Inspire "Elders"

Comments

•  it was about 10 minutes slower than i normally run that distance
  • "PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME 'NO MARATHONS AND DEFINATELY NO IRONMANS!!"

Running Postie - a gentle little reminder that you're up for the Outlaw relay!  whether you're swimming 3.8km, cycling 180km or running 42.2km, that's the start of the downward slide ya know. It's a slippery slope!

• Hi all,

Q - I had a rubbish run today too, did 8 miles and was properly shattered after, I thought tapering was supposed to make it easier!

Cabbey - well done on your 11.3 miles, looking forward to seeing you next weekend.

Mad - well done on your 13 miles, I'm sure you'll be fine for cardiff.

• Hi - haven't been posting on here but deffo qualify as an "elder", I'm 62 and hubby is 63. Have run 45 marathons so far and competed in 8 Ironman events.Today I did a 10km in the woods with my dog Nemo, then OH and I went for a swim in the local lake - bit cold getting in but all right after that. Luckily this lake is not fenced and is open all year (swim at your own risk) so until the snow and ice get here we should be able to carry on. Going over tomorrow for another swim - no good swimming in heated pools as we're training for a Channel relay swim next July.
  • Hi UI... Sounds like you qualify to post here image Brrrr to the swimmimg

Sebby, looking forward to seeing everyone at Amsters too! I looked at the course map for the first time today and was bored just looking at it image I do hate looping round and seeing people way faster than you miles ahead!!!
  • Bored is probably the wrong word.... gutted more like image

However, I'm bored now.... can't be bothered with work at all!

•  morning all

hi UI rather you than me re the swimming

well done on your run sebby, my problem is i,ve got no races to aim for in the near future

• Neither have I in the near future - so I'm contenting myself with writing up my training plan for Ironman Wales next September! Plan should begin on 2nd April.

Swimming in cold water is more a mental problem than a physical one - once actually in and moving it's not half as bad as getting in.

• I used to surf UI (In the North sea... all seasons). I found the worst part was taking the wetsuit off in the outside toilets afterwards!
  • Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)

"PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME 'NO MARATHONS AND DEFINATELY NO IRONMANS!!"

Running Postie - a gentle little reminder that you're up for the Outlaw relay!  whether you're swimming 3.8km, cycling 180km or running 42.2km, that's the start of the downward slide ya know. It's a slippery slope!

The slippery slope stops at 180km bike ride,image I really don't fancy running round that lake again, this years outlaw run leg, put me off maras for a very long time. To redeem myself, I plan to do the Vit next yearimage

And welcome to the thread

• Hang on RP, is this the run leg you've persuaded me to do??  You won't talk me into an Ironman by putting me off marathons you know!  I have a cunning plan for marathons next year actually - doing White Peak in May which is hilly then I basically get a couple of weeks rest, a couple of long runs and then a taper for Outlaw.  This in itself may put me off marathons!

Life continues to be hectic for me on the home front, more of which later....

Have just done a very quick read back and spotted various injuries and other maladies so please all have some nice healing ((())).  Cabbey - I have sponsored you via text (clever isn't it) I tried to add a message but not sure it worked so if there's an unclaimed and inexplicable £10 that's me.  Also, I don't think I ever said well done for your 30 miles.  Seriously, that distance is just amazing!

I have bad news about this weekend now sadly.  My great uncle died last week - he was very old and frail and had been ill for some time so it wasn't a suprise but his funeral is going to be this Sunday.  He was the last of my grandad's siblings and although she hasn't said as much I know my mum really wants me to be there.  So I've decided I will have to pull out of Amsterdam.  I think I can claim my travel costs back on my (ludicrously expensive) insurance policy so I won't be too out of pocket.  I am gutted not to be there - not so much for the race for which I was massively under-prepared but to finally meet you all.  Hopefully we can rectify this last part sometime soon, maybe at a race in the UK.  Obviously the very best of luck to everyone running - I will be thinking of you all and look forward to reading the race reports!

• Becx have some of these((((()))))) Im sorry your not going to be there, but understand, family comes first.

as for ironmans, I wont talk you into any but there are, o so many pirates that couldimage

• So sorry Bec image
    (thanks for the donation, really appreciated) xx
  • BecX ((())) - really sorry to hear your news.

I seems to have caught a cold...hope it will be gone before Sunday!

• I get to swim outdoors all year round and the water is warmer than an indoor pool! image Speaking of which, another mile planned for this evening image

Did 5 miles last night, and was so poor I can't really believe I PB'd a HM just a few weeks ago image Really must get back into it, but was so lethargic and my legs so heavy yesterday. Still, it was nice and quiet on the road as it was tipping it down! image

Are there any get together events planned for the Spring apart from VLM? Anything I can plan for, without anyone even daring to suggest a Marathon!

