Bike service

I've had my bikes quite a while now and and done a fair amount of miles on both so am going to book them in for a service (have never had a bike serviced before). 

My question is, the mountain bike is pretty muddy, is it good manners to give it a clean it first or have they seen it all?!!

Comments

• You should be cleaning it yourself anyway - how can you see whats up with the bike if you cant see it for mud ?

You could send it in like that if you want them to charge you for cleaning it first - I'd not let a muddy bike into my workspace.

• It's not so bad I can't see the bits and bobs on it, I've only been using it for commuting. 

Guess I'd better give it a soap down then image

• I'd spend the money on a set of tools and learn how to service the bikes yourself.
  • M.ister W wrote (see)
    I'd spend the money on a set of tools and learn how to service the bikes yourself.

I wouldn't. My LBS have been brilliant over the years. A basic service is about £30 and they know far better than me what is worn or needs adjusting, where to get and how to fit parts. I trust them and they are worth the money. image

I do clean my bike well before taking it in.

• Not much really wears out on my bike to be honest - I do most of the stuff myself - and then if something goes wrong in a ride I know what to do.
  • I'll do a lot of my own servicing (am changing a BB on the missus road bike this weekend for instance) but there are times when handing it over to a decent mechanic just seems the right thing to do - usually multiple things that need looking at. and especially MTB's where there are faffy jobs like suspension service, hydraulic brake bleeding etc. - they take up more time than it's worth so I'd rather pay for them to be done.

as for dirt - yes, give it a good wash first - they will appreciate that.
  • Gyraffe wrote (see)
    M.ister W wrote (see)
    I'd spend the money on a set of tools and learn how to service the bikes yourself.

I wouldn't. My LBS have been brilliant over the years. A basic service is about £30 and they know far better than me what is worn or needs adjusting, where to get and how to fit parts. I trust them and they are worth the money. image

I do clean my bike well before taking it in.

+1 for the Waff Philosophy on Getting Your Fingernails dirty, isn't worth my time playing at mechanic and hunting online for all the compatible bits. Just had my commuter bike done yesterday for £50 + parts and it came back literally gleaming and running like a dream. If I'd attempted it yesterday I would be taking it's earthly remains to the LBS to be reincarnated today. I know my limitations image
  • I think it also depends what facilities you have - a garage or outdoor space is good - as is a bike stand. if I was in a flat or similar I wouldn't be servicing the bike in my kitchen!!

• I guess I enjoy doing stuff like that and take satisfaction from making my bikes run smoothly.  It also means I know how to fix most stuff on the bikes and can usually manage a repair on the road if necessary.

And the cellar is a great workshop.