Greenwich Park

Comments

• I would also not be able to do 14th since I will be at a wedding in Ireland. What about earlier that week though? The hill of reknown in the park is great for making one feel virtuous: a few reps up and down it and you do get some strange looks from the dog walkers.
  • Ok...I knew this wouldn't be easy - but if we can do that hill dammit we can find a date that we can all make....

How about Tuesday the 12th or the following Thursday the 21st??....

Cheers, Soo.
  • I could do either: all we now need is something more of response from other people. You would think you had suggested a run rather than just beers by the river on a summer's evening!
  • I'll stop off for a quick OJ to get to know the faces - either day!

Cheers.
  • Either day for me, but Thursday 21st preferred.
  • Ok the plan:

Thursday the 21st at the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich. 6pm-ish. I will definitely be there. To aid in identification for those who don't me I'll have a prominently displayed copy of Runner's World with me.

So far - we've got me, Crafty Boy, Slow Jo, Gavo and Multi. I'll extend a special invite to the Fans and I'll start stalking the other forumites and see if we can't add a few more names to the list! Come on guys - we might even get an informal running club started. Enough people on here have indicated an interest in finding other folks to run with.... And if nothing else you might find out about some new local running routes.

Cheers, Soo.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    21/8 looks good for me. Was going to do Oxleas at w/e but hurt my foot on Thursday so am resting it at the moment.

I'll recognise you SBD!
  • Have put it in my diary. I will aim to escape from work early but it is unlikely I will be there until 6.30 at the earliest. Don't come and go without me!

• Cool with me also. I'm normally cycling around that time but I'll stop off for a quick one anyway.

Cheers.
  • In my diary too - but 7.00 is the earliest I could get there.
  • Great!

Greenwich Park Runners Informal Gathering...

6:30 onwards at the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich

Now - all of you shy folks who posted earlier but are remaining very quiet on the meeting front.... Really - I'm actually quite nice and fairly normal (I'm Canadian - how wacky can I be??). And I've met Gavo and Slow Jo and can vouch for both of them (Slow Jo's actually much nicer than me). Crafty Boy is an unknown - but I've studied his postings and I think he's ok.......

So come along - you might find a new running partner (me and Slow Jo are - well - slow; I think Crafty Boy and Gavo are speedy)(so lots of options already!)....or you might just enjoy a pint by the Thames....both sound like good outcomes to me.

Hope you'll join us.

Cheers Soo.
  • Well, Soo, thanks for the vote of confidence that I am not a wierdo.

See you in August.
  • I was in the park this morning and there were loads of runners about, any of you guys out there. Is the gathering still on for Thursday 21st?
  • I think im still in france but if im not then im sure i could be persuaded to try a couple of shandies.
    if not we'll just have to arrange another!
  • Domsk and Plum - Gathering at the Trafalgar Tavern is definitely still on for the 21st so I hope you'll come along.

I'm keen to meet you all - learn a few Greenwich Park secrets and swap bionic ankle stories with Multi.

Cheers, Soo.

• Domsk

I was there between 09:00 and 11:30. The sun was rather energy sapping to say the least!

SBD, the reglar calf stretching together with standing weighted calf raises works a treat. Moral of the story; listen to the physios (and SBD of course!!)!

• Sorry, just realised what date it is - I was there this morning!!

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Wanted to run part of GP last night but they blocked off the Thames Path in the new developments by Woolwich which put me off my stride so I went home.

BTW, SBD shouldn't be describing me as speedy at the moment. Or any moment really. will be at the Traffy next Thursday - copy of The Times under one arm, rose in the buttonhole of my flasher mac and a URWFRC thong. Say 'hi' if you spot me.
  • The sun was sapping on Saturday as well, best place for hill reps though!
  • Just thought I'd revive this to remind everyone (and fill people in who don't know yet...)

Informal gathering of folks who run in Greenwich Park/Blackheath - Thursday 21st August at the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich from 6:30ish. I'll have a copy of RW with me just in case you don't recognise me from the pic..

I'm just back from the park actually - a great morning for running. Sunny, bright and cool....

Hope you're all well!
    Cheers, Susan.
  • Hi Soo!

I remember you told me about this thread at the social a few weeks ago, but I never could find it afterwards.

I'll pop over. You proposing to stay at the Traffy all evening, or pub crawl?

btw, the success of a social gathering depends upon the list of attendees you put up in advance.

Snoop x (Hon Secretary of RW Forum London Social)
  • Hi Snoop

We would be honoured to have such an illustrious member of the RW Forum Social team join us!

I think we'll probably just stay at the Trafalgar Tavern. I'm counting on a beautiful summer's evening by the river...swapping stories of the hill...finally learning where the heck this Oxleas Wood/Forest place is....

Wasn't sure if your suggestion meant I should 'pad' the attendee list with the names of celebrities to draw in the crowds... but I've decided to go for honesty. List of attendees so far:
    Crafty Boy
    Domsk
    Gavo
    Multi
    The Plum
    Slow Jo
    SooBDoo
    Snoop

There were a few other people who popped into the thread earlier on who I'm hoping will join us.

See you soon.
    Cheers, Soo.
  • well done there Soo - not a bad first time effort.

Oxleas Wood? Not sure what you mean when you say that (guess I'd have to trawl the thread to find out). Suffice to say though, I ran passed Oxleas Wood last night during a 10 mile training run in the Welling/Sidcup/Eltham area, and the usual dozen or so cars were parked up there by the wood in Welling Way with internal lights busily signalling to each other - (it's not known as Coxleas Wood locally for nothing - rather you than me).

see you Thursday then..
  • Just caught up with this thread I hope to be able to make it,I have been known to run around G,Park,I start out at plumstead common across blackheath and into the park out at the bottom then pick up the river back to plumstead.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I'll try to bring a map to show you where Oxleas Wood is then Soo. Will be there but not at 630
  • just found this thread - dunno how I've missed it for the past 6 weeks.

Whilst running in G.P. last night (in the rain - were any of you there? there were quite a few people out) I did think what a shame it was that so many people run there and yet there's no club. I'd really appreciate some kind of arrangement; particularly running along the Thames Path, I get so anxious by myself. Even if it was just knowing that other people were doing the same run that night and maybe meeting in the pub afterwards, it would make me feel a bit safer!

So, is it too late to add my name to the list for Thursday?
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    never too late to join the list Snail. I was running the path down by Woolwich a couple of weeks ago and one of the gates was locked - is this normal? Granted it was around 930pm but is this a new policy on the new housing schemes that they have set up there?
  • missed the rain since I was coming back from Ireland but was pleasantly surprised not to be dropping beads of sweat by walking off the plane (let alone running)after the last couple of weeks.

looking forward to Thursday
  • I got caught in Sidcup in that cloudburst at about 7 p.m. last night, but it was very refreshing after the temperatures of recent weeks.

btw, 'the Yacht', a few yards away from the Trafalgar Hotel, is much more runner friendly - maybe someone else would like to check it out for a second social after this week's one.