Oakley shades

I'm looking to replace a battered old pair of shades, and I tried on a rather smart pair of Oakleys today.

At £105 they are a lot more than I would normally pay for a pair of running glasses, but my dear mum was with me, and offered to put a considerable sum towards the cost for my forthcoming birthday, if I liked them.

Any experiences, good or bad, that might be enlightening , and help me to decide whether to accept mum's offer to her favourite son?

Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• You get what you pay for...still using my Oakleys i bought seven years ago...so money well spent i reckon.
  • http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/442128/Gallery/Cycling._Cyclo-Cross._2008._www.flamingcreations.co.uk._4._Salendine_Nook.jpg

I've got 2 pairs of Mumbos that are probably 20 years old, and still worn today as they're still damned good glasses

One pair (yellow 'Heater' lens - the deeper ones) saved my eyes when I hit the back of a parked car & went through the glass, ending up on the back-seat

I bear scars on my face to this day, but I can still see them in the mirror

'Lesser' brands may not be  as strong??? - but in America, Oakleys are accepted (or were) for 'Machine Shop' use, as they were strong enough for using with lathes/angle-grinders etc.....

One advertising campaign even showed them, after being 'peppered' with the cartridge from a 12-guage. They had some indents, but none had penetrated (no idea on the range of the shot though??)

A bit like this( better with sound down!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GL9XNjcBI&feature=related

• Thanks for your responses gents.

I usually share that 'you get what you pay for' philosophy, FF, but it's good to have the recommendation of someone who has owned a pair.

That You Tube video was interesting too, Richard, thanks. Not as impressive as your personal testimony though. Sounds like a ridiculous understatment, but that must have been an awful experience. Were your eyes totally undamaged then ?

• /members/images/465633/Gallery/Oakleys.jpg

I've got a pair of these bad boys - Livestrong Radar Paths. I bought them from New Yor when I was over there 2 years ago. They are one of my best purchases todate, They never steam up and they look as good as new!

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Just to add to the good testimonies from others, the other benefit of Oakleys is the first-class customer service.  I have a pair of metal framed Oakley Whiskers that got bent out of shape & one of the lenses had popped out - sent off to Oakley and returned within a week - perfectly straight and the lense refitted.

Definitely worth it if you can justify the initial outlay.

• I had a pair for my 40th birthday so they will be 9 years old this summer.  When an arm broke my optician sent them back for me and they were sorted out for about £14.
  • I have a pair of Carbon Fibre custom Oakley half jackets... can not speak highly enough about them
  • I have some flak jackets, they give me headache.
    Bought them from a place called Inteligent Armour, they supply the military and police apparently. Anyway they were quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else.
  • XL-man wrote (see)

Richard, thanks. Not as impressive as your personal testimony though. Sounds like a ridiculous understatment, but that must have been an awful experience.

Were your eyes totally undamaged then ?

Yes they were.

Obviously once I'd limped home, as the bike was unrideable, I went to the local A&E department (Hospital where I now work, & wife did at the time), they checked out okay.

I was dribbling snot & blood out of the side of my nose for a couple of weeks afterwards till scar-tissue formedimage

it was partly my fault though... I was riding home from work one night (circa 23;20), along a stretch of national speed-limit road (A61 'Leeds-Wakefield Road', between Wood Lane & Sharp Lane, for any one reading this in the Leeds/Wakefield area)

I was heading from Leeds towards Wakefield

It's a undulating road (mining subsidence?), & I was dazzled by opposing traffic.

All of a sudden there was an unlit car in front of me, I tried to brake, but too late.

I hit the back, momentum carried me through the screen, & ended up hanging half into the backseat.

The next day when the Police came to speak to me, as I'd phoned them to report it (personal injury in RTA's are followed up), it turned out that the car was of an 'Unregistered Keeper'

It would appear that someone had bought it (a wreck of an old Metro) not V5'd it,

Then, when it packed in left it where it broke down (1997, before the days of ANPR)

The Mumbos that I wore that day are the pair shown in the 'Cyclo-Cross'picture in my initial (Flaming Photography) image, & I stll wear them for the days that I ride to work

Damned fine glasses

Plus....

