Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

• Thanks a lot ATM and Tricky Dicky. So much more lucid than the website - which reads like it's been translated by an online English/French dictionary!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah, toilets...Message me through the forum, Iain and I'll send you some notes about the course and everything you could possibly want to know about the portaloos...

4hrs puts you in Green.That's the best pen. image

• Toilets are ATM's favourite subject....
  • That's a crappy subject yer_maj, let's move it along before someone posts the Bristol Stool Chart

Oh no, I can feeling it coming.....

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

oooh yes toilet humour! How's the legs Tricky?

• Note to self - stop reading this thread at breakfast time.
    Lovely pink and misty early run this morning. Looks like it's going to be a hot one today in this part of the world.

Fingers crossed for DV and his MRI scan today.
  • Just off for my last long run before the HM....across the Barrage in the sunshine - lovely
  • By 'eck that was hot and hard - and not in any good way....
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Well done, yer_maj.Now you can ease up and get ready for your Half. Paint your nails bright red. You'll go faster...

A beautiful morning has disappeared and been replaced by the usual, grey, Is-it-September-June-January? type of afternoon. Must check the leaves on the trees...

Dr. DV's gone to see a real Doc...image I hope things go well. And fast.

• Ok - firstly, hello to all on this thread.

This is my first post here and if I enter, it will be my first marathon. My girlfriend thinks I'm mad as she thinks I should do one locally but Brighton (I'm in Pompey) has been full for a while and Edinburgh (not that much closer than Paris) has had bad reviews from people I know who have run it.

Could someone give me a summary for the other 490+ posts on this thread - I'll try and read through them all when I finally get released from work and after my 2 x 2m threashold run (which I'm still trying to get my head around!)

Thanks in advance - hopefully this is a superb event and I should not miss it........image

• Hmmm, summary of the other 490 posts for you Richard.....

You're mad, we're all mad too, we like being mad together and some of us intend to run the Paris marathon next year and some of us have run it many consecutive times before and treat each other like close friends, not lost disembodied souls out there in cyberspace. We are friendly, encouraging, full of good advice and sometimes prone to naughtiness or toilet humour. What else do you want?

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/345267/Gallery/bristol-stool-chart_0.jpg

Oooh, I could feel that coming along.

Oh yes, welcome onboard Richard!! image Nothing implied with the proximity to the above picture...

• Yer-maj, I had a hot run at lunchtime too. Reckon it's about 24C or so outside. Went at tempo pace for the first 5k but a combination of hilliness, temps and post-mara fatigue meant the HR was a bit too high and I put my sensible head on and backed down to an easier pace.  Was great to get the legs spinning again after 3 inactive days!

Richard - I couldn't think of a nicer or more memorable place to run your first marathon than Paris. It's a relatively easy course to run, there's plenty to keep your non-running (?) girlfriend busy and you are guaranteed the friendliest thread on the RW forum by sticking around. We really do know alot about Paris and a fair bit about running training here.

Our combined wisdom is probably worth money, but we don't charge anything at all image

Oh yes, and we are all really young and very attractive*. Especially O&O.

* to mosquitoes

• Thanks Dicky - its OK I can related the above picture to most of my input in various conversations!

Well, I'm liking the welcome and I think I am leaning towards Paris, Barcelona was also on the radar but that thread had only one post - maybe it is too hot for them to bother starting a conversation or maybe they are still sleeping......

My girlfriend is a runner actually but I think marathon puts the fear of god into her. Of course I'm dubious but I like to embrace the challenge and after doing two half's and going into a third in November (which I will run with her at her pace) I feel the time has come. It was either that of Triathlon and my swimming technique is not the best!

Also, I cannot think of anything more iconic than running past the Eiffel Tower, that must be enough to give anyone a lift - which of course I wont use when I trek to the top after the race (stairs do not break down!)

Yes - I think this weekend will be about making a decision but I think it is pretty much made.........

So all I need to know now is;

Where to stay, how to eat, when to eat, when to drink, how much to drink, how to train, what colour vest to wear, what predicted time I should put down, how to lace my trainers, how to get there, how to fill out the medical form, ..........etc

• Richard Chowns wrote (see)

So all I need to know now is;

Where to stay, how to eat, when to eat, when to drink, how much to drink, how to train, what colour vest to wear, what predicted time I should put down, how to lace my trainers, how to get there, how to fill out the medical form, ..........etc

Paging ATM....
  • Hello all...I will actually go back and read this whole thread but just to say (it might take me a wee while to get through it all) that Paris marathon is on the weekend of me and MrGFB's 25th wedding anniversary so I'm going to pass it by him if we should do it...he has IMLZ on the 19th of May (six weeks after) so it mighten'd suit.

I'm really excited by the thought (we are a wee bit bonkers though!!) - will read back image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Afternoon, all.

Welcome to the thread, Richard and Gingerfurball.This, 2012, re-incarnation of the Paris Marathon thread  is teeny-weeny! Re-read it now before it gets to x-thousand posts....some of them even about running.

