Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• I keep telling myself that is taking part that only matters and i know it is true.  I will be so chuffed just to cross that finish line in one piece.  I am excited and scared in equal measures.

• I was last pirate standing at WB last year image had the best finish line supporters of the day!  As long as you are doing your personal best on the day - then that's all that matters image

• you are right what does it matter if you are first or last.  it is an achievement just to finish, better to finish last than be sat on my arse doing nothing at all.

• image If your last it just means you get a ice cream.

• I'm regularly last...it's a badge of honour now...I was last out of the pool in my last triathlon...speaking of which, I ventured back in the pool for the first time since the race...oooh am I bad at swimming? Yes!

I was too quick for the old fogies in the slow lane, but too slow for the middle lane regulars...I only did about 20 lengths before giving up.  Still, I know where the pool is now and I'll go again on friday...tomorrow is my first cycle to work of the year...

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Dilly dally - I have met a lot of the people on this thread and I can vouch for most of us not being naturally athletic  image

I can also assure you that a lot of people doing any triathlon are not naturally athletic, a lot of people do it just for fun and as a personal challenge/way of keeping fit. Personally I think that this attitude assures that you have a much more enjoyable day at a tri than the people that are naturally athletic (whatever that means) that are going for specific times/trying to win and sometimes end up disappointed because they didn't achieve what they wanted (to win etc)

so don't worry and have fun

oh and there will be thousands of people doing the great north run that aren't naturally athletic.....

• What do you mean I'm not naturally athletic? *huff* image got my Outlaw Half number!! Im in the wave with the ladies and the old men - which suits me just fine! 

• these boards have cheered me up no end.  It is nice to see normal (well not sure normal is the right word) on here.  It is good to know that there will be plenty people like me there, just happy to cross the finish line and not care about the time.

Thanks everyone and hope you don't mind being called normal!!!

• Perfectly *normal* - nothing dodgey going on with the Pirates - normal - jog on kitties nowt to see image

• Dilly I’ve done the GNR a few times it’s that big a race at some points it’s not actually possible to run unless you are at the front simply because of the number of runner’s. Don’t worry through you won’t be last. Some top tips for you near the start of the race there is a bridge underpass the correct etiquette is for one person to shout oggy ogggy oggy and everyone else to shout How how how (sorry dyslexic I guaranty I have not spelt that write).

Also after the race transport can be an issue because of the number of people. They do bus’s from the finish line and they are great. But if you wanted to take the metro, don’t bother waiting in a queue for a hour at the first stop available. Walk to the ferry further alone (bit of a trek). Cross there and take the metro from the other side of the river. Will be just as quick and also get to enjoy a boat ride, it is sign posted. Bonus is that there are some very nice takeaway’s around there so if you feel the need for a dirty treat of chip’s and kebab to get and eat them as your walking. As well as the fact that you will be stretching your legs out a little.  In the last mile of the race you have a downhill and then a sharp left along the coast road you’re going to see the finish line. You might be tempted to start sprinting I would hold that thought unless you’re feeling 100% ok after the previous miles and like Bolt. It’s longer to the finish line that you might think from the view. Normally a lot of information about event’s near the finish line so a good place to get tip off’s about other races. It’s a cracking race and very well supported by the local’s you will love it. image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Dilly Dally, we are normal here in the tri world, it is everyone else who is not normal.

I have seen the race photos from the weekend, eek. I can now understand why I did not get jelly legs, I was whole body wobble, I could even feel the belly wobbling, definitely one of the before type photos seen in dieting before and after shots.

I have looked up my race number and had a conversation with my mentor, so it is PMA all the way now.

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

One thing I liked was you didn't know where you were results wise, with all starting at different times. so the people I overtook might have beaten me ... 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Had a moments hesitation when I had to come home to pick up my swimming gear and change my clothes but off I went to the pool only to be told at reception that they were full!image Must go tomorrow morning, should be easier as bf is off on business tomorrow and is leaving tonight so not distractions. 

