Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

another gym visit this morning.  Another sweaty 5k.  That's 25K running this week.  I'm starting to feel like I'm back in the zone.  Although my hip joint is a bit sore, I do have a massage set up for tuesday and I'll mention it then.

You all seem to be suffering just now, chin up everyone.  I know how you feel, but you will get better, just give it time.  Oddly, I find resting harder than training.image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I did a 4 mile walk in the sunshine at a leisurely pace.

Alas my Garmin seems to have lost the ability to show me hills on a pretty chart when I download it, but everything else works. After a quick google it seems that it is quite a common problem after a few years of ownership, but I can live with that.

• Options

evening all

today has turned out to be a rest day, not the original plan but I am tired, have got home late with a headache and tomorrow is another day

tomorrow if I manage to get up early enough I will head out on the bike, if I haven''t got time for that I will turbo until swimming time. Think I need to let myself wake naturally (or by the kids!) rather than set the alarm

• Options

Been a while since I've put an appearance in here, thought I have sort of been training. Done a couple of slow 3 mile runs this week, guestimated at Z2 (haven't sorted a hr strap for my Garmin yet) by tagging along with the missus and taking it easy enough to have a chat with her, which works out at about 12 min/mi for me. Going to stick at 3 miles for the rest of this week and next, and then start upping the distance once each week, aiming for 3 or 4 runs total.

Bike has been a bit neglected, only got in one ride last week, which was a slow 16 miles with the wife. Need to get myself back on the turbo after work during the week, which I WILL do next week. Also plan at least 1 road ride this weekend, and probably get out on the mountain bike too.

And if cycling has been neglected, swimming has been abandoned. Need to get back in the habit of going 3 times a week. Aiming for 2 swims this weekend, not been at all this week.

Then I've got the small issue of an ultrasound scan in a week and a half that could completely scupper my plans for this year all round. Could be nowt to worry about, but from seeing the doctor to having a scan will have been 6 weeks, for something that's potentially serious. Loving the urgency. But in the meantime, I shall train!

• Options

DB - good to hear from you

fingers crossed the scan doesn't show anything serious, but hope it does give you an answer as to whatever has been troubling you

• Options

1.30 z2 run home quite chilly, dark and a bit windy! Didn't take my micro fleece off as I only had my running singlet underneath - thought it would be warmer! 

DB hope it gives you the answers you need!

• Options

Typical of the weather to be cracking all week, and then decide to get worse for Friday and the weekend. Pretty much every afternoon this week I've been wanting to be out on my bike rather than be at work, as it's just been perfect weather. Bring on the summer and longer days!

• Options

Hello DB *waves*! 

Pants day at work so decided to run without HR monitor tonight. 3 miles in 30.39mins. 1st mile 11.25, 2nd 10.00, 3rd 9.14. feel better for it! 

• Options

just come back from an early morning cycle...now that it's spring, the local farmers are clearing out their over wintered cattle sheds.  This means spreading three months worth of rotted straw and poo on their fields.   And they chose the fields by the big hill where I'm usually gasping for breath. image nice.

still, I'm chuffed I got out even for a short cycle.  The first sprint triathlon of the season is on the 20th April...now I've got a goal to aim for.

• Options

well done pete. the muck spreading has been going on here tooimage

didn't manage to get up early enough to get out on the bike before swimming but have had a good sleep

turbo session, swimming then probably out with the kids on the bikes for a bit this afternoon

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Did the masters swim session, I am now knackered. I looked up my training log and it showed that I had not been since the beginning of February, no wonder it was hard work.

One of the sets today was called a long Hungarian, 25m butterfly, 50m backstroke,100m breaststroke and 200m front crawl then 100m breast, 50m back,25m butterfly. I did it but ended up totally out of breath by the end of the last butterfly.

• Options

Good luck DB, hope all is well.

well I have had a cack couple of weeks training, I've not really done anything.

sorting the new Boardman out today, changing a few things around so it fits me, I finally bought an ex display ltd edition road team carbon, I very nearl bought the carbon road pro, but the saving in cost outweighed the higher spec latest pro. I managed to get £120 off for the ex display model and a further 10% discount through British cycling. 

Need a kick up the bum to get back on track this week, hopefully my new bike will help.

happy training everyone, have a great weekend

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Great work everyone!

I finally managed to walk without pain yesterday. Not sure if that's because I've been taking ibuprofen all week or if it's really getting better. 3 weeks now without doing any proper running/biking/swimming.

There was a Fleet sprint tri that I was thinking about on 5th May and I almost entered before going on holiday but now I don't want to commit to anything before I'm better.

Lovely day here today, thankfully rugby is on so I don't have to worry about doing nothing today. image

• Options

Good news Mikasa, sounds like your on the mend

Here's the new bike, just set it up, not yet graced the Tarmac  

http://webkit-fake-url://0E97B3AF-2925-435C-A9C5-F5F725202B3A/imagejpeg

• Options

Got geared up for a run this morning intending to do around 17 k but got weird stabby pain in my right ankle so thought better of it and did 1hr of intervals and 2 hrs z2 on the turbo.  

Good work everyone - Pete you will be racing on my birthday that means you get ice-cream after your race!

• Options

So, big first event of the year tomorrow. Longleat Half Marathon. Apparently, it's a bit hilly image. Then Forest of Dean Half Marathon in 2 weeks. Apparently that's a bit hilly too image. It's all for charity folks so if you fancy throwing dosh in my direction the link is;

www.bmycharity.com/MrsDiggersChallenge   I'm quite nervous now! 

Look after yourself by the way small one x

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Good luck MrsDigger!

• Options

good luck MrsD

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good luck Mrs D.

• Options

You''ll be great, have fun Mrs D.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Bf is at work and as I can't do much and it's lovely outside I have come to support fleet half marathon runners. image
  • Options

Good luck MrsD. 

Its a howling gale today so I decided to take it as a rest day.  

I'll hit the gym early tomorrow. 

• Options

Failed to cycle or swim yesterday, but ran 3 miles. About to load the mountain bikes into the car and head over to Hamsterley Forest now, then go for a swim later

• Options

Rest day today - lovely sun out a bit blowy but would've been nice for a runimage so just the chores done today.  Husband managed to bust a spoke on his bike - he was not a happy man image

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

I have to admit, it was windy as anything in the bradford 10k earlier (still a 48:27pb!)  it also turns out that my swim technique has completely died, I barely managed 500m before having to stop, time for some lessons i think