Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• thanks DB, might sign up tonight as i see you get 30 days money back.

• Just in case they will try and sell you a stand for your front trye as well if it's less than £10 and you can afford it a good deal. If you can't or they a charging a more than £10 getting a phone book and sticking it under there works just as well and is free. image

• If they have the £99 one in stock at Decathlon get that, I wanted that one as I know a chap who has one and thinks its ace, they had sold out when I went along and said they wont have any more for a month or so image

• Oh dear did my personal worst ever at Park Run on Saturday image I will use the flooded paths as an excuse image Bike on Sunday was a tough one too. I now realise just how unfit I am, knowing how much hard work I will have to put in just to get back to where I was is somewhat daunting.

Onwards and upwards though, although currently the only thing achieving that is my weight! image

• I had a slow one at Parkrun too, I was wearing a dressing gown though, thats my excuse.

Was planning on a gym strength sesh after work but cba, so jogging 8 miles home to relieve the guilt a bit

• Alibear, I know what you mean about the weight. I like to think it is building muscle.

Race report time for The Bookham 10Km, billed as a challenging off road run over bridle paths and foothpaths in the Surrey Hills. The reality at this time of year is a hilly mudfest, that for some reason kept making think of Cake and how much he would enjoy the hills and mud.
    There is a hill known locally as vomit hill and is aptly named and included on the course. Due to the recent weather there was an additional clamber over a fallen tree and a divert around a massive fallen tree that was higher than me even though it was flat on the ground.

I thoroughly enjoyed taking my time and going steady, or more precisely walk the bits that I may have fallen over in. There was claggy mud, slip slide mud and liquid mud, with plenty of ups and downs as well. One of the hills is about a mile long and climbs 400ft, sounds little but running up a muddy hill is quite a challenge. In the last half mile were massive puddles that you had to run through as it went the whole width of the track, I went up to my knees in icy water but at least it washed the shoes.

My Garmin recorded a training effect of 4.1 which is very good. I was not last to finish. I may have been  323 out of 326 and my time was 1:42:39 ,the winner was 41 minutes,.the others finishing after me were all over 2 hours,

I have a sports massage booked for tomorrow which I am looking forward to.

• well done steady that sounds tough

Ali - my weight is not going down either - but then I snack too much at work I think. 

left shoulder is feeling a bit stiff and sore so going to bunk off swimming tonight and do a gentle turbo instead - feel like running but after 10 miles yesterday I don't think that would be a great idea, and I want to go to running club tomorrow

• Well done Steady!! 

MC been wanting to go for a run all day!  But Im being good and not running till wednesday and then i think i will just go for a run around the uni at lunch rather than full on runmute.  Tossing up whether I hop on the turbo for an hour after tea.

Ali I have lost about two kg since New Years but it is now fluctuating around the same number but Im not actively doing anything to lose the weight - am eating healthy-ish and training and that's going to have to do for now image 

• ended up marking some tests instead of turbo, so a rest day today. Not a bad idea anyway.

buttercup - the uni campus is lovely to run around image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Great work Steady!

EP - Good stuff with the weight loss!

Just gym for me today. I'm losing weight very very slowly but I've not made a huge effort food wise though I'm trying to eat healthy and no coke or chocolate all of January.

Swim planned for tomorrow morning, bf is coming with to help me get there. Third time lucky! image

• 4km on the treadmill for me followed by 1km in the pool. After 200m it looked like I was going to knock about 20 seconds off my 400m time, then my form did one as I ended up trying to chase it, resulting in me hitting my PB bang on. Next time I'm going to ignore the watch until the end of the set and see what difference that makes.

• It's very athletic in here, not sure I'm keeping pace at the moment.

Had a 10mi LSR on Sunday that was okay.  Left arm still not okay, a fall on Sunday that added wrist injury to the same arm didn't help, so swimming still not on the cards this week.

