Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

It was fine - only went out for 10 minutes and stuck to cycle paths. Like learning to ride a bike again though. Going to take me a few weeks to get the confidence to hit the roads - it's very reactive to any little movement - i'm half way across the road before I know it.

Looking behind me - changing gears - braking - switching hand positions - toe clips: all pose varying challenges for me lol.

• Options

haha, you'll get used to it quickly

ad a good swim this evening, didn't do any running or biking - gosh Sundays are long when you don't spend half the morning running! And it is annoying having to be around arguing kids! But nice to spend some time with them really

• Options

Took me a while to get used to the handlebars and gears, coming from a purely mountain biking background, but it's second nature now. Had the benefit of having used SPD pedals in the past so although a different mechanism, road SPDs don't bother me. The main issue I had was changing from holding the drops to getting up onto the hoods at speed coming downhill when I had to come to a stop, but practice practice practice and it's no problem now

• Options

Took me a while to get used to the handlebars and gears, coming from a purely mountain biking background, but it's second nature now. Had the benefit of having used SPD pedals in the past so although a different mechanism, road SPDs don't bother me. The main issue I had was changing from holding the drops to getting up onto the hoods at speed coming downhill when I had to come to a stop, but practice practice practice and it's no problem now

• Options

ooh, first run since Inverness...and it wasn't fun.  How can I loose fitness after only 3 weeks of eating donuts and playing skyrim?

Still, I'm back on it now.  Swim wednesday...donuts are good for swimming, surely?

• Options
    Durhambiker wrote (see)

My A race for the year might just have changed from A Day In The Lakes (half) to Outlaw (full), providing Cancer Research still have places available, after a chat with the wife.

image Cool.

Pete I can confirm donut's are good in all circumstances. image Just as long is it's not 20 unless you want to share.

• Options

Donuts taste the best after long runs.

• Options

My legs feel like jelly and my knee feels like its going to collapse as I walk. I only did 3 miles. Still, what doesn't cause permanent damage makes us stronger. 

• Options

Eek - not good to have jelly legs after 3 miles. Hope donuts make the swim easier.... 

DB - glad to hear it is possible to stop on a downhill. I usually hold on for grim death and hope i dont come to a junction or hazard. 

Maths - i find dark evenings loooooong too, wishing now i hadnt got rid of my turbo and treadie. 

• Options

Well I spoke to the people at Cancer Research UK, and they do indeed still have places left for Outlaw. All hinges now on the wife making a decision about work by Friday which will pretty much dictate how the next 12 months will pan out. Fingers crossed!

• Options

Durham just remember training for a IM is a bit selfish on a relationship. Hope it's all system's go because that way I can talk rubbish to you on the bike route through. image

• Options

Cake ... you're not admitting that you talk rubbish ... are you image

• Options

image Do I ever say anything else?

• Options

Cake is the master in distraction techniques, as proved by the assistance in getting me around the run on Outlaw Half.  Dustboy is good for talking to you on the bike, he gets me up the hills.

• Options

Well we'll both be training for it, some of which we'll be able to do together. I imagine I'll be talking plenty of rubbish by the time I'm on the bike anyway!

• Options

evening all

I have had a few lazy and piggy days of eating loads doing no exercise image

that needs to stop before it becomes a habit though!

• Options

As you know, I’ve ditched Couch 2 5k in a desperate attempt to get closer to the 10k distance before the 8th of November. I ran for 30 minutes straight tonight in Hurricane Gonzalo.

First time I've used nike plus app and apparently I did 3.18 miles in 30 minutes at a pace of 9.26 mpm. Very proud of myself.

things are coming together this week...swam 16 lengths consecutively on Monday and ran 5k tonight image. Just got to sort the bike now.

• Options

I've been a bit bad on the food front recently. It's my job that's at fault. Spend all day trying to sell people nice biscuits and have to try to resist eating them myself

• Options

mmmmm biscuit's.image Finally got back on the bike last night it was a bit windy. image

• Options

I have done my little run /walk again stayed at 1 minute run and 2 minutes walk, but it felt much better.

• Options

well done rp and steady

I have done nothing again (well, apart from work and I had parents evenings on Monday and Tuesday so I am pretty tired)

cake - you must have been mad going out on the bike yesterday!!

• Options

Didn't fancy going out on the bike yesterday, was nearly blown over a couple of times at work just standing on people's doorsteps so didn't like the idea of going out on two wheels!

• Options

Sensible decision Durhambiker.

MC, are parents evenings any better at the new school or much the same?

• Options

Its good to see folk doing stuff. I went to the pool at lunch. I forgot my goggles so did 30 mins of lazybreast stroke. I think I'm going to increase the swimming and drop the running as clearly the marathon has damaged something in my legs. After mondays run, I hobbled around like an invalid on tuesday. Swim and turbo for me over the winter. 

• Options

image Math's I was going slowly mad with not being out on the bike for a few day's.

• Options

So some of you may have seen the thread I started here:http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/my-triathlon-story/282060.html

Will try to update thread and post here as I start on this journey!

I just wondered what events people would recommend for next year? Looking to start with some Sprint Tri's and then move up to full Tri later in summer...

I am also running the London marathon so have to factor that in too. What events would people suggest? I am based in West Midlands but happy to travel... 

• Options

Matt there are a few tri's near you depending roughly where in the west midlands are you? First thing that springs to mind is east leake and Straitford if any good?

• Options

Hmm both of those look good. I live in Stourbridge so both are within reach. The east leake looks like a good one right at start of the season although I get back from Australia 3 days before. That should sort the Jetlag out!

• Options

A few folks on the thread have done it in the past and it's a nice little race. Pool's a bit small but other than that it's brilliant.

Stourbridge is near dudley isn't it? Might be worth while checking these guys out BRAT I've played with them a lot at races and mostly a friendly bunch.

• Options

I hadn't heard of them. Looks like they have quite a few sessions. I have been for the last couple of weeks to the swim sessions with Black Country Triathletes on a Wednesday night.

Am sure I missed the lesson at school on swimming! Hopefully get out on the bike at weekend but have all the family so may not be possible... ;-(