((BecX)) - Sorry you can't make it to Amsterdam. I know what it feels like to be missing out on something you really wanted to do. I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

And welcome UI!! image
  • Morning Farby.
    Yeah it's quick to lose fitness isn't it... On the plus side it's quick to get it back too.

I've done 40 minutes run at 5am this morning.... Only one more run to do! I've definitely reassessed though and think it should take about 4:50 to complete Amsters on the run/walk (all being well).
  • morning all

sorry to hear of your news bec

• morning all and so very sorry for your loss BecX - we shall miss you on the weekend image.

Farby - do you fancy Barcelona HM at the end of February? or you could always do Stamford image.  Which bit of spring are you talking?

Hello UI - nice to "meet" you

*passes the echinacea to mad* hope it's just one of those 24 hour bug things, mad.

Hope everyone else is ok.

• Hi Min,

Probably the 3 weeks before the 26th Mar I think, so not Barcelona (unfortunately!) Hmmmm, Stamford... NO!! image

You don't happen to know where Odie got that swimming lap counter for her daughter do you? I've been trying to find one on line and not much joy... the only one I found that kind of does what I'm after is electronic and £40! For now I'll stick with counting beans into a tub...

Off to swim in the rain image
  • Evening all

Farby - well done on your run...enjoy your swim!

Min - thnkas for the echanacia...will be needing it!

Cabby - well done on yoru run!

• Hi all,

(((Bec))) sorry to here about your great uncle and sorry we won't get to meet in Amsterdam as well.  If you can't get money back on your insurance let me know & I will send you back the money for the room.

cabbey - running at 5am, wow that's impressive!

I'm no good at outdoor swimming, it takes me forever to get in the water.

Have to go & wash my hair dye off or goodness knows what colour it will go!

• If you'd seen me running at 5am you really WOULDN'T have been impressed Sebby

Morning all.... I'm sweating out a cold image
  •  morning all

hope the cold goes away cabbey

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Sorry to say I'm still on the sick bench. I am itching to get out for a run but scared $h1tless I will damage my shoulder some more in the process. So although I am getting fed up with all this enforced sitting around, I'm just having to stay home and wait patiently for it to recover. The only bright spot - I have had my sauna on several times lately in the evenings as the heat has been helping me relax and relieve some of the pain. The osteopath gave me a good pummelling on Monday (like a sports massage I guess, but back and shoulders only). Seems like over-use of my right arm when my left shoulder was bad has probably caused a rotator cuff problem (rotator cuff = 4 small muscles that hold shoulder in place). The other shoulder muscles had to work overtime to compensate hence the seized up shoulder. Me being too tense/inflexible in my neck, shoulders and back due to my desk job just made things worse. I have most of the movement back now but the shoulder is still sore, especially first thing. I'm back in the office though driving can be a bit uncomfortable at times.

Cabbey - glad the new trainers have worked out okay. I could mange 11K on a treadie .. but never 11 miles! Sorry to hear you have a cold as well - sounds like you need a sauna to help sweat it out.

Q - you may not have enjoyed Sun's run but you did those 10 miles instead of jacking it in part way round.

UI - welcome along *waves* .. Brrrr to the outside swimming this time of year. I don't have a wetsuit so I stick to sea-swimming in the summer when the sun is out. You mentioned Ironman Wales - we were on holiday in Tenby the day before this year's event and saw lots of whippet-like 'aff-leets' around the town.

Bec - some ((())) being sent your way re losing your great-uncle.

MWW - hope that cold goes soon.

Farby - swimming outside in warm water .. you can go off people you know! image LOL

waves* to anyone I've missed

• Thanks for the welcome everyone! Been on the forum since the early days, just new to this thread.

Outdoor swimming is so much nicer than pool swimming - I sneeze for hours after our Tuesday night swim training sessions.Off out now for a nice run in the forest with our 2 dogs.

• 10 miles in the pouring rain, I just love my job in this weather!!!

Sebby nice to hear from you.

Farby I am going to attempt Stamford again(oyur welcome to join me), tis a cunning plan I have hatched, although Lou (fetchie) doesn't know it yet (well she asked me to help her train for VLM)imageimage 

• I'm tempted to do Stamford. I think I'd like it image
  • Hi RP - are you looking forward to the weekend?

Mel - hope you shoulder gets better soon.

cabbey - sending healing vibes for your cold.

cabbey & Min - I haven't got your mobile numbers anymore as my phone got stolen in June.  My number is still the same so can you text me your numbers please so I can find you at teh weekend!

• No probs Sebby, will do.
    I'm really looking forward to the get together image ...not so much looking forward to the run image