Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Yep tried some barefoot running last year and ended up with lots of niggles!!
  • I am however intrigued by Vibram Five Fingers.
  • Haven't tried them, but did some barefoot beach running and ended up changing my running style after a couple of weeks. I stick to sauconys but think shoes have become too engineered.
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

ah tits! I've just seen this and i LOVE my MP3. run with it ALWAYS and i don't fancy doing a full mara without but i guess i'll have to HTFU, would rather run without tunes than get disqualified.

I like my tunes always have always will, for me its part of the running, time out from the world to enjoy an album or 3 and just switch off, nowt wrong in that and I use it in races to keep my focus and it helps in the hard bits. I dont run races to chat to people, i run them for me and me alone and for my own personal acheievement at completing it. Plus i like the shiny medals. image

Then again i ran london without an mp3 so i can do it, but the atmosphere is a bit more lively than the "start in" edinburgh marathon........

• North London Runner - surely Limper was talking about MP3 players ?
  • Just went for a three mile shuffle without my earphones on. The best I'll give you is I didn't hate it. I did the miles in around the same time I would expect but it did feel harder. I'll see how training goes and try without every now and then I think.
  • skotty wrote (see)
    Kicked-It wrote (see)

I ran it last year: there is not a cat in hells chance of you getting disqualified for wearing your ipod - none whatsoever

on what basis can you make that bold statement?

it has already been reported that other races are getting stricter and mp3 players are becoming more of an issue that it was at this time last year.

past performance is no indicator of future trends.

er... on the basis that I ran it last year, and hundreds of people were wearing ipods, and no-one got banned.

I'd say that was fairly weighty empirical evidence in support of my bold statement.

Of course, someone on here has alleged that other races are getting stricter... can anyone produce an example then? Anyone know of a concrete example of someone being banned / disqualed for wearing an mp3 at a mass participation event?

You stand a fair chance of getting pulled up during a smaller / club event, but amongst 15,000 runners on the closed route at Edinmburgh? I repeat: not a cat in hells chance

Gordon - be assured, if you want to flout the rules and use your mp3 then you will get away with it and there is no way you will get disqualified. You have already been bombarded with reasons why its a bad idea, but that wasn't your question was it?

Personally, I started with MP3 accompaniment but ran without it in prep for my first race - where they were banned. I didnt think I could do it without my mp3, but I've discovered the opposite to be true and have never worn one since. I couldnt bear the thought of it now.

One word of caution though: although the roads are closed at Edinburgh, there were ambulances on the course at least twice last year to collect heat exhausted and collapsed runners... and I saw a couple of bell ends with MP3 players in holding up the ambulance until fellow runners gave them a shove and bollocked them to get out of the bloody way...... its your call though

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Kicked-It wrote (see)

er... on the basis that I ran it last year, and hundreds of people were wearing ipods, and no-one got banned.

exactly as i said. it doesn't mean there is no chance whatsoever they will do something about it this year .

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Kicked-It wrote (see)

One word of caution though: although the roads are closed at Edinburgh, there were ambulances on the course at least twice last year to collect heat exhausted and collapsed runners... and I saw a couple of bell ends with MP3 players in holding up the ambulance until fellow runners gave them a shove and bollocked them to get out of the bloody way...... its your call though

so you don't think incidents like that would cause a change in policy? it should.

you're probably correct though in that nothing will be done, I just felt it a bit misleading to say there was no chance whatsoever simply based on past races.

• Every race I have entered has stated that the wearing of MP3s is banned and in every one of them hundreds of people have worn them. In all of these races I have been deeply frustrated by wearers of headphones oblivious to the presence of those around them. It's not a case of not being able to hear emergency vehicles but not being able to hear other runners behind/beside them.

GET OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY

• I think they call that empirical data, and it is overwhelming imo

Nothing has ever happened before at a mass participation event - ever ever. On that basis I'm pretty confident, given that no other parameters have altered, no specific and overt warning issued by the organisers, no high profile incidents, that empirical data wins out as an excellent basis upon which to forecast that nothing will happen this year.

At the absoloute best, a marshall may say something.... and be ignored.

I hate the damn things myself and I'd chuck 'em all in the sea if it was up to me.. but the time isnt yet right for the popular revolution to sweep me to power at the head of a benign dictatorship smashing up MP3 players, and Vauxhall Novas with stadium sized speaker systems and bendy busses .... but it will be one day soon.... oh yes you mark my words the day is coming.....

