Thames Path 100

Comments

• Heavy snow!!! I doubt it, heavy rain and sleet maybe but this is winter in the UK. A friend of mine suffered hypothermia in May 07 doing the GUCR, these sort of conditions should be expected our weather is extremely changeable. Both runners and organisers should be prepared for that.

Must admit I would be seriously peed off if I had been told with 7 miles to go that the race is off. Would have just kept going, it's a public right of way.

Will people get refunds proportional to where they were on the course when it was cancelled?

• That makes perfect sense! I was just a bit supprised when someone said "rain".

Much better to be safe than sorry- good call!
  • It started drizzling at about 5am, this developed into light rain, then heavy rain, sleet and finally snow.

The last 15miles were muddy and slippy, I was glad I had trail shoes on - I finished after being reduced to a walk/walk stratgey for the last 2miles in 23:29 - I got a buckle image

I feel sorry for anyone that had been left out there and for the abondonment of the race, but I think it was the right decision

• Well done to everyone.

I unfortunately had my first ever DNF, things were going really well, 9.20 for 50 and although i was heamoragging time overnight was still on for sub 24. All up untll it started raining this morning, my legs gave up and i started to walk the 8.5 miles to Abingdon. Unfortunately it was very slow and by the time i reached Abingdon i was showing signs of hyperthermia.

Having persuaded the medics not to call an ambulance, they did a great job getting my vitals back to normal and i really wanted to walk that last 9 miles, the sub 24 had gone but just to finish was the goal, well its a good job i didnt as i probably would have been pulled, my legs would just not work and i was very unsteady and whilst i was devastated i think it was the right decision for me, my crew and the organisers that i didnt carry on.

Great organisation, however the Thames Pathway must be one of the worse sign posted trails in the country i saw and was involved in so much head scratching by competitors. I would love to know what the total extra mileage was run by competitors over and above the 100. A valiant attempt though to try and mark it, must be a nightmare over that distance..

Even worse i dont get a medal or any momento of the race.image

• Mark

I pulled at 38 with a groin strain. Until then I was at a similar pace to you

Tuff luck there but safety first

Best come back next year to tick it off 

• I dont think so mate, that was my one and only attempt, 50, maybe but no more 100,s.

• I'm sure the RD had his reasons for stopping the race but I agree with that Andrew sniffy chap. It's an ultra you should be prepared for all occasions.
    I remembering running the Thames towpath 50 when the river was completely flooded tppl were saying Rory should have abandoned the race with some detours being 2 mile away from the river. But TBH it was one of the best days running I have had.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Hi all. I was one a group of four who were trotting into the 95m checkpoint with 3.5hr spare to the 30hr cut off when I was told my race was over. One German fella continued without his number as wouldn't take the advice from James. Was my first hundred, I'd paced perfectly for a 27.5hr finish but totally understand the reasons. My friend was in a bad way despite being wrapped up suitably. I
    I didn't encounter one runner who thought otherwise. It was below freezing, we had got wet for several hours and the path from Abingdon was absolutely dreadful. How I didn't end up in the water several times I don't know.
    Andrew, I wouldn't expect any form of refund for my missed 5m of running and I'd feel bloody embarassed even enquiring. James put on an awesome event but when people are falling in the water and others are being taken to hospital by ambulance with hypothermia what would any other responsible race organiser do?
  • UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    Zulu...I did the TPU that year and loved every minute of it too. Conditions were not easy but I don't do ultra because they're easy...during winter you expect the weather to be carp and navigation should be something you can deal with....it was essential on the TPU in 2008 unless you wanted to swim!
  • I managed to get in around 12.20ish.....................I can honestly say I was truely concerned for my saftey and obviously the runners behind me. I think I'm generally a robust character but I had serious issues with hypothermia. I was wwearing two pairs of shorts with compression socks on with tights over my legs. On top I had teo tech T shirts and a waterproof running jacket.

The rain for the last hour of my run was the same as jumping in the Thames. The wind in exposed sections was brutal and pointing out the obvious it decided to snow.............It was that cold, I was soaked to the bone even with appropriate clothing on and ran/ walked with my arms crossed over trying my hardest to keep warm when I was chilled/soaked to the bone.

I have said this on another forum but it does need repeating............a massive thanks to James and all those who took the time to create a fantastic race. It was included in the preamblefrom the start that it may snow, but bloody hell those condtions at the end were right out of a horror movie!!

• for those comparing today to the flooded TPU race, there is absolutely no sensible comparison between a flooded 50 miler in daylight and the conditions today at the back end of a 100 miler during the dark
  • Just to say thanks to the organisers - got round in 23.11 slightly hypothermic and was lucky my crew had poles or I'd have certainly slipped many times in the mud.  If i'd have been out another hour in the rain I'd have been in real trouble - well done to those who braved the rain - finisher or not.

Thought course was marked brilliantly - had run the thames trot which is the last 50 backwards as a recce but had very few occasions where I wasn't sure and there was always a marker a few metres into a turning to confirm the turn.  Great race but think i'll stick to 50s from now on once is enough!

• Don't know what happened to some of you but I finished 26hrs 37min as did Ben Davies who I ran with for 22hrs ish. No sign of the race getting stopped. Mind you last 4 hours were some of the most cold and miserable conditions I have run in.

