Rugby World Cup 2011

It's less than 2 weeks to go!

• Who's your team and how far do you think they'll go?
  • Is it New Zealand's year?
  • Will you be in the pub at 8am to watch the matches?

Here's a cute Lego cartoon to get you in the mood:

Lego Rugby World Cup

Comments

• It will be Austrian's year I'm afraid or maybe South African. England will get so far play better than they can and get slagged off by a press talking nonsense when they are beaten by a better side. New Zealand will bottle it again I'm Afraid they have the best players but lack the mental strength when under pressure.

Sorry Kiwk's out there I might be wrong. image

• I'll be shouting for Ireland as usual.  Although I think it will be more a case of shouting at Ireland.

Too old, too injured to get very far I fear. 

All Blacks should be too strong and are aware of there lack of WC success and will be wnating to put it right.

• Austrian? I didn't know they were playing, Cake! image

I think NZ will do it this time as losing the Tri-Nations will be a wake-up call for them.

Ireland have been v. unlucky with injuries, felt so sorry for Paddy Wallace in the last game. I think they may struggle to qualify image

I expect France to be absolutely squished by NZ as revenge for '99 and '07. They will then play England in the QF where they will lose, in the rain, again image

But until then - ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!

• ALL BLACKS  anything else just isn't rugby

• Reminds me of Dumb and Dumber. "I'm From Austria" - "G'day mate, slap another prawn on the barbie"

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

England - Probably not as far as I'd like

It will never be the Bottlers year.

No, I will be at my rugby club. You can't beat it.

I think the Aussies will have it, the Saffers have one game and struggle to change it when that doesn't work. Les Bleus will be magnificent. And then fall apart dramatically when it really matters. The All Blacks will go out in the quarters with a whimper, along with Wales and Ireland. Scotland may as well save the fare and hotel by staying at home. Argintina are no longer a surprise when they do well. Italy could pull off a shock or two, but it won't be enough. One of the outsiders will get into the quarters and everyone will support them, as long as it's not their team they're playing of course!

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Wales won their very own world cup beating England a few weeks ago.

I will be in the pub, looking forward to a rugged forward-dominated game against the Argies.
  • All blacks, at home, nothing more to add ....
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

All Blacks.  Two losses staged by the management without telling the players to ensure they remove the regular overconfidence that plagues them going into the World Cup as favourites.  Shame they couldn't have come up North for a strategic loss, but they'd never lower themselves to that, or reduce the mystique that surrounds the Tri-Nations teams.  (Wow, Argentina are going to be coming up and doing Grand Slams of the Isles in a few years!)

I'll be supporting Wales passionately for their four matches, and then probably have to switch to supporting France.  Definitely in the pub early doors, miss what would have been a decent sermon probably including references to David and Goliath, but back for Sunday Roast...

• I'll be with Ratzer supporting Wales until some minnow nation like Western Samoa comes along and gives us a wake up beating......"Wales were lucky they weren't playing the whole of Samoa"....

we're like curate's eggs at the mo - good in parts and far too many key injuries. but it does give the likes of Warburton and Wyn-Jones a chance to shine on the world stage and show what world class players Wales can turn up at times.

England will go far despite their failings - they have an ability to grind out results as showed in the last WC. but they won't win - that will come from the usual suspects in NZ, SA or Oz.

If the Kiwis don't win this time around there will be much gnashing of teeth. They have the ability, players and tactics to win it - and should in my books - we will see.

On 11th September, Wales open their action against South Africa. That day I will be competing, with many other compatriots, in Ironman Wales in Tenby. Am hoping for good vibes to come from supporters with feedback to keep me going as I will be grinding out a tough 112 mile bike ride while the match is on. A win will help me on the run enormously!
  • BTW, ITV4 are doing a series of Rugby World Cup programmes with Lawrence Dallaglio and Craig Doyle. There was a good one on NZ on Monday night and there's another one scheduled for tonight at 9pm.

Good luck for your Ironman, FB! image

• Little Nemo - No more marathons! wrote (see)

Austrian? I didn't know they were playing, Cake! image

I think NZ will do it this time as losing the Tri-Nations will be a wake-up call for them.

Ireland have been v. unlucky with injuries, felt so sorry for Paddy Wallace in the last game. I think they may struggle to qualify image

I expect France to be absolutely squished by NZ as revenge for '99 and '07. They will then play England in the QF where they will lose, in the rain, again image

But until then - ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!

image Sorry dyslexic boy strikes again. image NZ have had a load of wake up call's down the years but never really learnt from them so we will see.
    Don't Talk to Me about Running Ratzer wrote (see)

All Blacks.  Two losses staged by the management without telling the players to ensure they remove the regular overconfidence that plagues them going into the World Cup as favourites.  Shame they couldn't have come up North for a strategic loss, but they'd never lower themselves to that, or reduce the mystique that surrounds the Tri-Nations teams.  (Wow, Argentina are going to be coming up and doing Grand Slams of the Isles in a few years!)

I'll be supporting Wales passionately for their four matches, and then probably have to switch to supporting France.  Definitely in the pub early doors, miss what would have been a decent sermon probably including references to David and Goliath, but back for Sunday Roast...

To be honest mate I think Wales play better rugby than england. Fat B hit the nail on the head for why England always end up winning more. Keep the faith the boys from the valleys time will come. FB good luck in IMW. image
  • Good luck in that Ironman Wales, FB!  Strangely I believe we might have the measure of SA, who are basically the same curate's egg (but with green bits instead of red) and we'll be throwing all our fit players in.  By the time we play Namibia we'll have no regular first team players left, and then Fiji will deliver the coup de grace to our second string.  So you'll be hearing a lot of cheering news for an hour or so of your stupidly long bike ride which I don't envy you, though I really envy you that finishing feeling!

