Ironman Wales 2012

Comments

• I shall be fully trained and ready to go this year image
  • Note Barlos does not commit to exactly what he would be fully trained at image
  • has signed up for the Hairy Arse, going to make a long weekend of it as its Jordy's birthday

• i will not sign up for this again until I know i can crack the bike.......probably have a go 2013.............i will go back .love the cycling jersey I bought but can't bring myself to wear it
  • Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    Don't forget to pop into The Kit Thread if you want kit for IMWales
  • Seren - you only just missed it last year.  Please think about doing it this year as you will have great Pirate support (and I will be there too!) image

• Had an email confirming the north beech as swim

• SA - I think that was announced a few weeks back as well??

I had a long chat with the guys at Activity Wales at the tri show and Matt has confirmed that they have no part in the 2012 event or the future.

based on that, I think we can kiss goodbye to any pirate takeover of transition which AW were happy with and I want no involvement with the new setup and have today cancelled my booking to come and support. if anyone wants to try to negotiate with IM to try to get a large presence of pirates in transition, they can gladly do so, but I'm out.

sorry folks that we won't be there to support but I'm sure you'll have cracking races - as a race it's still going to be a great event.

• latest news

Changes to the IRONMAN Wales Run Course for 2012 
    On reviewing athlete feedback from the IRONMAN Wales 2011 event we have decided to make some changes to the run course. This will remove the section around Castle Hill, with its steep climb, and include a section on The Croft, alongside North Beach, with views across the harbour.

Updated maps of the course will be available shortly on the website 

• schmunkee........I will not book any more events until after the double.......I might need a long time off to recover.....
    but i would like to do it before i retire from IM...........

When I do it I want to be confident that I will finish because I didn't take failing last time well.....I also need to sort out a few medical bits and pieces
  • The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

latest news

Changes to the IRONMAN Wales Run Course for 2012 
    On reviewing athlete feedback from the IRONMAN Wales 2011 event we have decided to make some changes to the run course. This will remove the section around Castle Hill, with its steep climb, and include a section on The Croft, alongside North Beach, with views across the harbour.

Updated maps of the course will be available shortly on the website 

if thats the bit i'm thinking of then it  means i wont fall down those steps again this year image
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    I hated that section, so would be delighted if it goes.

FB - really sorry that you won't be there. We'll miss you.
  • The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Had an email confirming the north beech as swim

Excellent news!  Now I don't even have to get out of bed to see you lot into the water image
  • You have feckin good eyesight Schmuks .. I thought you lived up the M4   image
  • i liked castle hill last year..... sorted the men from the boys.

i walked it every time image

shame to see it go.......
  • Long Course Weekend registered for Muffin and I. A 2-lap flounder round the swim on Friday night, followed by the long bike trundle on the Saturday. Not sure we'll bother with the run. Bit hard. Might hide MT's wetsuit so that I've got a chance of keeping up.

Anybody else down there for the weekend? Fancy meeting for a pint of Brains and some faggots?

• Interesting reading this thread, start to finish.

As a virgin to this tri concept, I am a little confused. Ironman is seen as the premier brand in the sport, and the entry fee is double that which others charge for the same event. What bonuses and benefits does this £200 branding money get the athlete? The undercurrent feedback implies that the events are worse once they get the IM brand.

• Blisters - I cannot fully comment as there are people far better placed to explain than me, but it's not the IM Brand that has caused the problems here; it is that IMUK have taken over the organistation from Activity Wales.

As I said, people who have had experience of other IM Brand races can give you specifics

• Blisters wrote (see)

Interesting reading this thread, start to finish.

As a virgin to this tri concept, I am a little confused. Ironman is seen as the premier brand in the sport, and the entry fee is double that which others charge for the same event. What bonuses and benefits does this £200 branding money get the athlete? The undercurrent feedback implies that the events are worse once they get the IM brand.

