Fri 4-7-03

2»

Comments

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that llama man. Bad backs are boring and I too resent enormously running being upset. Day 1 I pretend to be philosophical, day 2 I'm wallowing in melodramatic self pity wondering whether my trainers will ever get out from beneath the bed again, day 3 - well, the children know enough to avoid me.

Things looking up here. Walked to the bakery (half mile) ok this morning, and although I've been sitting at a bench all day (sharpening about 30 outside ground gouges), not stirring far, I've been able to walk when I wanted to without thinking about it.

Bodes well for Sunday (R4L).

Have fun MG. Look forward to hearing all the details.

Couldn't read page 3. this thing's awful slow these days.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

Pizza Man, I often race the traffic if I'm out during rush hour. Drivers must think I'm mad.

Ever tried tailgating trucks on a bike? That's fun, although pretty dangerous. Once cycled about 3 feet behind a truck carrying hay along Loch Lomond for about 15 miles at well over 30 mph. It was actually a pretty stupid thing to do!

Tonight's session:

What: 35 minute recovery
    Why: 'cause that's what my schedule says
    Last hard: Last night's 10.297643 mile MP run.
    Last rest: last saturday
  • Unlucky LM. Have a good recovery.

Did 10 mile cycle and then straight for a 3 mile run early this morning. Reason? Taking the plunge and doing first duathlon on Thursday, so wanted to see how wobbly my legs would be after cycling. Yep. Very wobbly!
  • What: 45 mins of intervals on the cross trainer

Why: still not allowed to run everyday

Last Hard: Weds

Last Rest: Mon
  • Just back from a bust a gut hill session and its dam hot out there

What :
    (AM) Swim : drills and interval’s
    (PM) Run : Hill set: warm up – 12 x up & overs starting every 2mins – cool down

HRs at top of climb:

REP 1 – 91% MHR
    REP 2 – 91% MHR
    REP 3 – 94% MHR
    REP 4 – 93% MHR
    REP 5 – 93% MHR
    REP 6 – 97% MHR
    REP 7 – 96% MHR
    REP 8 – 93% MHR
    REP 9 – 93% MHR
    REP 10 – 96% MHR
    REP 11 – 97% MHR
    REP 12 – 98% MHR

Nearly sick on last couple

• Pizza man, I race traffic as the last three quarters of a mile back to my house is along a flattish road with some dual carriage way and a set of lights. It's great to charge along and see the drivers looking perplexed (depending on how fast/slow I run)!

What: slowish 4 mile recovery run (to the doctors' to get a prescription ordered as they messed up the last one)

Why: to burn off the last hard run.

Last hard: Thursday 4x lap of the woods
    Last rest: Weds

I'm impressed with myself, back not hurting, feeling better after each session, and only shins hurting slightly due to overuse! My times for running wood laps were good for first time since injury also. Long may it continue!
  • Nothing for me

V stressful hospital visiting last 24hrs!! Not good

RFL on Sunday, so will continue resting now!!

• Hello

Good luck with bad backs Llama Man and Stickless.

I've got a bike computer too and did lots of recovery biking when I was marathon training just so I could measure my routes. Usually identical to the trundle wheel measurements which incidentally is only about a tenner and does not need batteries or digital connection (obviously fails the male gadget attraction test then) so surely Mrs S would let you have one Mike.

I never race the traffic which mainly consists of mad Astra drivers and farmers carrying sh*t.

What: nothing.
    Why: haven't had a proper rest day in 2 weeks and feel generally shattered.
    Last hard: yesterday.
    Last rest: 2 weeks ago.

Bye all.
  • Hi all

12 miles today in two segments 7 + 5, without a watch. Had a marvelous time and they felt quite quick as well
  • Hi all.

Again some gret stuff as usual, well done.

Looks good WildWill, know what you mean about nearly being sick on hard sessions.

For me a very hard session on the bike, turbo session time.

What: 44km =
    2km warm up 7:12mins
    40km hard 58:29 mins ( done split times of 10ks )
    1st 10k = 15:39
    2nd 10k = 14:05
    3rd 10k = 14:14
    4th 10k = 14:41
    2km cool down 5:20

HR avg 155 - 184 max bpm

Very hard session, nearly gave up on the first 10k, but blasted out some tunes to give more motivation.

Why: Wanted to know if I could brake the hour.

Last Hard: Deffo todat

Last Rest: Monday

Have a good fri evening
  • Drew, I was knocked off my bike 2 years ago by a Goose!

