insurace cover for overseas triathlons

I am looking for insurace cover for myself and the OH for a traithlon in the u.s.a, (for bike and racing on the day) I could do with some help on finding a good policy. Any advice gratefully recievedimage

Comments

• We've just insured with Liverpool Victoria - an annual policy including triathlon cover for the pair of us for £130 - and I have pre-existing conditions which have bumped the premium a little.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • The reccommended ones that I know of are

www.dogtag.co.uk

www.sportscoverdirect.com

Cant remember who I went with this year but I shopped around and went with the most competitve, depends on what level of cover you need

BTA will cover to a certain level as will the race license, you may need added health insurance and check on contents insurance that your possessions are covered away from home and see what you have left to cover
  • one thing about competing in the US - your BTF licence doesn't cover your race insurance like it does in the UK or Europe and you will still need to buy a day licence. that came as a $10 surprise when we did IM Florida.

however, US athletes doing European events are covered with their USAT membership.

one way traffic?? yep
  • fat buddha wrote (see)

one thing about competing in the US - your BTF licence doesn't cover your race insurance like it does in the UK or Europe and you will still need to buy a day licence. that came as a $10 surprise when we did IM Florida. however, US athletes doing European events are covered with their USAT membership. one way traffic?? yep

why am I not suprised?!

Melds thanks for the links, I will get the OH on to it.

• I can see why.

If they are racing in Europe then they can't be racing in USA. Therefore they can't have a crash in the USA and be sued by spectators for mental stress etc.

• Interesting points - i've just moved to Dubai and haven't even thought about insurance. I've got private medical, but it doesn't cover competitions so will need to research. I'll have a look at the links you guys have put on. Thanks!
  • GG You cannot get bike insurance here for when your out on the road, though contents insurance will cover if its nicked from your house (not going to happen here). Most medical insurance companies here (well at least the good ones) cover Tri as long as your not racing as a Pro. Skiing / diving  is not usually covered. You cannot take UK insurance cover once you become a non UK resident and as you have moved to Dubai your stuffed.. welcome to the world of the ex pat.
  • i use dogtag......
    covers lots of stuff, but is a little expensive.
  • Thanks all - i'll investigate some prices once we get our house sorted out and plum for something then. Am I right to assume that paying to enter an event will include insurance for that event for public liability, etc, or is that needed separately?

PS thanks again for the run last night, DD, see you next week. How do i get myself a milers running vest?
  • GG: Bring AED 100 on Monday and the yellow vest will be yours!