• I got round just under 24 hours and ahead of the worse weather
    so i am happy.
    But it was the hardest thing i've ever done.
    All my future Ultras will be in the summer and not more than 50 miles
    but i now know for a fact that if you can do 50
    miles then you can take on 100 and in my case,
    still succeed
    Many thanks to James and team for all there hard work.
    The marshals were fantastic and i love you all very very
    very much.
    I'm battered and bruised a little bit confused
    but i conquered 100 without blowing
    a fuse or losing my
    enthusiasm for Father Thames.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Well done on some excellent times, some really impressive performances!
  • Well done those who finished, sounds horrendous at the end and I guess although I am sorry I couldn't do it I am glad I didn't put my other half through the worry and then end up being pulled out.

I know I would have struggled in the cold whatever gear I had.

Hope all that did it are ok.
  • Sorry what I meant was well done all that attempted it!!!!

• purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

Oh my goodness.I reckon I only just got in before the they stopped it then. My time was 26 hrs 45. Dill, I reckon you must have been one of two guys who crazily sprinted past me at thw last river bit - just before the final bridge, looking at your time!

At mile 91, I was in a terrible state from the cold, I just couldn't warm up. I though I was in real trouble for a moment. I manage to sort myself out with a little help, but I was in a similar state again after the race..as were several others. The snow, hail and rain battering against us at a time when we were already totally spent, and running through dreadful mud and deep puddles, was enought to finish us off.

Well done to you all - whatever stage you got to. Some sterling efforts going in. Nic eto meet Rowan (Louis maxy) and Vickey too. Mr F - rotton luck. You know, I reckon I must have spoken to you on the course because i think you were fairly close to my times.

Veggie - were you talking to an oldish passer by, saying you'd have to give it another crack next year? Around the point you say you came a cropper, I ran past a man having that conversation!

Thank-you to James and all the kind volunteers. I am one happy lady tonight - I ran 100 miles and I can't believe it!

• huge congrats pp

that may well have been me you came past

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    veggieboy - I was running the checkpoint at Cookham. Where you in the pink gear? One of the other guys took a liking to your salomon skinet and was trying it on?
  • All very interesting reading.

Well done to all!
  • Wetter is Better

Yep that was me, reckon I could have sold it there and then - would have paid for the wine and curry I had to buy my wife for coming to collect me

Great effort on the aid station - did you help out on one of the later wet ones as well - that must have been tough work

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I finished in 21:54, just as the rain started to get heavy...then it got heavier. People were most likely underprepared for the conditions. I had packed a winter coat at 71 miles, but the sky was still clear - so chanced it. I also had windproof trousers.The weather forecast should always be taken into consideration for events like this, and i packed my drop bags on Friday night.

It doesnt surprise me that people got hypothermic, as I too got very close to that on GUCR in 2008. Once you are wet, unless you can put on dry clothes you just get colder and colder.

I have run the stretch from Abingdon to Oxford before, and i know how slippery it is...its not muddy per se, just greasy mud. Horrible when wet.

It is a shame that James felt he had to stop it, but it is his neck on the line, and I for one thought the organisation was superb. His company - his rules.

Very pleased with my sub-24, didnt get the 100k in 10:30 I was after, but i kept trucking on through the night, and passed quite a few people, and delighted with my time.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Yep, think that was an easy sale if you wanted it! 

Yep I waited at Cookham for 2 guys who were behind the cut off, one got picked up and the nI drove the other to Little Wittenham to get him on a minibus and then stayed there until about 10:15 this morning. Was real cold over night and was getting pretty wet but that wasn't really a problem I didnt think. Obviously it deteriorated later in the course to cause James' decision, and as I said I couldn't believe the poor prep of some people.

Best of luck for your next effort mate.

• Thanks WiB

I have an easy summer - beer and olympics

Then having a crack at Caesars and Winter 100

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Might see you at Caesars then... I am in for the 50 there.
  • Reading the last few posts have filled in some gaps for me as to who some of the names on the forum actually are. WiB I was at Cookham with you, trying to keep the canopy from blowing away and making soup furiously image
    Veggie I chatted to you about pressing on for a bit but you were sure your groin was gone and your day was done. That was just before Tim dragged you off to try on your pack image
    I also did registration and said hi to Vicky Luffrum but without knowing anyone else's actual names it was tough to know who was who.
    Needless to say Dill never did bring that pint image
  • I think that the race director made the right decision. 

In all, 30 people were withdrawn from the race, a couple needed hospital treatment, and many more ended up wrapped up in silver blankets at the finish line.   I was wearing three base layers and a windproof jacket, and I ended up in a fairly bad way.  I thought I knew it all about running clothing, but I learned plenty during this race. I will never again go into a 100 mile event, outside of summer, without a goretex jacket in my pack.

Anyhow..........

Dill and I ran most of the race together and came in at 26.37. 

The event seems to have been a lot harder than many people expected.  A lot of people took the race thinking that it was one of the easier 100s out there, or a good one for setting a fast time.  In practice, it had a number of difficult features, and the weather was only one of them.  The organisation was up to a high standard, and the race boasted some highly picturesque river views, and wildlife viewing opportunities. 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Awesome... Hello mate!
  • Let me take this opportunity to thank the marshals and aid station staff, especially since some of them post here.