Weedfree OW swimming

Went OW for the first time in about 8 weeks yesterday at Thorpe and while the lake looked lovely, it was fantastically weedy.  Not just spots of weeds, but for long stretches I was swimming through weeds that reached the surface. 

I'm not a pussy about most things in life, but really have a massive phobia about weeds.  So, I didn't enjoy my swim at all. On the plus side, apres-swim, the bacon butties were generous and they have plenty of picnic benches.

Last year I swam at Datchet and they had similar problems late season but as I remember, the weeds were patchy.  

Heron always used to have problems with weeds and strange rice like stuff floating on the surface but I haven't been there for years so not sure if it's still the same?

Princes Lake apparently put some UV filter thing in the water to stop the late season weeds but it is strangely closed until further notice which doesn't help.

So..... does anyone know if there's a lake West / North West London that doesn't have weeds that I can happily swim in for the next couple of weekends so I don't have to take diazepam beforehand?

Comments