Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• cycled back again, it's all up hill!  206m gain...that is blinkin' hard work.  38km round trip...if I do that once a week it'll help with stamina on this series of sprint triathlons.  Back to the pool tomorrow...

This evening I got a bit of sprint training in.  I was going to collect the brat from dancing and saw an injured mallard on the side of the road.  I stopped to pick it up and had to sprint to catch it.  It couldn't fly, but it could run madly along the edge of the main A-road.  Luckily no cars came too see my antics.image

• BeerSwillerBeerSwiller ✭✭✭

First open water session with the tri club last night, the water being described as "duck poop soup" by a regular didn't exactly fill me with confidence but in the end I really enjoyed it. It's definitely strange swimming in murky waters but with buoyancy of my wetsuit and the sun shining it was a good night.

As it's the first club session of the year it's billed as an acclimatisation swim, this meant there were plenty of other first timers and after 10-15 minutes splashing round we just swam a couple of short laps, swimming with 40 other people in the same space was an experience but I was surprised how quickly I settled and how little not being able to see the bottom bothered me, my next tri is in the lake the club session was at so I'm really pleased to have had the chance to get in and experience it before the event.

• thanks for all the GNR advice.  It is really helpful.

I have never swam outside and can't wait to try a session or two but need a wetsuit first.  It is on my birthday list.

Today's plan is a quick lunch time run and then tonight i am going for an induction at the gym as i need to get some strength training done.  Tomorrow's plan is to get out on my bike and do a good long ride (well long for me!).

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Pete - great cycling there.

BeerSwiller - well done on your first OW!

I'm the only one here who can't do fc? image 

Anyhoo, got my race number and time for the tri. My swim starts 12:13:30pm.

• Mikasa sometimes it's better to do breaststroke properly than FC badly I did the sandman sprint last year unable to do FC and came 71st of 196 people on the swim passed loads of people attempting to swim fc
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good pedalling Pete.

Well done on an enjoyable first OW swim.

I have had an extra rest day, the muscles in leg and back went very tight again, so back on the icing and stretching and foam roller. I have booked a pre race sort out by the brilliant team that keep my body together. I will be pleased when I do not have to pay out so much to be put back together, then I can afford other things in life.

• Do many people do breaststroke?  I am happy with front crawl but my friend is really struggling to get her breathing right.

• Glasslegs wrote (see)
    Mikasa sometimes it's better to do breaststroke properly than FC badly I did the sandman sprint last year unable to do FC and came 71st of 196 people on the swim passed loads of people attempting to swim fc

There is a problem with FC sometimes at open water races in that a lot of people are some buzy with the body position that they don't spot and look where there are going. Mean's folks doing breaststroke look like they are a lot quicker than the FC'ers. Seen it time and again. Was talking to Caz after Stratford tri sunday and she has some very interesting things to say about it.

Depending on how you swim FC isn't any quicker just can be if you do it right and also mean's you have fresh legs for the bike afterwards. Tom who sometimes pop's on the threads did outlaw swim the other year in about 1:20 all breaststroke.

• Dilly Dally wrote (see)

Do many people do breaststroke?  I am happy with front crawl but my friend is really struggling to get her breathing right.

Ask her to slow down a little if she can and see if it makes a difference. I still do breaststroke would rather I didn't because know would be quicker if I FC but struggle with it over distances. I've done Ironman distances races that way. Working in it, I didn't meet the cut off for the bike at a ironman in 2011 and one of the factor's I know was not doing FC, other being lack of training because of stuff on.

• thanks i will pass the advice on.  She is working with a tri club but worried that the tri is getting closer and that she hasn't mastered it.  the option of doing both strokes will make her feel so much happier.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Lots of people in sprint tri's do breast stroke. Nothing to be ashamed of but I'd rather do fc and keep my legs fresh. Plan is to learn it before Wild Boar. I'm just about average in time, takes me about 10mins to do 400m but I can't do even a length of fc properly. Will need to contact the swim co-ordinator in my local leisure centre as s/he hasn't returned my message.

The lessons are quite expensive though, what I was thinking was get 1-2-1 session first so s/he can concentrate on just me and then do the group sessions and then now and again go back to 1-2-1 lessons. Sound sensible?

• thanks everyone it has really helped. 

Does anyone recommend good goggles as mine are leaking?

• Lol last night I spent the first lap getting used to the wettie again and dealing with the cold water affecting my breathing image not to mention the fact I couldn't sight properly due to the goggles fogging up!  And there was fair bit of weed in the lake but it was lovely to be back in OW again - am so much happier swimming in OW than in the pool.

