Wind

Okay so I did a ride today in a Met Office "Severe Weather Warning"...

Managed 27 miles at roughly 12.5mph average. I conducted a bit of geekery though and pulled up the wind data for the nearest available weather station during my ride. Turns out the wind didn't drop below 30km/h and was recorded gusting at up to 63.5km/h.

This may well sound like boasting but it wasn't a very good ride and I was farked after... has anyone any experience of accounting for the impact of wind? Is there a way of normalising this - the average speed for my effort today is just a bit disheartening image

Also, post your fun wind stories please.

Comments

• Can't offer anything technical : basically if it's windy on the bike it's bloody hard work and slightly less enjoyable, especially if accompanied by horizontal rain ( the type that tends to follow me around ) I know that on occassion I've not got above 7mph on the flat on the coastal road here ( and no that wan't in perfect conditions before some smart arse pipes up about my crap cycling! )
  • Before I went to bed last night I tried estimation of surface area and drag coefficient to see if I could generate a table of relative energy expenditure, but I don't know how relevant this is given the massive assumptions I made. So I'm still in the dark.

All I know is my legs are knackered.

PS. Holgs I just finished your book last week... great read and probably part of the reason I was out on the bike in the first place (combined with beating Viking in the points game for the month). You b*stards! image
  • SlowEngineer wrote (see)
    Before I went to bed last night I tried estimation of surface area and drag coefficient to see if I could generate a table of relative energy expenditure, but I don't know how relevant this is given the massive assumptions I made. So I'm still in the dark.

What does all that mean?

• I think what you meant to say was "if the wind is behind me i go fast, if the wind is in front of me I go slower".....................image
  • Ahh now I understand - thanks FF, that's engineers for you - my dad was one image

Slow - just remember it's all Vikings fault, even the wind.

• Exactly FF. But if you are skinny and aero with penis helmets and things then you go faster. Apparently.

Drag is a funny thing. Especially the eyeliner.