Cake, yeah, I think we do, but you need good rugby and strong rugby.  If you don't have both, I'd rather have strong rugby.  But it is boring...

Wyn-Jones needs to shine somewhere before he can shine on a world stage.  He's not in a good year.  Bit like Ryan Jones a couple back.  Charteris might not be the perfect complement in the way Gough was.  Warburton is going to be challenging for the top spot and SA will be very interesting for him.  A glut of 10s at the moment, but the 9s are a little off and we're short of 12s and 15s.  Pack is good, if not strong, but weaker at 2, 6 and 8 even though there's a wealth of back row players.  We need our top props to stay fit or we're stuffed.

England need decisions made right across the backs, and not just at centre, so I don't know why everyone focuses there.  Scotland need some players to turn up at rugby clubs around the country.  Ireland need to just put out either the Munster or Leinster teams and stop mixing them up.

• Don't Talk to Me about Running Ratzer wrote (see)

Cake, yeah, I think we do, but you need good rugby and strong rugby.  If you don't have both, I'd rather have strong rugby.  But it is boring...

Afraid England and Wales don’t presently have the strength in depth to do both at the moment. Ireland do if they play the right players who know each other inside out and Scotland have talent but just takes one injury and they are playing with folks who wouldn’t normally make the grade.
  • Ratzer - I'd like to think we have the measure of SA as they are probably the weakest of the Tri-nations teams despite beating NZ recently, and are carrying a few key injuries themselves. but somehow I don't see it happening on the day - just hope I'm wrong and I get positive vibes on the bike as I will sure need them.

you're right about England - they have a pack that's probably as good as any around even if they aren't as dynamic as the NZ one but their backs are like headless chickens - they seem clueless at times with what to do with all the possession they get and just seem to choke. strange.
  • Can't see anyone beating New Zealand this time; they really look too good.

Australia seem to have sorted out their scrum, so should be very competitive.

South Africa will do well, but they seem to have come off worst from the Tri-Nations; they need to improve to win it.

No idea what Martin Johnson's messing about at; there really is lots of English-qualified backs talent in the Premiership, but england loook no further forward in finding a midfield combination than they've been for years...and without that, our exciting back three won't see enough of the ball to win.

Ireland must be worried. They're in no sort of form.

Wales have been going ok and should have a good tournament (but they're not going to win it)

I've seen Argentina v. Wales then their second string v. Worcester; they weren't very good in either game; their much-vaunted forward power seemed sadly lacking (and Worcester stuffed 'em up front)

Not really seen anything of the others, so I'll (unusually) keep my big mouth shut...

• Mad Marc Lievremont will be stepping down after the RWC and Philippe Saint-Andre will be taking over:

New French Coach

Always liked him as a player and I think he did an OK job at Sale? It will be interesting to see if he's more consistent with his team selection or he pulls names out of a hat the way ML seemed to!

• Goret* should do well for France I reckon - he's earned his stripes with Sale and Toulon and is about ready. he wasn't a bad player either!

*goret - affectionate term for a pig if I'm correct LN??
  • Ahh, my French didn't get much further than 1st year of A level at evening class, FB image

Le singe est dans l'arbre image

• Boing!

3 sleeps to go image

Flashmob Haka

Boss at work is a rugby fan so I'll be able to watch some of the build-up and match on Friday image

• image Cool.

Anyone got any predictions for the first games I'm thinking?

9 September:
    New Zealand v Tonga, Eden Park, Auckland (0930 BST)  New Zealand win

10 September:
    Scotland v Romania, Rugby Park Stadium, Invercargill (0200 BST) Scotland win
    Fiji v Namibia, Rotorua International Stadium (0430 BST) Fiji win
    France v Japan, North Harbour Stadium, North Shore (0700 BST) France win
    Argentina v England, Otago Stadium, Dunedin (0930 BST)  England but ony just

11 September:
    Australia v Italy, North Harbour Stadium, Auckland (0430 BST) Ozzy win
    Ireland v United States, Stadium Taranaki, New Plymouth (0700 BST) Ireland win
    South Africa v Wales, Wellington Regional Stadium (0930 BST) Dare I say it Wales win?

14 September:
    Manu Samoa v Namibia, Rotorua International Stadium (0330 BST) Samoa
    Tonga v Canada, Northland Events Centre, Whangarei (0600 BST) Tonga
    Scotland v Georgia, Rugby Park Stadium, Invercargill (0830 BST)  Georgia (sorry scots out there) image

15 September:
    Russia v United States, Stadium Taranaki, New Plymouth (0830 BST) USA

• I think SA will beat Wales, sorry image 

Scotland will beat Georgia. I've decided that the only way France are going to win their quarter-final is if they play Scotland. So Scotland have to win their group! Should be quite straightforward, right? image

• I fancy Wales for one game above and beyond what they are capable of and to be honest thought it would start a debate. For Scotland I’m thinking it’s going to be route one all the way in the game and Georgia do that well and will be a little bit mud and bloody.
  • Is the RWC being shown on "normal" tv or do i have to make friends with the bloke with SKY down the road again??

• ITV as always I think? They did a big deal with the RWC years ago when no-one was interested in such things.
  • It's being split between ITV1 and ITV4. They'll be on ITV Player as well

Wonder who they've got commentating? They had some awful people last time and some horribly smarmy bloke anchoring but I've managed to blank out all the names!