716 - Iron Tractor Boy

900 - Slowerthanilook

1023 - Silent Assassin

1036  - Barley

1146 - Joddly

1161 - Slag

1311 - Cheerful Dave

• Options

279 in my catagory, though ive got a better chance of qualifying for Kona than most image

This could? be my 12th IM finish, if so, I can go into the ballot for the IM Legacy Hawaii slots if I finish.  I understand there were 180 ballot entries last year, 100 have places at Hawaii in 2012, 80 roll over to 2013 + new entrants (hopefully including yours truely). 

• Options

1 * 70 - 74 year old - jesus now to that i bow my cap. good luck all

• Options
    Who's been doing MY lists image

I aint called The List Fairy for nuffink
  • Options

Hokori what size Monaco do you need. I have a large you can borrow as I'm wearing my own club kit.

• Options

I am Large I guess ... I would love to borrow it. I am 6f2i

Apologies Schmuu, I actually thought you would appreciate me sorting by number like u did last year ... my  bad

• Options

Information for Barlos:

Last years M40-44 finishers with proper data from IMW (225 records) applies.

Average Time was 12:56:03 with seconds down to the closest integer.

The first 10 times were as follows (incidentally the list ends with The Admiral)

Category    CatPos    Total

M40-44       1              09:45:07

M40-44       2              09:47:08

M40-44       3              10:15:24

M40-44       4              10:20:09

M40-44       5              10:20:21

M40-44       6              10:20:35

M40-44       7              10:23:46

M40-44       8              10:27:55

M40-44       9              10:27:57

M40-44       10            10:28:51

• Options

It is amazing how far from a normal distribution a small subset like the M40-44 IMW finisher dataset is. Please see screenshot below of a histogram comparison for Barlos Age Group last year.

/members/images/669472/Gallery/Capture_Histogram_IMW_Barlos.PNG

The histogram however predicts 15 guys to finish on the average time itself and the IMW historic result puts 13 guys there (out of 222 results actually accounted for in the graph).

Please let me know if anybody "actually" wants any more statistics run ... I am a math freak.

• Options

It's too small a dataset to be meaningful.  Not to mention there are other factors that skew the distribution, like IM Wales attracting Kona-slot hunters from across the Channel.

• Options

Interesting statistics though, shows just how slow I am compared with the average.

• Options

That's the thing Barlos!. There is nothing average about Ironman. Just about one of the million beautiful things about it image

• Options

Graph shows me that you're unlikely to be lonely, whatever time you bimble round in. And that I have cock-all chance of finishing in the top half in my age group. Statistical likelihood of being overtaken by a lady old enough to be my Mum?

• Options

@Slower ... unlikely if you are sub15. But if it happens it will be at the run. The F50-59 sports relatively slow bike splits but consistent sub 5h IM maras.

Average Time was 14:41:08 with seconds down to the closest integer. (13 records)

I know these strong ladies are also unlikely to be old enough to be your mum but it is the end of the ladies spectrum.

• Options
    Nice graph....

I thought i had a bimble last yesr but that puts it into perspective a bit
  • Options

This time next week.......

Last "long" bike out of the way on Friday - only 3 hours! It went OK, but there seems to be a lot of fatigue left in my legs as I just tried a 10 mile unofficial TT, and was 90s off my fastest time, despite perfect conditions. Taking it v easy this week. Unfortunately the youth need my car on Monday, so I have to cycle to work tomorrow - it seems that even during the taper, life gets in the way!

I've been cheering myself up with a new scheme, which is much more reachable than Kona. The Long Distance world championships are apprently in France next year. As I understand the rules (which could be off the mark), you need to get inside 115% of your age group winner's time to qualify. If my AG is won in about 11:20 or more, then my last year's time of 12:59 would get me in. Mind you, competition will probably be fierce with the event being relatively nearby. Anyone else been thinking the same thing?image

• Options

The weather yesterday would have been perfect, not liking the present forcast.

• Options

You know better than me not to worry about a bit of heavy legs at this point, joddly. They'll be full o' beans by Sunday if you look after yourself this week. And I love your chat about the ITU "Longs". Be cool if you could get that nailed image

Using the same criteria, I'd need 11:12 to get into my AG category..... which ain't happening. Thankfully my ambitions stretch no higher than a finish, so provided I cross the line, I'll be happy enough.

Weather looks OK from here, Q. 12mph wind from the WSW, a fair likelihood of a couple of showers, but nothing heavy. 17 degrees max. I'll take that! It's also Rosh Hashanah, so I'm looking forward to somebody bringing figs n honey..... but no rams' heads, ffs image!

Strained my hamstring again on Friday night. Managed to do it in my sleep after a rest day. Bloody muppet! So other than the odd swim and physio session, I'm off games for the week. Anybody got a spare oxygen tent image??? 

• Options

Forecast looks reasonable to me and its been improving daily on the BBC long range.  I'll also take whats their now.

• Options
    slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Anybody got a spare oxygen tent image??? 

No Oxygen im afraid but could rig something up with some CO2 canisters and a bike box if that'll helpimage

• Options

Good luck all that are competing.

For those that are supporting, is there a spot that the pirates will be supporting from. I am planning to head down to support on the day.

• Options

BBT - I am hoping to see them into the swim for the 2nd loop, watch some run to T1 and then perhaps nip over to Wiseman's Bridge before coming back to catch the run from the grandstand.

I may swap Wiseman's Bridge for Saundersfoot, but I still need to plan my route bearing in mind the road closures

You're more than welcome to join me if my plans suit.  Or happy to hear if you have any better ideas image

• Options

STIL, sorry your hamstring's gone again - not too badly, I hope. What were you dreaming about....image?!

Has everyone tried Power Horse yet? I had some the other day, and thought it was quite nice, though it may be a different matter on the day. It seems to have quite a lot of caffeine in it, and my plan is to start on it some time during the second run lap, though it is a bit fizzy and things could go horribly wrong! 

• Options

I am thinking along the same lines Joddly. It all depends on how it all holds up at the time though. I may be tempted to delay it if I am not bonking too hard.

• Options
    joddly wrote (see)

STIL, sorry your hamstring's gone again - not too badly, I hope. What were you dreaming about....image?!

Hopefully it was something more exciting than the 3rd lap up to New Hedges! Is Power Horse going to be used instead of flat Coke/Pepsi? Must say, I'm very impressed by your fuelling plans. By the second half of the run, i tend to just scoff whatever my body tells me.

• Options

I'm liking that weather forcast

• Options

Im more than liking that forecast its perfect racing weather, 2-3mph winds!!!.  That said I do prefer it hot and sunny as dont have a problem in the heat.

Whats the betting a new front magically appears from somewhere mid week and its all change.

• Options

Tenby harbour webcam link here, but be warned, it will create OCD, http://www.virtualtenby.co.uk/Tenby-Harbour.asp

• Options

Where's the hurricane?!

• Options
    That weather forcast looks good to me.