Mikasa I do front crawl as I struggle with breast stroke! I went to adult group lessons but it was more of a refresher since I learned FC as a child.  Going to swim smooth also helped me image

• Are you wearing moisturiser or sunscreen DD? That will cause the seal to break between your skin and the goggle.

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

I invested in some Zoggs (Phantom?) goggles that seem better than my old ones, but I think it's a very personal thing. (I wanted to avoid the pressure rings round my eyes!)

Just read some random posts in the cr@p swimmers thread (I mean random as in not current - browsing through) that assured us that 2xweek for 3 months and you could do the 400m in FC. Shall I accept that challenge?

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Starting Monday ...

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

pippi - yes image

short bike done (turbo because didn't have time to take it off)

great swim last night image

dilemma time, I have two interviews on Weds. Teacher interviews are all day long things. One school is a posh girl's school in Lincolnshire, the other an academy in East Leake - so need to decide which interview to go to

• Hi all, Just got back from hols so need to catch up on the forums a bit, went to Abagele in North Wales, didn't do any training due to calf and Achilles strain, the rest did me a lot of good but a bit worried I'm missing a lot of training. North Wales is a great place for cycling, made a few notes on places to visit with the bike in the future, lots of lovely hills and amazing scenery, we were near Llandudno

good luck to all racing tomorrow, and happy training yonthe rest of us image

• oooh MC...the eternal problem...teach the rich or the poor?

Personally, I'd go with the one that pays the most! although if the posh school has better facilities...think of the training potential...

I need to get my ass in gear with front crawl too...missed my swim at lunch 'cos of work meetings...

I haven't seen a friday weigh in for a while...I'm at 73kg...same as last week.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - difficult decision, can't one be moved to another day?

Garmin wasn't connecting to Garmin Connect yesterday but was happy to notice that my average moving speed was 13.9mph on my ride yesterday. I did decide to push on the upflats rather than slack off.

1066m swim tonight, feeling quite tired after that. Have been good with food this week and even managed to stay within calorie allowance yesterday although I went out to eat at lunch and had a cider after my ride. I'm not a big drinker at all and most weeks won't have anything but have found Sainsubury's low alcohol cider nice and at 97kcal, perfect for a tipple. 

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Many years ago I had two interviews in three days - one at the poshest state primary, one at the poorest. At the posh one, when the Head came back with the decision, I was thinking to myself, "don't choose me!" And he didn't. I'm still happily at the other school, 70-80% free school meals! etc...

• East Leake is a nice wee town MC image has a good sprint tri too image

mikasa - teaching jobs are a bit weird, they interview everyone on the same day and make a decision that day, the interview day is horrendous....

buttercup - don't think the existence of a good tri has any bearing on the school!

• mathschick - I think the time spent commuting on top of my working day would be a big factor for me - if there's much difference between them. Would potentially having different holidays to your children be an issue? Mostly though I tend to listen to my 'gut' with things like that. Subconsciously I think I usually know what I'd really like to happen. Hope you have a good long ride this weekend - lots of thinking time image

Buttercup - hope you have a great day tomorrow. Looks as though you're going to get lovely weather for it. Remember - it's supposed to hurt!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

buttercup - good luck tomorrow, weather is going to hot so remember your suncream!!

LMH - it is so hard, as I don't actually know either school or anyone that works at either. Both are about the same distance from home, but slightly further than where I work now. But I don't want to stay where I am now, I know that definitely. I am thinking of ringing the one in East Leake on Monday and asking if I can go and look round on Tuesday, just be honest with them about already having an interview set up for the Wednesday. If I like what I see on Tuesday then I would know which interview I want to go to. 

yes, planning a long ride tomorrow and looking at the forecast I think I need to get out really early so I don't boil in the heat! It is the local triathlon tomorrow so I need to try to plan my route so I don't end up going past the start//finish of the bike leg - which is a shame, because they use part of the Northern loop of the Outlaw half course! (bit between Southwell and Lowdham) which has a few nice sharp uphill bits. Thinking of heading out of town a different way, swinging round by the river which gives me a longer, but flatter, route then just a little bit of their bike course up to Lowdham and round to Oxton. 

It will be interesting to see what they do tomorrow actually as there are roadworks and temporary traffic lights heading up the hill straight out of transition (and back in) - to be honest it seems a bit dangerous for bikes how it is laid out, and not good for a race....

• That sounds like a plan re work MC - it also sounds as though you know which school you'd favour really........ I hope they've cleared the road works for the tri, sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Two bottles on your bike and you'll be fine - it might be hot on race day image

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.