Options

UK Gear PT-1000 Running Trainers

Comments

• Options
    At least I don't need to 'sex' up my ultra experiance!!!!  imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    They have started selling these in my local SPorts Direct for £69.99 but they are listed as trial shoes, are they trail or road shoes?
  • Options

these shoes are awesome image

(slight rubbing of tongue on top of toe aside)

Their versality is incredible and on hard uneven service (trails, hard mud, rocky roads) they are in a league of their own!

• Options
    Did the Lakeland Mini Marathon Trail Race (16k) on Sunday in a pair of the support version. The trail was predominently loose stone but included rock and tree roots. There was some very steep sections up and down (when does a trail become a fell race?). The shoes never gave me any concern about losing grip even when barrelling along far too fast for my own good. The only small complaint was bruised toe ends due to occasional braking when things got too steep, this dispersed within 24 hours.
  • Options
    I use uk gear trainers and I am very happy with them,I never seem to get stones in them despite most of my running being on trails,had Silver shadows and quite liked those but these are way better IMHO of course
  • Options

200miles in, toe rubbing still requires substantial zinc oxide tape pre run and now stitching is coming undone on the side! image

Still think theyre a great trail shoe though image

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    I picked up a pair from Sports Direct for £50 a few weeks ago...

http://www.sportsdirect.com/Products/Default.aspx?DescriptionFilter=pt-1000

Did a 15-mile run at the weekend which included trails, tarmac, slow, fast, up, down and they coped with it all. First big test will be a 40-mile ultra this weekend.
  • Options

I was luck enough to win a pair of these, and entry to the same Ultra Race Peaks 40 miler.  After 3 weeks training in them all I can say is there appear to be the perfect trail shoe for me.  Well put together, and  not one blister after the 40 miles yesterday.  I was lucky enough to come in 17th, which I was super pleased with.

I will be putting a full race report up on My Blog later this evening, which also has my training ramblings etc up there, should anyone be interested.

Sonny

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

Sonny I saw you at Peaks - I came in 19th. I passed you and another chap on that "long road" after CP3 then you both caught up with a mile to go image

I'd have to agree with your comments on the PT-1000's - they worked brilliantly for me too over the 40 miles, very comfortable. I did slip once and fall on some loose gravel but that was probably more down to me than anything.

They'll remain my shoe of choice for long stuff from now!

• Options

Got these shoes shortly before the Al Andalus Ultra Trail 220km.  The routes were mainly dry, dusty, sandy, rocky trails.  I only took these shoes and they still looked good as new on finishing, apart from the dust (can't say the same for a certain team mate whose shoes disintegrated with the rough wear). Next up they were worn a couple of weeks later in The High in India (Himalayas), a 222km non-stop race.  I wore them for the second half as I took 2 pairs of shoes for this race.  The first pair of Asics were wet after half way and then changed.  I had 4 blisters by that stage and progressed to the finish with feet feeling much better and no new blisters by the finish.  Toe box feels much more spacious that other shoes, the route was rough underfoot similar to AAUT, rocky, dusty, sandy and steep gradients.  I have run in excess of 400 miles in these now, the structure and support is good, the cushioning did not initially feel as good as other shoes but the impact on the body after wearing these in two long ultras appears to indicate that the cushioning is excellent.  Neither event left my legs in shreds which shoes with lesser cushioning would probably have resulted. Would recommend these shoes for trail ultras no problem (and I have run over 1000 races!).

• Options

Having covered well over 1000miles in the PT1000 I am now using a new pair. This is an excellent shoe for the majority of routes and races I do in the hot, dry, mountainous terrain of Andalucia. I feel that for the majority of trail/ultra/stage racers this is the perfect shoe choice, only extreme technical routes require something more specific, but overall this shoe will cope with anything you throw at it.

I also highly recommend the PT03Desert, this has to be the best shoe on the market for desert racing things like the MdS. It is also possibly the only shoe in the running market that can be re soled. I have just had this done as after 700km the 'mainly' forefoot outsole was worn flat. The uppers were still in excellent condition and as an 'everyday' shoe they were too good to chuck. A local cobbler replaced the soles, 12 euro well spent.  

• Options

Hi Kittenkat, take it you are friend of Boris the batimage

• Options
    I love my PT-1000s. Closing in on 400 miles of running now, plus a trekking holiday in south west France where they were my main shoe and climbed 3 mountains. I'm not sure they will last me the full 1000 miles as they are starting to show some wear and tear now - where the red loops that secure the laces are attached to the main part of the shoe the stitching has come undone on one shoe. I run pretty "heavy" but the shoes show very little wear on the base. I will be getting a new pair probably end of the year and run them alongside the old. This time I think I will drop down a half size as they are pretty roomy in the toe area and I have pretty wide feet.
  • Options
    Interesting comment on toe box width David. I had a pair of PT-03's from this stable a couple of years ago and, while they were a good shoe I found them pinching in my little toe. and was never completly comfortable as a consequence. I also found they were sized large (or small depending on your view point ) and I needed a size bigger than my normal (11 instead of a Brooks 10). Perhaps these issues have been thrashed out and I should try again. Does anyone know a chain (or a store in the Bristol area) which carries these?
  • Options
    ironman 1984 wrote (see)
    Interesting comment on toe box width David. ................. Perhaps these issues have been thrashed out and I should try again. Does anyone know a chain (or a store in the Bristol area) which carries these?

Yup most Black stores stock them, they have had them in the Bristol store in the past. Some Sports direct stores have them, I don't think I've seen them in Bristol though.

• Options

shoe update:

on about 520 miles of running now and they are starting to fall apart around the toe area. The mesh there first split on the left hand shoe near my little toe, I have now noticed it is split on the same shoe on the other side plus the inside of the right shoe. I have emailed UKGear with my observations but as yet no reply. I do like the shoe but they have certainly not lasted me 1000 miles

• Options

update to update:

I emailed Rowena and she got straight onto the case. I will be sending the shoes back to them for further investigation. Top company that seem to really care about customer services

• Options
    Does any one have used PT-1000 shoes in Marathon?.
  • Options
    Um,

Not that bothered about the durability...but am looking for a shoe that can hack it on the road and on trails that doesn't have a hugely built up heel.

Would welcome comments as to whether the PT-1000s inadvertently promote heel strike...
  • Options
    Thanks KK: I had a feeling that heavy heel striking was unlikely in an ultra runner such as yourself but you never know...

I'm paranoid about heel striking - reckon it's been the cause of injuries in the past and have never got past 10k.

Might well give these a go.
  • Options
    Much lol. Great idea.

What did we do before t'internet and camera phones...

X-ref'd with the photos from the UKGear site you can get a pretty good idea of what the foot position's like without having to try them on.

Much appreciated...

They definitely qualify as clean...my shoes look like they've been immersed totally in mud after all the rain here.