Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Pete are you breathing out properly under water?

• Mrs D,stick with the Z2, 

Last september I was regularly running at 9'0"-9'15"and it felt reasonably easy but I have gone back to Z2, now I'm struggling to stay below 10'00" everything seems to ache while I'm running, just cant put my finger on it what's wrong.image Need to get to the bottom of it because I've entered The Manchester marathon in April,I'm doing the DIY Half at SA's place the week after and Ribby Hall Tri in May.image

• I can't see what could possibly go wrong Razor image

Maybe it's just getting back into the regular running. Also, I find the bike training really helps with running. You've probably cut back a hell of a lot compared to Outlaw training. Will all come together. None of us getting any younger either image

Hellooo Buttercup!!!!!

• Hey buttercup, I think I am. I do my best to breathe out fully and I'm conentrating on breathing every third stroke. But I'm breathing like I'm running a 100m sprint. Perhaps I should swim slow and work on technique and endurance. Not that I'm very fast as it is. 

• morning 

EP - well done, that's the hard bit out of the way! You have started now so it is just a matter of keeping it up

pete - yes, slow down, concentrate on technique, breathing should be relaxed

8 mile run/walk done this morning! Need to roller out my ITBand now.

Had to skip the bike ride with buttercup today because of work pressures - I am totally fed up with it. If things don't improve I am going to leave in the summer - I can't spend ALL of my life working, I have to have some of it for myself and my family, the way teaching is going I just don't want/can't do it and stay sane

• MC - that's a shame, I know what it's like when work becomes so oppressive. image   Happy thoughts for the 8mile run though, good going.

I've had a short cross country run this morning, and start week 3 of my Fink program tomorrow - all is good - but like Pete will be happier when I can improve my swim.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - sorry to hear work is taking so much of your time.

1k swim done this morning, all breast stroke. Was supposed to be nice and relaxed as need to go for a run today as well but lots of overtaking slower people. My email querying about lessons bounced so need to give them a call. I've been reading a lot of swim related threads though and not sure what's best to do now. I think £18 for half an hour is bit much. I'll try to see if there's anything else I can do.

• MC - totally understand, the wife is a teacher, and it's really not what a lot of people think it is. It's not short days with massive holidays at all. Not helped by the education system being run by one of the biggest muppets on the planet.

Currently getting myself motivated to get the mountain bike out of the garage for a ride through the rain up to the gym for a swim and strength training session

• Aw MC, good work with the run! But know where you're coming from. My Dad was a head of department and changed completely once he retired! The pressure now is ridiculous. 

Woop woop EP... We'll see you there image

Maths is right Pete. You don't start running as a full on sprint so slow it down. It'll come. 

DS and Buttercup - you doing full Fink? 

• Ep - it's good to have a plan.

Hi Mrs D, At the moment, other than the Boar it's all running for me, so I'm just doing the scrape by Fink this year to help give some structure.  I'm trying to stick with it, other than once a fortnight I go longer with my Sunday run.

• Wow, can hardly keep up with all the training going on and plans for races. I am having another enforced lazy day, still got the headache and no energy but the windows are open to get the fresh air in, so nice to not have any rain for a few hours.

• thanks guys, up until earlier this year I loved my job, but now the pressure and expectations are just ridiculous. The constant monitoring and checking up is also over the top. And I am in a school that on the last ofsted was judged as 'good' - must be hell in a school that is below that. I am sick of the incompetent idiots being promoted then messing up everyone else. I am going to try to persue the dream I had 20 years ago of going into educational psychology (I have a psychology degree as well as a maths one) - but there are very few places on the courses. So I need to spend some time getting myself into the position where I would get onto a course! 

Anyway, back to the marking!

• Hellooooooooo Mrs D! Yeah I am trying to do full fink - have modified it slightly due to time constraints and working around known CBA moments.  

Had a lovely bike with SuperCaz this morning 80ish km for me.  There were a number of tough wee hills which reminded me unsubtly that I need to get back to biking the hills!

• Failed to cycle to the gym, but did go. Did 1200m plus some (some muppet forgot to restart the 910 after pausing at the end of a set and didn't realise until about 10 minutes later), again trying to think about my stroke based on YouTube videos from Swim Smooth and so on. My first 400m was my fastest so far, down to 8:33, though I'm sure if I'd had a clear lane later in the session I could have got a faster time, as my stroke at least felt quicker and smoother. Think I'll invest in the Swim Smooth DVDs and book if there's enough come payday.

Followed that with some more resistance training in the gym, then came home and tried to go straight out for a run. The combination of aching/sore abs from the gym, the additional weight around my gut and going out too fast resulted in me getting to 1.1 miles and having to stop and walk home. Next time I need to recover first or just get back into slogging away at a slower pace.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Maths - good luck with the future plans!

ButterCup - awesome mileage there! Could not think about going that far yet.

DB - Quite a lot you had planned there. Last Monday I did a 5k on the treddie and then my gym programme, it wiped me out for a few days, but then I'm unfit.

7mi run for me in the gorgeous sunshine! Very happy. image Did 9:1 run/walk and went bit too fast, average pace came at my easy run pace and I could feel it in my quads so had a cold bath afterwards. But it's been a long time since I've gone this far and now that I have, I feel much happier about the coming HM though it'll still be slow.

• First 5K of the year for me today. took it at a steady pace and felt good. 30 minutes but think i could of gone a little faster  

Got a swim session tomorrow morning as im off work then TRX in the evening. 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Nice to see you back Bristolsparks! Any tri's on the horizon?

Love TRX! image

• Well i did have 2 booked up but cant make make them as i have a stag do and now a wedding. 

Got 1 lined up for 11th may. 

• Oo... Is it the Cotswold again Brizzle? image

• Blooming eck.. Maybe you should be doing the Cotswold 226 rather than Boar you Fink persons you! 

Great work Mikasa - you must be chuffed image

• Not up to that yet Mrs D! Just wanted to give myself a fitting chance for the Outlaw bike ride and not let the team downimage

• Yes it the cotswold again MrsDigger. have unfinished business

• Hi BristolSparks image

Mrs D - the Boar will be fine thank you kindly, mustn't put other thoughts in my head (thoughts about bacon are okay).

Buttercup, you'll be great. image

• Went for a quick swim this morning to help the aching muscles ready for TRX tonight

• Am with you Buttercup, we'll rock it don't worry! image

See you there Brizzle! 

Rest day today before work kicks my arse image

• Rest day for me too, I need it after my first propper bike sesh yesterday, did 40miles, doing the John Wayne shuffle today.

Briefly glimpsed at my training plan this morning, I have not followed it at all, now on week 4, I might pick it up from week 15 as my work and work training scheduled are pretty full on so working around that atm

Have a smashing training week Pirates image

• JP need some Ibuprofen?

Buttercup nice one of the miles and Razor chin up mate you will still be faster than me.

Got some very exciting news!!!! The man flu has finally gone so can party again. image