Cycling shorts for IM

From speaking to a few of you last year, I know that in IM races, a lot of people tend to wear non-piratey cycling shorts with more padding than our standard tri shorts.  I did the Vit last year in the same pair of shorts for the swim, cycle and run without discomfort on the bike but am now starting to wonder if I would be better off changing after each discipline in Regensburg to be as comfy as possible given it's going to be a long hard day and changing isn't a big issue.

What do most people tend to do and if you do wear specific cycle shorts on the bike rather than the pirate kit, any pointers towards good brands?

Comments

• don't listen to what others do - do what is right for you. we're all different.

trial and error is good way to see what's best

• I wore uber padded bike shorts on my first IM and minimally padded pirate tri shorts on my second, and couldn't really say that either was more comfy..... but at least not having to change shorts was one less thing to worry about!

If I do another, I'll again go for the tri shorts for convenience sake - it's gonna hurt either way after all image

• I train in normal bike shorts but race in a tri suit.
  • I normally wear bike shorts for rides.....

Last year, for IM,  I had the vague idea of putting a pair of cycle shorts on over my tri shorts for the bike,

I tried it in training and decided i felt like I hd a nappy on, so gave that up....

I tried a pair of pirate tri shorts for a 3-4 hour ride and all was ok - so did that for the events and all was ok.
    NOTE - I ride daily so have a hard arse... (no comments please!!)

buy a pair and trainin in them and see how it does.

try 2 pairs of shorts and see how uncomfortable it is.

decide if stripping your bike shorts off in T2 infront of the young frauiline / old Frau / young manschen / Old codger is worth  embarisment factor.

Tri shorts the entire way - HTFU**!!!!

** try in long rides first - its fine!

ps i am pissed sorry for a crap post

• I wore bike shorts over tri shorts for my first and just tri-shorts for my second.  As per Mlle DTB, not a great deal in it comfort wise (at the time).  I had nerve damage following the second, but that was due to spending too much time in the saddle on the climbs. 
  • I went the alternative route. 2XU compression shorts under the wetsuit, then Endura cycle shorts on top in T1, then whip off the cycle shorts in T2, and ready to run in the compression shorts. All tried and tested in training, found it far more comfortable on the bike, and no chamois, however small, for the run.
  • personally i wore sugoi piston tri shorts....IMO you dont need all that padding unless you're a girl image

seriously though...piston shorts are brill....fine on the bike and you dont notice the padding at all when running.

be the same this year but as already said....down to individual choice
  • I did the Vit last year in the same pair of shorts for the swim, cycle and run without discomfort on the bike

If it aint broke, dont fix it ...
  • You just want someone else to validate your need to buy more kit image
  • I do every bike ride in my pirate tri shorts...that way I'm happy they will be ok on the day.............
  • me too. I'm too slow to waste even a second on changing clothes in T1
  • I race in pirate shorts, I dont find the lack of padding any problem at all, in fact theyre more as comfy over long distance than padded shorts.

I think most of those that race in more padded shorts only do so as they havnt actually tried in minimal padded tri shorts.

The downside of padded shorts is they must take a while to dry out (assuming you dont change), I not fancy the discomfort of a soggy arse.
  • M...eldy wrote (see)
    I did the Vit last year in the same pair of shorts for the swim, cycle and run without discomfort on the bike

If it aint broke, dont fix it ...

good advice I think Melds (was just wondering if double the distance made it that much mroe uncomfortable).

Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
    You just want someone else to validate your need to buy more kit image

too true...too true.image

• If the distance is a factor I would be more worried about additional chafing from thicker shorts than additional numbness for thinner shorts.

Do people really change? What a faff. I would probably forget.