Olympics

Now that the world champio nships have finished

How many track Medals will Team GB win next year

I'm going for 2 Gold (Jessica Ennis Mo Farrah) 4 silver  (Long Jump, womens 1500m, 400m hurdles, 10,000m) and 4 bronze (relays, 110m hurdles,)

I don't think Paula Radcliffe will get a medal and some will find the pressure of performing on home soil too much.

Comments

• Did you mean triple jump instead of long jump? If not Phillips Idowu must be in with a chance of a medal too?
  • K

Well spotted   TRIPLE rather than long

• Charles VC has said 8 medals in total is the target. If you play the percentages team GB will have, what, 5 realistic gold medal hopes, so 2 golds seems reasonable off that. Factor in the realistic gold medal hopes who don't get gold and you've already got 3 likely silver/bronze... Looking at the team's performances in the relays I wouldn't bank on medals there - what was going on with the men's 4X100 today?

Paula will either run spectacularly badly or amazingly well.

Of course all of this depends on none of the main hopefuls not getting injured!
  • If Harry A spends more time pumping up his upper body maybe he can block all 8 lanes!!
  • Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    If Harry A spends more time pumping up his upper body maybe he can block all 8 lanes!!

LOL - he's enormous image

I think 8 medals is realistic, maybe 1 or 2 golds. It would be nice to be competitive in the 4x400M relays again.

• 8 is probably a realistic target - but what I would like to come away with is the feeling our athletes have done their best - We have two of the best long jumpers around and yet both seemed to be injured on the day (again) - I know that the middle and long distance races are often run tactically so slow times are expected but if Athletes have peaked properly and fully fit you would expect to see the sprinters, throwers and jumpers near to their personal bests if not setting PBs -

What I am looking forward to is a return to the BBC commentary team - complete with Michael Johnson.

• I can't remember the details, but some one somewhere said that if the British team win as many medals as they did in Beijing, then they will have cost something like £250 million each.

• I didn't miss the BBC commentary as much as I thought I would. It was actually a relief to get a break from Brendan Foster image

Glad they got rid of that Ortis bloke though - he was awful, poor chap!

• I remember hearing some ridiculous figure per medal/gold medal after Bejing, though I'm not sure if that was for the whole of the British Olympic team or just the athletics (or even if there are some sports that proved much better value for money than others). Seems a lot of money, but if you want to win the coconut you have to throw a lot of balls...
  •  

Now that the world champio nships have finished

How many track Medals will Team GB win next year

I'm going for 2 Gold (Jessica Ennis Mo Farrah) 4 silver  (Triple Jump, womens 1500m, 400m hurdles, 10,000m) and 4 bronze (relays, 110m hurdles,)

I don't think Paula Radcliffe will get a medal and some will find the pressure of performing on home soil too much.

I really hope home soil could push our medal count up next  year - but I think your near the mark other than the relays performance has been so poor!! As for cost UK invests so little compared to other nations - discuss image  

• Saved OTIS DELEY

He shows Hopelessness has a future on TV   image

• Here's a few highlights of Otis Deley. More entertaining than the athletics!

YouTube

• I'm just glad the BBC doesnt have commercials, did anyone else think that Ch4 managed to squeeze like 15 commercial breaks an hour in.
  • To give Channel 4 credit they did show things like the 10K without any ad breaks but I think that meant they had to squeeze more in the rest of the time to make it up. I still think they managed to show more of the field events then we normally get on the BBC and I didn't think it was quite so UK-centric either.

They'll be showing the next Worlds and the Paralympics so if Ortis did a bit more training he could make a triumphant return!

• SophieC wrote (see)
    I remember hearing some ridiculous figure per medal/gold medal after Bejing, though I'm not sure if that was for the whole of the British Olympic team or just the athletics (or even if there are some sports that proved much better value for money than others). Seems a lot of money, but if you want to win the coconut you have to throw a lot of balls...

My Sqeeze always gets two or three coconuts, out of half a dozen shots. 

Now if they had coconut shy as an Olympic event.... image

Personally, I think it's a grotesque waste of money - hundreds of millions per medal?  That could do an awful lot of tangible good in terms of schools or hospitals.

• If you offered me the same return again I'd take it like a shot.   Idowu probably has a decent chance of gold but neither Mo nor Dai Greene are what you'd called nailed on favourites so we could just as easily lose a gold as pick one up.    

Realistically Ennis is looking at the Russian going backwards or getting injured, she can throw a better javelin but I don't think she can throw it as far as she'll need to - she could have pbed and still not won gold.   

It's not a bad medal return - I'd like to see what other nations spend on their elite performance programmes though - I don't mind money being spent on sport but for me it should be about mass participation - elite success has a part to play in encouraging that but at times they do seem to have got the cart before the horse.

• The Ideal partner for OTIS would be Sam Fox or Mick Fleetwood

How entertaining would that be ?

SAVE OTIS

• Wilkie wrote (see)

Now if they had coconut shy as an Olympic event.... image

It should form part of the modern pentathalon