Options

ironman lanza 2012

Comments

• Options
    That's a hell of a list image
  • Options
    Artful Hen wrote (see)

think i'm going to have to have a year off from IM in 2013 so I can do a few running things, like Two Oceans or Comrades. And New York mara.

Hmmmmm, Comrades 2013......

• Options
    Ironholgs wrote (see)
    I'd love to do it but my legs don't permit me to sign up!!!
    Ironholgs wrote (see)

My first Ironman of 2012 will be Lanza....

imageimage

You sound very female Holg, all that changing your mind nonsense!image
  • Options
    Basically....reading between the lines Mrs Holgs relented between posts image
  • Options
    Gladys (still grumbling!) wrote (see)

Hmmmmm, Comrades 2013......

Start working on the pass for this,  you know you want toimage
  • Options
    I see you are wimping on Outlaw 2012 though Jaffa?!
  • Options
    Advance reconassence for 2013....... ie the weather report.

T-21 weeks....... just done xmas, and next stop, lanza!!!

accomodtion is booked. we decided to book a week in laSanta as the missus fancied a bit of swimming, biking and running while i am busy......
    they also do a deal with 2 nights stay somewhere in pdCarmen pre/post race night.

flights booked. there is no such thing as a low cost airline any more.

so training. .....

running is going well. done some 2 1/2 hr runs - thats good. body is a little creaky in places, with some old issues resurfacing.

biking is ok - its been a mild december so ive been fine going out on long rides {so far} Missed a few rides along the way but the new year has brought new focus and working out I have done 1/3 of the 30 weeks training has made me go OMG - get out there!!!. done some big bikes already (6 hrs) so now the am is to make those feel normal.

swimming - its not going well. just 1 swim in december. I hate swimming when its cold out. must htfu.

other - yoga. gym, core, bike cadence turbos.... fills my lunchtimes......

i have no life.

cant wait for spring with the lighter mornings/evenings.
  • Options

Sounds like it's going well OC.

Flights and accomodation booked for me as well.

Family illness has scuppered training somewhat over the last month - just short stuff ( 1 hour ) and turbo as needed at home.

Hoping to break myself back in on saturday with 3-4 hours on the bike.

And I'm with you, can't wait for a bit of light and warmth.

• Options
    T- 20 weeks
    The weather in the first week of January is positively balmy
    This winter training lark is a piece of piss. Enter Lanza 2013 now as winter training is easy - I am too hot on every ride.

2 big rides last week (new years bank holiday helped a lot)
    Running is ticking over, but gulp, another week goes by with no swimming

Weather is apparently about to get wintery - blimey any one would think it's January!

• Options

T-19 weeks

Well last week  kicked off well, 3 swims, (more than the whole of December image), and a long run.

however, weather turned cold heading into last weekend, and the planned big weekend ride truned into a 2 hour wimper as the Duvet won the battle.image  Temperature was about 0 degrees, and warmed up to about 4 by the time I made it out at 12 mid day.......

must HTFUimage

• Options
    Good luck with the training Lanza lads - just seen the bike course profile......going downhill should be fun!  
  • Options
    T-18 weeks, and winter still has not reallyput in an appearance

Really good week. image
    Big ride, ( still got cold feet, but the autumn gloves came out....) for 5.5 hrs.. felt about10 degrees today
    Big run 2 hrs
    Big swim ( for me) 2.8k
    Things are starting to come together........
  • Options

Nice training OC.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the downhill bits bedders.

• Options

T - 17 weeks, and the me me me thread continues   image

Big week last week, 6 hr (easy) bike, 2.15 run, and a 3. something swim.

However, it was a little chilly on the ride, so you people reading this for lanza training next year take note

6 hr bike in  3-6 degrees needs:-

• winter boots + neoprene over shoes, wool socks underneath
    • super dooper soft shell endura jacket, buy them in the coming end of winter sales.... o and a winter bike top underneath
    • good set of as warm as you can get winter gloves
    • set of wind stopper leggings, oh and a pair of rabioux tights over the top...... image
    • windstopper under helmet hat thing...

You get the idea....   it was not freezing but the cold builds up........

And this week....... WINTER HAS ARRIVED!!!!!

Running at 8 this morning in central london needed hat, and gloves, top and a jacket on top......
    My hands were freezing, and it was even worse on the way home.....