• Sorry I lost the plot  bit there
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Kicked-It wrote (see)

It's not your call.  It's the race director's call.  It's against the rules, which are there for a reason.  Train with it all you want.  It's not allowed in the race, so leave it off for the race.

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    North London Runner wrote (see)

Pretty amazing Grace.....No was referring to Limper who suggested wheelchairs should be banned.

cougie wrote (see)
    North London Runner - surely Limper was talking about MP3 players ?

Yes she was talking about MP3's. Thanks Cougie image

Can anyone explain why it is ME who feels guilty at spooking the runner in front as I overtake them (oh yes folks, it happens!) because they are unaware I am coming past due to being absorbed in their music?!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Kicked-it, can I be your deputy please? Pretty please?

(Coz then I can stage a palace coup and set up a very un-benign dictatorship) image

• Whe looking at the route map for Edinburgh, I note that there are water and water/fuel stations. What do they give out at the fuel stations?
  • Lucozade sport Gordon.
  • Interstingly the ambulance that was held up was for people NOT wearing MP3's!!!

Ah Tits!!

• Ah cool. In cup or a bottle?

I really need to decide what I'm going to do instead of just water once my long runs get long enough. Tried Gel in the past, not sure if it works for me or not. It seems to be another massive debate with lots of differing views.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

A big debate cos different things work for different people.  I used jelly babies for my first marathon, along with water and Lucozade Sport supplied on the course.  This worked ok but I found towards the end of the race - it was a warm day - they were sticking in my throat.  Since then I've used SIS Go Gels.  I've only ever compared them with Lucozade gels but found them much less sickly and they don't need to be washed down with water.  Some people complain they're a bit like swallowing snot but I found they go down all right.

• Ditto PhilPub - SIS easy to swallow and non sticky gels, with the lucozade sport on the course as back up, (it hydrates as well as providing fuel).

It comes in bottles Gordon

Experiment ahead of the day

This years GNR had water bottles and Lucozade Lite. Important not to get the two confused and chuck a bottle of water over your head only to find your eyes stinging with isotonic sport drink.... from experience....

Muttley - you can join  - you are in charge of wiping Lucozade Lite from the face of the earth.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Kicked-It wrote (see)

This years GNR had water bottles and Lucozade Lite. Important not to get the two confused and chuck a bottle of water over your head only to find your eyes stinging with isotonic sport drink.... from experience....

...and don't spill Lucozade Sport down your chest at  24 miles, only to discover that your surgical tape has come away from your right nipple, which has been bleeding for the last few miles.  Yowser.
  • I don't use gels Gordon, I carry my camelbak with 2 litres of water with nuun tablets in it. I do carry jelly babies as well and used the lucozade sport provided but don't normally use sports drinks.

During long training runs I use my camelbak and when I get home after some water either drink milk or if i'm really wrecked I grab one of the cans of coke I keep hidden at the back of the fridge.
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

I need to see what I fancy doing this yr, only problem i've found in a mara is the sis gels are quite cumbersome, don't fancy running with a little runners bum bag thingy again so i'd prefer a gel belt or gel arm thingy (I'm not good with the words this am!!). Only up to 11 at the moment anyway so no immediate rush.

• SIS do do a specific gel belt for your waist ?
  • ooo - an MP3 debate - how unusual..... image

having read through, this is almost an exact parallel to the one for Brighton Marathon last year where we had the "but I can't run without mine" brigade vs the "well the rules say no" brigade. I'm always in the don't wear them camp.

it was the 1st Brighton marathon and they had the chance to make a stand and DQ anyone caught wearing them to send a message out - but sadly they didn't and there were hundreds of people wearing them across the finish line despite the supposed ban. the organisers blew it frankly so from now on they might say no MP3s but they will have difficulty enforcing it now as precedence has been set. what a shame eh??

I shall keep working on my anti-MP3 interference device which sends an electric signal through the earpiece of anyone in range who shouldn't be wearing one. that will sort the issue out.....and I will be rich. *cough* image

• I actually live on the route. I'll make sure my stereo speakers are balanced on the windowsill and at full volume to help those in need of some music. Any requests?
  • ^^ where have you been fb? image
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Biffy Clyro pls Scott image

Re the sis gels - i think i just want gels that aren't so bulky in themselves as sis are, they packets are just so long. Will see whats out there and experiment......