Richard, you won't have to do anything but run. * Following last year's failure by one of the fastest men on our wee planet, but a Paris first-timer, to attach his chip image,  we'll even be round at your hotel the night before to lace yours onto your shoe....* 

Ginger',it's a great idea!  A training race /speed-sightseeing for Mr. G  and a lovely place to spend your Silver Wedding, surely...

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Psst, Ginger...Are you going to leave a padlock on the Pont des Arts? * Read back*
  • Oh no! If you sign up, GFB, I may have to - we could have a bit of a Mundane thread outing with Mr P image
  • 'Pont des Arts' - is that a euphemism ATM? Because in my opinion, on a 25th wedding anniversary, it should definitely be left unlocked. GFB - congrats on making it so far, it's not an easy thing to do.

image   image

Richard - fear's not a bad starting palce to embarque (see what I did there) on the Paris Marathon. You need that kind of respect to do the training but as hundreds of people who have been through this thread over the years will testify, the training gets you round.

Getting there is easy - turn left at Clapham.

Where to stay - literally thousands of hotels to choose from. Go enter an appropriate search term in Google. You can be reassured that it will be relatively expensive, quite cramped, wherever you go. But people will post their previous experiences for you to learn from and pick up. We all have different budgets.  Last year I stayed on the 26th floor of the Concorde Lafayette with a great view over the city and just two metro stops from the start/ finish area. There are cheaper options. We'll fill you in with the rest as we go along.

• Just back from my last trott before sunday - was a mere 27 degrees at 5pmimage, thought I'd never request this but can you all pray for lower temperatures in Jersey this sunday!!  Hey ho here we go again.

NGUG:  good luck with Miss NGUG's move to uni this weekend.  All I can say is that Ed is loving it - oh and he's joined the rowing club!!!! 

• lovely night for a 10k at recovery pace I think.... Not so sure about running earlier - just to warm for me.

Got vlm acceptance today also so definitely not Paris in 2012 but I will be with you in spirit and on the thread image
  • Thanks Fi she is still out on the razzle tonight.. jeezz kids... washing etc mostly done.. looking forward to seeing Coventry and Warwickshire.. where my mum grew up and I never really saw as I grew up in Surrey (sadly my mum no longer with us) so will be interesting...

Yeah rejection on VLM for me.. at least a 3 yrs in a row.. why do I bother.. convenience I guess as Greenwich is just round the corner.. ummm total decider when speaking to Mr NGUG  that Paris is again the one this year imageimage

• Another Larnden rejection for me.  I make that 6 now.  I don't know why I apply as I've no great enthusiasm for doing it but the more rejections I get the more I want to get in!  Mind you, very glad this year as still not pain free and still not running (beyond 3 x 20 minute jogs with eldest daughter per week).  Been over 4 frickin months now image
  • It was the fourth time of asking for me...the application process for Paris is far more civilised!

• Morning image

I read back (kinda scanned mostly) - you are a chatty bunch image - come on Frodo! Lets both do it!

Had a chat with MrGFB and he agrees with me that if we were to go to Paris for our anniversary and it was at the time of the marathon it would just be plain rude not to do it...so I think we're going to aim for it...will commit more definitely in the coming weeks.

For me it would be my 7th marathon (and I seem to be getting slower!!) and I would most definitely be in the pink image

I would have to build my running base up (from my current coupla miles a week *blush*) but as my aim was for a spring marathon (and got booted out of London and Belfast is crap! - we're from Norn Iron) Paris would be perfect timing.

*settles in* image
  • I've heard nothing from vlm ballot - do they get in touch by email or post?  Having been told I had a definite charity place - that has now disappeared into the ether!!  So will just wait and see, but will be doing Mont St Michel marathon rather than paris as closer to Jersey and oh so much easier to get to!!! 

But can I still stay on this thread - please.image

Also - now saying going to be 26 - 28 degrees on sunday - joy of joys!!  Have decided to run without garmin and just have a normal watch.  As so hot will just go by feel and see how it all pans out.  Do know mile points and that way no pressure will just enjoy the sunshineimage.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ginger', you would feel horribly left out if everyone else was running through the streets and you were just standing there.Enter , now...before the price goes up. image * The fee increases in stages*  You know you will, later, anyway..

Congratulations, Stray Runner.We'll miss you, though...

Fantastic day, here. 'Off to the sea , in birthday suit.

• Yup, as expected, the London Folks don't want my fleet feet in 2012 but the French are less picky, so I paid my 80 euros last and have entered Paris, so to speak.  This will be marathon no2 for me, unless I also squeeze in Baraclona in March.

Shall review this thread over the weekend and find out how many annoying, repetative questions I can ask to wind up Darth, Tricky, ATM etc..

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Vas-Y, Phil! The old questions are the best.Fire away...image Anyway, it's not possible to annoy anyone here.We're all on strong medication..