• Options
    oc with all that kit on do you get cold to begin with but then heat up or do you just get cold and stay that way? think i got 4 or 5 weeks till im up to that length and hoping the weathers going to get better. first year newbie - what do you expect image

i can tell you that running at 7am with the wind coming off the north sea needs more than a vest, a ron hill pacamac thingy, summer gloves and buff isnt enough image
  • Options
    (Strays into weirdo thread) for DK

Bike down to zero degrees. Base layer, thicker long sleeve jersey, pirate jacket (yes they really are that good), summer buff, fleece headband, sealskinz gloves, sealskinz socks, shoes plus Endura neoprene overshoes. DHB full bibtights. Boil up the engine and maintain at working pace. Well, that's two to three hours worth.

Run to zero degrees. Cheap Ronhill tights, Mizuno breath thermo top (which is the utter bollox and keeps you at 22 degrees whatever the weather, provided you keep moving), standard socks, fleece headband, Altura windproof cycling gloves and a £6.99 Aldi Crane Jacket.

• Options
    alternatively ... turbo next to a radiator and acclimatise  image
  • Options
    T-16 weeks
    Winter arrived (remember I am writing this for fellow idiots doing this next year)
    I know you lot reading this now all about it.....

No swimming. I hate swimming when it's cold outside. My motivation to get there plummets. Could be coz I need to walk/ run/ bike there image

No long bike.... It snowed 4 inches on Saturday night imageimage

Did a long run but the knes is creaking a little

T-15 weeks
    Winter is still here, but a big week. image. It was cold commuting on the bike- 30 mins before the finghies warmed up.
    Did a run test and I am now 7 min mile- ing at my target hr... It was 7:40 last year
    2 big swims, another big run, then it was supposed to be a double bike weekend,
    Ended up with 2.5 hr turbo, then a 2 hr turbo and a 2 hr ride on Sunday.
    My feet were chilling off and starting to get cold, but hey it was still better than sitting on the turbo. I am not a fan of long sessions on that piece of torture

Anyway after temperatures of 0-1 degree for the last 2 weeks, the forecast is for 6-8 degrees, so the shorts might be out.....
    Positively balmyimage
  • Options

T-14 - big bike / run week, but no swimming.

I hate swimming in the winter!

T-13..... bugger running out of weeks I think
    Spring has spring.  Easy week with a bit of a taper as I have a half marathon tomorrow. 
    Generally felt needed as I needed some r&r - the mojo is back though image
    Also lets all the creaks and aches get a bit better

• Options

Had a big week last week - hit my 11 hours goal and yesterday did my longest ride of the year at 65 miles.

Started this week off well with a 90 minute run this morning before work.

Hope to hit all the targets this week and end up doing 12 hours.

Building up nicely.

• Options

Right numbers just released so if anyone is bored and not watching the Champions League final on Saturday 19th May, log onto www.ironmanlive.com and follow me on my quest to not die in Lanzarote. My race number for tracking is 865. Your support will keep me shuffling image
    And if you watch the video streaming into the night I'll be the uncomfortable looking one with moobs, black & white COLT kit and a lime green cap.

• Options

Ironholgs - don't make it look too uncomfortable - as I'll be sat there watching it with a beer in one hand image and credit card in the other about to enter for ExtrvaLanza 2013 image

• Options

I'll try my best to keep smiling image

Mind you I could make the flattest, easiest and quickest Ironman course look very uncomfortable.

• Options
    race numer 1218 image

Swim target - 1.10-1.15

bike - 6 hrs?? (maybe 6:30 if its really windy) Wales was 6:22

run - 3:30 target is now 5hrs+ / a dnf if it goes badly........ oops Moral of the story is 'Don't break whilst training!!!'

I will just be going v slow on the run and trying to enjoy it / finish.
  • Options

awesome guys, when do you leave?

• Options

I'm flying out tomorrow.

Best of luck OC, pretty certain I'll only see you in the latter stages of the marathon, given your predicted bike and swim times re much faster than mine. Am sure you'll finish just fine.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

just read this, wow, good luck, I'll be tracking you!

• Options
    All the very best guys! I'm starting my massage course next Saturday, but so long as you promise not to finish by 17:30, i'll be along to track after that image
  • Options

Good luck guys, have a great time.

• Options

Good luck everyone going.  I'll be rooting for you.