Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Maths - we did Vegas, San Francisco, LA and Orlando. It was a great trip other than some pretty bad morning sickness during LA, nearly booked a flight home early, but everything settled in the end.

Had a good run last night, only 4 miles but knee felt great and it's the longest run of the year so far. Then went on a nice hilly ride this morning. Starting to get back into things now And feeling great.

Steady - Good luck for the weekend! Hope the weather isn't too bad for you

• 20 miles done on the bike today, down to my brother-in-law's to see my new nephew. So was up at 7 and in the garage doing the service on the bike I had intended to do last night before I was dragged down to the pub.

Nicely set up with new cables on the brakes and gears, new brake pads, nice set of colour coordinated Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres and some nice new black bar tape to replace the knackered, grubby white rubbish that was on there before.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8829/18247604246_8040b1ae8f_z.jpg

• Went for a fast paced run today, it was'nt meant to be it just happened. I ran 5 miles at an avg pace 8:53min/m which surprised as I did'nt think it that fast, that is 19 seconds per mile faster than my last run.image

Good luck to anyone doing the Outlaw Half, "dont be shit" image

• DB.... Bike looking good mate.  image

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

wow, well done razor

DB - nice bike image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

*Pops weary head and body into the thread*

Not a good day in the office yesterday, most peeps will have seen on fb. I recorded a DNF due to hypothermia.

Basically I got cold at the swim start and never got better, I couldn't feed or drink enough on the bike and by the second feed station I knew I was in trouble. Managed about 48 miles then stopped at a marshall on a junction and got assisted back to HPP in a van, with an extra jacket on, heating on full blast but still shivering. Straight to medical tent and wrapped up like a roasting chicken to warm up. The helpers were wonderful. I even got 2 air cadets to carry my kit back to the campsite.

This morning I have a headache, feel knackered and sorting out wet kit and tent that almost blew away when I took it down.

Mojo is missing and can stay away until recovered.

• Bad luck Steady. I reckon you stopped at the right point. The return from the southern loop was the worst few miles on the route; full on headwind for most of it made it really tough.

Recover well

• Steady take it easy cook - guarantee the full won't be as bad!!

• Oof nasty. Look after yerself.

steady - well done for doing 48 miles in that weather! You did better than I did, I didn't even start. You had a good swim by the looks of it, and I think your bike was looking good time-wise despite the weather? Good call to stop when you did, hypothermia can be pretty serious and you didn't land up in hospital - so a win really. I know hits your confidence, but you will bounce back. Give yourself chance to recover properly and there are 8 weeks left till the full. You won't be wet and cold from the swim then so it will be a lot easier. Look after yourself

• And put the blame squarely where it belongs, on the this frankly ridiculous weather we're having at the moment. I actually wished I had my gloves with me at work this afternoon. In June!

• Massively tremendous effort Steady. To have got that far is a credit to you. Make sure you rest up, hypothermia is not funny. You will kick arse at the full!!!!!

Nice bike DB image

Top quality running Razor, you're getting quite good at this malarkey image

I had a small tempo run in the dodgy weather. Hopeful swim tomorrow depending. Then long days at work till the weekend. Have a good week peeps! 

• Well done Steady and the guys/gals racing at Outlaw this weekend. Conditions were awful so top marks. 

Razor, running is coming along nice now, sub 3h marathon soon.

Injury has stuck again with me, foot issues again but oh well, onwards and upwards. 

Just cycling and swimming this week to recover my foot or otherwise it will be a swim/bike event of the 113

• Well done steady for getting that far. Rest up and come back stronger!

• wow steady! you don't do anything by halves do you? Hypothermia is really serious.  You definitely did the right thing pulling out.

what doesn't kill you and all that...although hypothermia can kill so it's best to be on the safe side.

• [looks around]...hello...is there anybody there?

I ran yesterday and cycled today.  It was actually sunny today.  A big yellow thing in the sky.  Not seen one of those in about a month it seems.

I didn't bring my tri-shorts today so I cycled in my running kit and now I have a chaffing issue.  I'm sitting in the office trying not to wince.

Yesterday's run was slower than normal, but todays cycle felt faster.

• image ouch!

Im here but I havent done a thing except yoga on Sat - was meant to be Pilates last night and run this morning but tummy was being silly so nothing was done yesterday.  Hopefully a run or two this weekend!

I am here, I have just been busy with work etc

done some running and a bit of bike this week

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am here, recovering nicely now, although still tired at times. Tuesday I went for my post race massage. I did need it even though I thought my legs were not too bad, the evil but very talented chap found the knots and tight bits and got rid of them, all the time discussing what had happened during the race, he is about to do London to Edinburgh by bike.

I have done one Pilates class which I was terrible at, the muscles were still recovering but I just did what I could.

Yesterday was FiL's funeral, which went very well. I plan on doing a bike ride on Saturday to see how I get on.  This evening whilst the sun is still out I am going to attempt laying out the tent and folding it up back into its bag.

steady - looks like the weather will be nice for a ride on saturday. Good to hear the FIL had a good send off, hope you and your OH are ok.

• I'm here......Ran 5 miles yesterday in the warm sunshine image avg pace  9:06 min/m a bit down on Saturdays run but feeling really good,... now where's that thing with 2 wheels on....image

• I'm here but nasty nights followed by long days has destroyed me image

• Good luck to anyone racing this weekend. I've got my first sprint of the season tomorrow image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good luck Mrs Digger

I ventured out on the bike, nervous beforehand and not enjoying it at all for the first 15 mins or so. But at the end of a pleasant pedal around some country lanes and villages I had done 28.5 miles at an average speed of 13.6mph which was not bad, the route was pretty flat but it gave me confidence. Then this afternoon whilst food shopping I bumped into a fellow Outlaw Half competitor who had not realised that I DNF'd but she also found the water very cold and had only today got back in for a swim so I do not feel quite so bad.

good luck MrsD

steady - good to hear you are back on the bike and feeling better

I totally failed to get out of bed for my planned early run, but I did promise to take the kids out on the bikes so we are off in a bit

• We were supposed to be in Keswick today for the triathlon, but last night we decided to sack it off. Better to get a long ride in today than do a tri and spend next week recovering from it. Just wish this wind would die down a bit, sick of it. It is sunny though

DB - yeah, the wind is a pain, I thought it might have eased off by this morning

I did have a nice ride with the kids - think the youngest in particular was glad of time with me to chat and have some fun together. And we had brekki out image

• Steady - nice work! You know what they say about getting back on the bike image 

It does seem to get very windy at the weekend at the mo image

Today luckily the weather was crackin! Wee supersprint completed. Body survived, tomorrow will be the tell though. Did pretty well for me so chuffied! Onwards and upwards image

• You did good, Bird (and with a smile all the way round) image

I have not signed up for anything Tri-related this year. Did consider the Novice Race attached to MrsD's event but chickened out due to no bike or run training at all for two years (and then off work for three days with suspected viral fatigue) image

well done MrsD

schmunks - sorry to hear you have been unwell, wise to pull out/chicken out if you have been ill