How often should you replace running shoes?

Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused.

How often are running shoes supposed to be replaced? and how long can you keep them?

Mine are very old, they have always been comfortable but they are starting to give me a bit of trouble lately and i noticed the sole is.................disapearing!

Yes, i know i have to replace them, and i'll do soon, but in general, how long are they supposed to last?

Comments

• Depends on lots of factors, your weight, the type of shoe, the surface you run on, your running gait etc.

General idea is around the 300-500 mile mark

You've covered a couple of the tell tale signs, they feel like there giving you problems and the sole is worn out. There's more pointers here

•  my running shoes last 4 -6 months based on 3 runs a week 20 or so miles .
  • Me, usually between 1,000 to 1,300 miles but most people say every 500 miles unless they start to breakdown earlier.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I replace them after maybe 300 miles but that's because I strike on the outside front foot and it wears them really heavily there as it's hard to find shoes that have the more resistant rubber on that part of the sole - it's annoying as the harder rubber they put on the heel for heel strikers is usually still pristine.     I don't chuck them though I just use them as everyday knocking about in trainers.  
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Popsider - hi there.

Like you, I strike on the outside of my front foot and under normal situation would only get about 300m out of a pair of running shoes. I also think that the wear is caused partly by friction as I don't strike the floor cleanly. The hardest wearing sole I have come across was the Pegasus on which I managed 500m. Years ago when shoes were less robust and I ran high mileage I would wear out a pair of Adidas SL72s in three weeks! I used to nail a steel "toe tector" to the outside front edge to increase the wear. Unfortunately I used to make a rather annoying clicking noise when I ran on the road and when I ran fast on concrete surfaces I used to give off sparksimage

Again, like yourself my heel rarely strikes the ground, so I thought that there was no point running in shoes with heel cushioning. A few years ago I converted to racing flats for training. The absence of the higher heel means that my foot now strikes the ground slightly differently with the result that the point of forefoot impact is less localised. Now the area of midsole wear is larger and more uniform - to the extent that I get 800-900 miles out of a pair Asics hyperpeeds.....and they are much cheaper than the Pegs.
  • What about those uk military shoes kittenkat was testing ? She got a good distance from those ?
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I heard it was 500 miles I have just replaced 2 pairs of mine and find I go faster in new ones
  • cougie wrote (see)
    What about those uk military shoes kittenkat was testing ? She got a good distance from those ?

That's the UK gear one, designed for 1000miles for people who really hate to shoe shop image

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    500 miles seems to be the answer most commonly given. I have never seen an evidence to support this figure. It's going to vary depending on a variety of factors -height, weight, running style, type of shoe, etc. It's like a lot of running based things, if you really want to know the answer you have to make the effort and work it out for yourself.
  • I suspect the 500 mile figure comes from the manufacturers and retailers of trainers, i think there is very little scientific evidence out there to suggest that modern trainers prevent injuries. In fact, ive read studies that suggest people get less injuries with older trainer's and that more expensive trainers are often more likely to lead to more injuries. Ultimately its a personal thing, if your trainers start to feel uncomfortable by all means change them....but there isnt a hard and fast rule, ive worn my current pair (and cheapest bought) beyond 1500 miles without trouble whilst many of my club mates change them very regularly (seemingly with more injuries)....
  • if they last 300-500 miles then poor old paula Radcliffe must change her trainers every other week!
  • Tom. wrote (see)
     I used to nail a steel "toe tector" to the outside front edge to increase the wear. Unfortunately I used to make a rather annoying clicking noise when I ran on the road and when I ran fast on concrete surfaces I used to give off sparksimage .

Cool !!

I want one of those!