On the 'business' front, they sponsored Lance Armstrong, before his Cancer diagnosis

When he told them he had Cancer, they could have renegotiated, or indeed 'pulled the plug', but.... they stuck with him & even contributed towards his medical bills (when it was realised that due to negatiations with cycling teams left him insurance free)

So, their integrity is another reason for choosing Oakleys for me (that's whether you love, or loathe Armstrong)

The aftermath (old prints that were scanned at some point)

1. The frame in the cellar of our old house (it still hangs in the garage, as a reminder not to do it again!!!)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/442128/Gallery/Cycling._1990s._Accident._March_1997._The_Aftermath._1.jpg

2. I've got a bit less hair now, but as stated, still have my eyesight!!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/442128/Gallery/Cycling._1990s._Accident.The_Aftermath_2._(March_1997).jpg

• Blimey!  A lucky escape for you there, Richard.

Sincere thanks once again folks for all your responses. I reckon that's my birthday present from Mum sorted out then. image

• Definitely worth getting a pair if you look after things. I bought my wife a very nice pair and she lost hers within a week.

I've got 4 pairs - if you look after them = they'll last a hell of a long time. Great value for money.

• I have a pair of Oakley Eye Jackets still going strong from 1998.  I am going to treat myself to a new pair of straight jackets this summer.

My wife has a pair of half jackets she uses for running, and loves them.  

I got hers from james and james sunglasses, and they were cheaper than retail stores.

• Devoted2Distance wrote (see)
    I love how RA Thackeray puts a pic of himself in almost every post he makes image

Egotistical little sod isn't heimage

Seriously though, in this instance; the 'cyclo-cross' pic was to try & illustrate the Mumbos I was enthusing about, the other 2 were in response to 'XL-Mans' questions

I love how RA Thackeray puts a pic of himself in almost every post he makes image
        You're only upset because you've missed a trick image
  • Ooooo...nice one Lirishimage

Would you mind please clarifying for mewhether you're sticking your tongue out at me, or drooling longingly over meimage

(even if only in a sarcastic manner)

• I have a pair of Oakley Jawbones that I use on the bike, got them just before Christmas, not run in them yet but intend to.
    They are the best glasses I've ever worn when biking.

Mind you I've also had a pair of Nike sunglasses for the past 6 years and they've been brilliant as well.

• Just got some of those for my dad, but he's not used them yet as he's away working for a while.

I like the way that the lenses have the air holes to prevent misting.

Edit: Did you get the Livestrong ones to go with your kit ??
  • BB ✭✭✭

cheap oakleys

OH swears by Oakleys. I have never bought from this place, but I kept the link for future use cos someone on here recommended them a while ago...so might be worth a look, there seem to be some good discounts

• Nope - not a philistine - more of a spammer. You've plugged that site on all your last 5 posts ?

Oakleys rule. Simples.

<inserts gratuitous pic of me in oakleys but decides not to so as not to scare people>

Of course the latter, Richard!image

Ahh, the sarcastic drooling, I understand totallyimage
  • Oh well, if you insist.............
  • I love Oakley sunglasses - best care tip is to not leave them at an ATM beside the keypad, as they'll not be there when you go back a minute later...
  • Hi, folks

Sincere thanks for all the advice and comments,

I have just ordered a pair of straight jackets on the interworld webnet

Looking forward to trying them out, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

XL-man

• I had my first pair of Oakley Fives in 1998, and replaced them last year when I couldn't see through the lenses due to scratches etc. They did a cracking 12 year service, and stood up to everything that was thrown at them. I'm pretty sure I had the frame replaced FOC at one point too, but it was a long time ago.

I now have a newer pair (Fives 3.0), with the same black iridium lenses. A tad too dark for cycling (11% light transmission), but perfect for running and flying.

Money well spent. Less than 4p per day so far, and they get worn almost daily.