When to use recovery products

Just a quick question. is it necessary to have a recovery drink like a lucozade or a recovery shake after every run no matter what the distance, i've been having them on my longer runs but on shorter runs of only a couple of miles i didn't know if i should be doing the same thing

All replies appreciated

Anna xxx

Comments

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

You don't need them at all, but if you want and you are happy spending the money or don't have the wherewithal to make something yourself, then why not.

A milkshake will do fine esp on short runs or a glass of water.

Chicken sandwhich, scrambled egg on toast, peanut butter on toast - all good post work out food.

I like PLJ myself though will have a chocolate milkshake after a long run.

Oh and bananas. image

• You definitely don't need anything after a run of two miles - just eat normally.
  • Agree with Kryten, you don't need anything after a short run.  I have a ForGoodnessShake after a long run, not because I've got money to burn but because they work for me, so if it aint broke don't fix it, and I can't stomach solid food for a couple of hours after a long run.
  • Long run: chocolate milk in some form

Long run on a hot day: pint of cider image

• No no no Crashie - STRAWBERRY milkshake is what you need.

Tuh !
  • Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Up to 9 or 10 miles - pint or two of squash and then food (eg tea if it's a week night run)

Beyond that I'll have a bottle of Yazoo choc or banana milkshake.  I buy them by the case from Costco.  I find it helps prevent the"I'm starving and must everything in the house" moments.

• This is turning into a vitage episode of BOD, isn't it? image

About 4 min in...

• I use the SIS Rego recovery drink but only after runs of 15 miles plus. I cant stomach solid food for a while after a long run so this bridges the gap nicely.

Someone told me you can make your own recovery drink with dilute orange juice and a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda then top up to make a litre. havent tried it yet so dont know if its right or not, anyone else heard of this?

• Nah...sounds interesting tho.

Nice one Hamster re: Bod...mmmmmmmmmm...Loganberry image

Me? Chocolate Fudge Brownie Fuji after a session...Cereal with milk good after a long run!

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Back in the day when I used to have time to do long runs, I used Slimfast shakes as a post-long training run or marathon/half marathon recovery drink.  Tasted much better than any of the recovery drinks I'd tried, and popped in a cool-bag with some ice-packs, were very handy (and the ice-packs came in handy occasionally too!).

Never bothered with anything particular for anything shorter than 10 miles - just some squash and a sandwich.

Banana ones were my flavour of choice.

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

I always thought Alberto Frog was a conman.

• For Goodness Shakes for me on long runs too!  It works for me so I'm going to stick to it.

Short runs I just have a bottle of lucozade but that's more out of habit more than necessity.

Lovin' the Bod clip! image

• What about using recovery products for interval training and reps? Because you obviously do not run very far but still go through an intensive workout.
  • As mentioned above, if you feel they benefit you and you are prepared to pay for it, then by all means use them. I do if I feel I warrant it, but not after every run. I always have a shake after a gym session though.

• I use em afer a long run and a tough interval session. Quick and easy way of putting some carbs back in fast.

Have a look at the sugars in a Goodness Shake though....then have a look at the sugar in a can of coke... then go buy some Rego!

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    For an 8+ mile run I'll have a banana and a teaspoon of health salts before I go, a For Goodness Shake, peanut butter sandwich and smoothie as soon as I get back. Seems to work for me and reduces any ill-effects like stomach pains or feeling very cold.

For gym and shorter runs apart from plenty of water I don't really need much else. A packet of dry roasted peanuts is always welcome though.
  • image health salts?

Haven't heard of that one before, like this stuff?

A mild laxative before a run doesn't sound a great idea. What am i missing? image

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    That kind of thing chimpster. It's not for everyone. It helps me reduce stomach irritation as my digestion slows, and it's a useful salt intake. Could be rubbish but it's a habit I've got into.

I should make it clear I don't poo everywhere as I run along, like some kind of dirty red arrow.
  • Would that be the same Rego which is full of artificial sweeteners? Don't quote me on that, but I'm sure SIS products do. Torq has the least amount of rubbish in their products imo
  • Nothing like a good ole pint of milk    image