, was thinking of going to the gym after school, but left school late and shattered so just came home. I am likely to be asleep before the kids tonight I think!!

• It's with getting there by road that has put me off before. If you just want to do tranition training I would go for the sprint if you want to rock go for the olly. I think the sprint would be more sensable but sensable is boring. image

• It's not that far but a little off the beaten track tho' MC and I would happy to do the sprint - think the oly would be a little much the week before the HIM.  I'd like to do the Big Sow next year as well image

Day 3 of the crunchie challenge done.

Cake if Sarah wants to do it next year I'd be keen image 

• ah well buttercup let's both go for the sprint beaver and big sow cos I want to do both of those 2 - just hope the big sow doesn't end up being the week after outlaw halfimage not sure I would be recovered in time!

• Ok seriously, too much happens over a couple of days. Been unwell, had bloods taken back to docs Thurs for results. Hoping all well. ? for a scan at some point but hopefully not necessary. I've managed small stuff to keep my eye in. 

In this time, arrangements are being made I see!!! Involving Sows and Beavers...!!!

There has been as suggestion of Bala as a warm up for Outlaw Lasses! 

Will read through everything properly now!

• I can't count! Just talked about my swim with bf and it made me realise that the 18mins was actually for 800m not 400m which makes me feel so much better! Basically, when I start going further, I count out and back as one lap but still counted for 16! What a pillock! image Same for the 200m, that ended up being 400m so I actually swam 2k in total in 55min. No wonder the '400m' felt like it took for ages! image

what's this challenge I hear you talking about? What have I missed?

I might be up for Bala...half yeah?

• tempted by the beaver or the big sow. but Mrs WS might not be happy about them - think I'd best do some crawling this weekend.....image

• I have done the abs challenge but that is all today.

Mr Steady had forgotten our wedding anniversary until pointed out this evening, so he dashed out to buy a card. I may be cruel and make him cook a meal whilst I go out training one evening next week.

• What are these challenges you are doing?