Blisters,

Ironman is the premier brand, this means they can charge more for their races, youre not getting £200 more in value but for most races youre paying for a slick professional organisation that does what it says on the tin.  Its supply and demand, nearly all Ironman races sell out and some very quickly, Ironman Florida for example sells out in a matter of minutes.

The undercurrent of earlier replies was a result of Ironman UK taking over the Ironman Wales organisation, Ironman UK has a poor reputation as its events havnt always been well organised, many people had avoided Ironman UK events for this reason and were glad that Ironman Wales (organised by Activity Wales) put on such a good first event.

However, Ironman UK organisation changed Chris and Ali Boon who ran the race since 2005 left in 2010, Kevin Stewart (ex London Tri Race Director) and Eerwn Dokter (Ironman Austria Race Director) are now in charge so perhaps things will change?

Im taking part in IM Wales this year and im fairly positive that the race will be well organised, that said its a shame that the Activity Wales crew are no longer involved.
  • Thanks Barley, I understand the supply and demand equation, but expect something in return for a top price ticket. I've also seen volatile opinions bandied around following races I've run over the years. Personally, I'm casting around for a very long range target (2013), which means losing tri-virginity this year. Maybe I'll come as a supporter to Tenby.

• I'm races are (usually) a big event - try feel like something special
    A lot of it is the organisation
    A lot of it is 2000 shaved/ buffed / compression clothes loons that turn up x days before the race an wonder around in M. Kit and compression tights/ oakleys
    A lot of it is the hosting town who really get behind it.....the crowd soup port makes these really special

Historically the European races ticked all the boxes. The crowds/ support at se of the German races has to be seen to be believed ( iTunes heartbreak hill on IM Germany). IMch and imA and challenge Roth are supposed to be similar....

IM Wales was great - not quite up there with the big European races but it was there first event, and it was good enough that I am going back for more
    As barley says, shame about activity Wales being left out
  • I need to get some sea swimming experience over this summer before I turn up at Tenby. Going to do the long course weekend, but I'm thinking it would be best to do more than that one days sea swimming.

Anyone know of any organised sea swim races? Can be stand alone swims or short tri's. Idlealy north rather than south.

I'll probably be able to organise a couple of swims via our club, but I like the idea of getting in the water with a lot of other people and some life guards arround!
  • Hey guys, I have been locked away for quite a bit (work not mental institution) and just recently came back into the forum.

I was wondering why my AW 2012 sport booklet had IMW not listed. Now I know ... I am disappointed to be honest. Still as it has been said before ... it is still IM in Wales, in Tenby and in a fenomenal course.

Hope to be around more from now on. How's training? Apart from "really" hard I mean. Anybody did the Hampshire Hilly Hundred Sportive as well? Saw the yellow and black on a strong fella there!

• Hi Crux. Llandudno Sea Tri is confirmed for 23 June and The Hairy Arse middle distance at Colwyn Bay is 21 July. They're both with "One Step Beyond".

•  My training for IMW is mainly going to revolve around staying up late and drinking in the bar image Unfortunately I won't be able to start training for this until after July 1st.

• slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Hi Crux. Llandudno Sea Tri is confirmed for 23 June and The Hairy Arse middle distance at Colwyn Bay is 21 July. They're both with "One Step Beyond".

Think The Hairy Arse is xtra mile events, which I now have history with after their shocking organisation of Manchester Marathon

• slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Hi Crux. Llandudno Sea Tri is confirmed for 23 June and The Hairy Arse middle distance at Colwyn Bay is 21 July. They're both with "One Step Beyond".

Thanks! Looks like a summer in Wales image

• Right you are SA. My mistake.

What's your plan for LCW, Crux? Anybody else going down to Tenby next week for it? Myself and Muffin Top will be arriving on the Thursday and we'll do the long swim and long bike. We're staying just out of town in a campsite with various relatives. It'd be nice to hook-up with people image 

• Just had the 3 months email IRONMAN Wales image

Wimble