Week 5 of my Fink Program just asked for 30mins run today, so took Dawn Dog over fields for his first 5k can-cross run by headtorch - very enjoyable.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

DS - hope your arm and wrist get better soon.

I did it! Got up and went for a swim. I'm so used thinking I'm a slow swimmer that I always go to the slow lane, but with public swimming it was full of old cronies hardly moving  (but good on them of course) so medium lane it was. Lots of overtaking which is quite tiring. Ended up doing just 627m and 17mins of swimming. I do have time enough to do half an hour so need to work up towards that in the mornings. Now I've done it once it won't be so hard to go again.

I'm really hoping my swimsmooth book will arrive today but probably won't. Bf said my kicking for fc is all wrong, not surprised there but I think I'll need to buy a float and I could work on that in the mornings. there was a guy with M. tattoo on his calf as well.

• mikasa - thanks, it'll get there in the end. I think it'll be workable in another fortnight.

I hope you're pleasantly surprised by the arrival of your book today. I'm mostly in the slow lane at swimming to give me time to think about what I'm doing. I do get forced into the medium lane at times, and I can cope for 25m lengths, but not at a pace I can keep going much longer than that - I still need to sort my technique/breathing out.  I am aching for the day I get past this block and finally start to crack the front crawl.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Oh, I don't do front crawl yet, I only swim breast stroke atm.
  • I succeeded in going swimming this morning but it was hard work. I still ache so took third place in the four of us in our lane. Coach was not too harsh as he knows what hard work running xc is.

• Struggling with the tiredness and CBA.... Did decorate my bedroom though image

• Swum 1500 in 39.59 image I will take the 1 second image I was trying to do the Jodie Swallow hand position thing - got forced to go in the only lane in the pool this morning as I had fins on and some old biddy doing breaststroke complained loudly that i was hitting her leg as I went past - didnt matter her leg was at right angles to her body and taking up a lot of space.  Luckily there was only one guy (doing very pretty swimming he was awesome to watch!) and he didnt mind going around me whilst doing his speedy as lengths.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Awesome ButterCup! I take everyone else swims fc... That's good pace isn't it?

I want my book, but don't know if it's come before 2pm.

• I've been the gym both mornings this week, just for 30 minutes to do some spinning.  I'm in the pool tonight, I'll try for a 400m pb and then concentrate on my breathing, and body position, and legs, and arms...er...everything really.image

Well done steady!

Mikasa - we need to channel the spirit of buttercup in the pool...she's only about 4x faster than me.

• I am not in any shape or form fast Pete image I always feel ultra slow in the pool like Im some numpty and in everyones way (cept for the breaststroking granny brigade).  

Mrs D - lol when I want to procrastinate husband finds he has a clean house!  

My hip is feeling good after last nights decision to do SI muscle strengthening exercises - will do more tonight! Not massive amounts but enough for them to remember what they should be doing - obviously they've been slacking!

• image managed to pop to the pool at the weekdn still had the speed but my god my arm's where arching yesterday. Good news through was managed to do a far bit of it crawl. image

Nice one buttercup and Steady you said there was mud? Some top training going on.image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Pete - are you allowed to use the spinning bikes if there is no class? In our gym, you can't, stupid! 

I don't like the fact that our pool is 33m as to do a 400m time trial I need to do 12.12 lengths, how's that gonna work?! Don't know how swim fit I am at the moment but can do 400m of breast stroke in 10-11min. FC - 1 length is enough. image

• Mikasa, It's the office gym so there are two spin bikes hidden away in the corner...oddly there are never more than 4-5 people in whenever I've been in.

Your 400m time is better than mine.  I've done front crawl in both the triathlons I've done and I wasn't the slowest...well..ok, in the first one I was...image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

But at least you can do front crawl Pete! 

• Hahaha I was last out of the water at the little piglet last year but not the last home which I took as a win!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I've got my books! image Swimsmooth and half Fink. 2hrs before I can have a look at them properly though...