It's a beautiful evening, warm and sunny but I'm not going to make most of it. 

pippi - yeah, that is great thing about pool tris - specially if you are a slow swimmer as you normally start and therefore finish before all the fast people have started!

steady - PMA for me too, worried about the bike but ce la vie and all that, weather looking good for a long bike ride this weekend though

was that a fail to get up and do something early?

the secret for me to getting up and out early is to have everything ready, when the alarm goes off just get straight out of bed and go. Don't give yourself time to talk yourself out of it. It takes a few weeks for your body to used to this new routine, but this is the best time of year to do it - it was a fantastic morning out there at 5am today image

• I KNOW MC!! Hubby and I said we would have a little sleep in this morning then get into doing the house moving stuff instead of me waking up at 5 - 5.20am - did the weather get on board with the plan? Noooooo - we have to be all shiny and sparkly and stream through the windows image shouldn't complain good day for moving - not raining!

• ooh...cycled in this morning...19.2km 44minutes.  My legs hurt and its going to take another hour before my brain is back online. 

Getting everything ready the night before is a good call.  I faffed around for 30 minutes rather than getting up and just going.  I'm not looking forward to the 19.2km back to the car this evening...did I mention my legs hurt?

One day I'm going to cycle from home to the office...it's only 60km...although I might get the train most of the way home...

buttercup - good luck with the move

pete - cycle in and train home sounds like a good plan

• Cake thank you for the advice on the GNR.  I heard there is a lot of walking at the beginning and i remember to get shoutng under the bridge.  Anything to distract me from what i am actually doing!!  I am going up with my running club and hopefully they will know then best crack for buses but if do have to get the metro will remeber your advice especially the takeaway part. image

Had a good 6 mile run last night and swim session this morning so feeling much better today.  image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Yep, fail to get up and go for a swim. I always have everything ready but when the alarm goes, my only thought is, I'm too tired. image I know I need to fix this, preferably by next week...

ButterCup - good luck with the move, that's quick! We're moving mid June. To a flat couple of doors down and on the other side of the corridor. image

• Unbelievably for the first time in over 12 months I have a virus.Went the docs yesterday with a sore throat she told me to take paracetamol, gargle aspirin and ride it out. So the plan now is total rest today and tomorrow before the triathlon on Saturday.Good luck with the move buttercup, Mikasa I put my alarm on top of my gym kit on the other side of the room the guilt of turning it off and going back to bed usually gets me to the gym.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Good Morning all, a nice OW session last night did 2K so I'm all set image Hill repeats this morning, and something I never though I'd say "I need to find a bigger hill". Got to find one that takes me 3 minutes to climb it, remember I'm in East Anglia image

• image Ali if you want your more than welcome to pop up for a day and Me and sarah can show you a hill or two in the shire.

mikasa- ah, swimming is more of a faff, because the pool isn't right outside your door. Why not aim to get up for a run/walk - maybe just 20 mins to start with to get you used to getting out of bed early? 

great run this morning, with intervals and I saw an enormous hare image

• Half the house moved image off to MB for OW swim soon!  MC I saw like six rabbits chomping down on the lush grass outside Uni of Nottingham Sutton Bonnington campus the other day - they aren't at all bothered by the traffic - obviously no one bothers them either!

• There's plenty of walking in the GNR. Last time I did it I was having to dodge people walking right from the start line, and I suspect it'll be the same again this year. I think a lot of people put down an decent expected finishing time so they don't have to wait as long to get going

• And the buses back aren't too bad. The queues initially look huge, but there are loads of buses picking up from pretty much every point in the line, so you never end up waiting for long. However, I will never, ever, EVER get on the Metro on GNR day ever again. EVER. It's what made me run it in the first place. Went to cheer the wife on, watched the start, went to Monument to get the Metro over to South Shields, and had the worst public transport experience of my life. Decided I'd rather run it than go through that again!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I don't really have any excuses as though the pool is not outside my door, it's only a walking distance away. I will get there!

Usual bike ride after work again. Planning a longer one for the weekend that takes in the tri route I'm doing in June.

Can't believe HIM plan starts on Monday!!! I'm not ready!!!imageimage