I was pelting it down the toepath early one morning in late spring early summer when a group of goslings with Mum and Dad ran across the path a few yard ahead of me. The drake flew straight into my face, knocking me off balance and into the canal between 2 barges. I fortunatley had a helmet on as I hit my head on one of the stakes used to moor the barges. Dazed and stunned I climbed back onto the toepath fell to the floor clutching my wrist and feeling ike I'd been been hit by Lenox lewis. I lay there for what seemed like forever groaning and writhing around in agony, like only a man can do.
    After a while someone came out of one of the barges and called an ambulance. Fortunatley I had only a sprained wrist and a slight concussion and was released that evening.
    Those that know still take the piss now. One of the blokes that works for me even 'phoned the local papper and the bastards must have been short of news and put it in.
    Oh, the fun that people had at my exspence for weeks.
  • Drew, just re-read your post and realised you'ed written trucks not ducks!
    Maybe the bang on the head was worse than I thought.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Pizza Man, must have been the Scottish accent! It is the sort of story that would make front page headlines in the Goose Gazette.

Riding home from school on my brand new Raleigh Corsa I was once knocked off my bike by an old man who stepped out in front of me reading the Glasgow Herald. He even had the audacity to blame me for his wreckless and thoughtless behaviour.
  • Thanks for the good wishes folks. Things went ok down the gym today which was encouraging. temptation is to rush back though and get really injured. Your problems don't sound too great, Stickless - a speedy recovery hoped for, probably more by you than me!

Laura, 2 weeks without a rest day! Bit excessive isn't it? Mind you if I was fit I'd probably be doing the same.
  • Hooray! Finally did this blasted marathon paced run. 8 miles @ 6:15.

The only drawback with the timex GPS is with heavy foliage. The best place to do is run is a flat canal path near my home. Unfortunately I get a weak GPS signal in places, and I managed to go from 6:14 ave to 6:09 in 20 yards, then drifted out to 6:20 over 100 yrd before knocking back to 6:12!

This is the first marathon I've ever included these for. How hard to people find them? Do you just go and do a speed session the day after (not if you're following a Horwill programme I suppose) but it feels challenging without being hard (to refer to DBSA's thread)?

Anyway our track team manager will be less than pleased as he advised us to have Friday off as we have a 5k club race for him on Sunday. Mind you, to him 4 miles is a long run!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Did my 2 runs today and had a few choice words with an ignorant dog owner on this evenings run.

Running along a lovely coastal path, quite a busy one, with lots of dog walkers. A little ankle snapping black dog comes running up to me yapping at my legs. I shout at the dog to get off and tell the dog owner to get her dog. It continues and the owner says "oh, he won't hurt you!" Yea, right! I tell her she should have it on a lead, her reply "why?"
    My reply, "if it's going to threaten people then it needs to be on a lead as consideration to others" She, laughs and I try to run on only for the dog to come at me again. I'm quite cross now and tell her to get her bloody dog! She eventually gets hold of it and I tell her it's not the dog fault it's hers!

Finished my run with no further bother, but it does put me off running these routes because so many inconsiderate dog owners have their dogs off leads and think it's ok for them to snap, jump, sniff you all over!

Rant over!!
  • Look back over some threads on dogs, hilly. Apparently threatening them with action under the Dangerous Dogs act really winds them up.

If their dog interferes with my session then it's a problem. It's the dog owner's mentality which spills over into letting one of those horrible bull terriers come up to my 4 year old daughter when she's feeding ducks at a local lake. Get the bloody animal restrained you idiots.

Like you say, the owner's fault, not the dog's.

Sympathy rant over.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    BR, I find it quite difficult to get the right pace for MP runs. Target pace is 6:18, however that would be on a flat road and after a 3 week taper!

As all my routes are quite hilly I tend to base them on heart rates but I'm not sure if I've got it right. The one I did last night at target HR was at 6:45 pace, which is the same pace I did this year's FLM.

Going to try doing one of these runs on the track with 93 sec laps.
  • i rested

but do you knoe barry white is dead
  • Hilly

If it's a small dog as you say - boot it! You can bet the ignorant owner won't teach it to behave better in future - but maybe the dog will remember the experience next time it comes across a runner.

Laura,
    The only prices I've seen for measuring wheels have been in 3 figures (new).

9.3K in 38 mins dead tonight.
    A very weary effort. When Matthew has a Friday match, I end up starting these runs around 20:45, nearly 8 hours after my last meal, and having been standing round for the previous 3 hours or so. There was nothing in my legs at all.
    One minor consolation - running the last mile along Hoylake prom, while the sun emerged from under the clouds to sink into Liverpool Bay.