Anyone done an Ironman at the gym?

Comments

• You're assuming it'll take him 17 hours?? He's done an eighth of an IM already, don't you know?!

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Yeah, won't take me 17 hours.  And 16k of the cycling will be done on my way to and from the gym.

gym is open 7.15am to 10pm = 14hrs 45minutes.

• If you have the mental stamina to do such a thing then I take my hat off to you. I still think you're a nutter mind you!

If it floats your boat, then go for it. And call it what you bloody well like!image

Let us know how you get on!

• So Bashers IronGymMan is bike a bit, swim, lots more biking, run.

Its not gonna look as good on the souvenir teeshirts as Swim Bike Run ?

Will you have a bento box on the gym bike, or dominos pizza number saved in your mobile phone ?
  • I suppose if you want to do it - there is no reason why you shouldn't = my only comment is that you would have to have the Gyms agreement other wise would they allow you to monopolise the gym equipment for such a long time!!

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭
    There is a chippy next door, thought if I have enough time left, I might get a big portion of fish and chips before doing the last hour or so on the bike, at a pretty slow pace.  I'd love to do a proper IM, but it's that £1k on a bike
  • BasherBasher ✭✭✭
    £250+ entrance fee, and all sorts of others.  I know there is a gym fee, but I’d be doing that too.  It ends up costing a bomb, I could do 2 weeks in Sri Lanka with the Barmy Army next spring (in fact I am) for the same price as a basic IM bike. 
  • No need to pay a grand for a bike. You can get decent ones for say £500 or so.

If you can afford the Sri Lanka jolly - you could afford Ironman. Its just that you have other priorities.
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
     I doubt that WTC would care that much even if they found out, but I just like being a pedant... image
    We know. It's why we love you.image
  • I HAVE considered a treadie marathon before. In fact - I've done two 20 milers on one so I would have only needed another hour or so.

Anyone else had a go?image

• if you want a day challenge of exercise indoors sounds like a good challenge........................

but it is nothing like a real outdoor event................its a bit like saying I would love to do an ultra running event 50 miles around the lakedistrict,..................but I can't travel there so 50 miles on the treadmill watching countyfile will be the sameimage

don't let money get in the way.............you can pick up a cheap second hand bike if you put some effort looking for it..............cheaper than gym membership probably.............

so no its not an ironman as you are mixing up the disciplines into different chunks and you are not using accurate distrances.................but you would be doing an unusual weird self challenge which is fine if that would satisfy your needs................I suspect it wouldn't thoughimage

• What seren said.

I've been as yet flippant, but in all seriousness, I have done one Iron-distance event only, and should therefore not be considered as having *any* authority on the matter whatsoever. In my opinion if you're switching events as and when you feel, and you can't guarantee the distance you've covered anyway, it's not an Iron-distance event, let alone an Ironman. Never the less, I still think it's a challenge in itself, and if you wish to test yourself in the cheapest way possible, then go for it. To call it something it isn't though, would be to undermine the achievements of those who chose to follow the prescribed route.

• It is a challenge, but its not ironman. And you're missing the whole point of Ironman - its the training leading up to it, the atmosphere around the town before, during and after the event. The race itself, chatting to people the world over, and suffering. Its a great experience and you'll not get anything like that from sitting on a gym bike watching MTV.

Its well worth the money.
  • BasherBasher ✭✭✭
    Yes but cougie, you seem to be forgetting that I'm a bit of a weirdo.  I genuinely enjoy watching the numbers go round on a treadmill, I like working stuff out like say I decide I wanna do a half mara in 2 hours, I'm constantly doing calculations in my head - if I run at this pace for this long I'll only have to run this fast to achieve my target over the last 30 mins or whatever. 
  • BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Well maybe, but I'd really like to go and see the number one test team in the world play cricket in an ocean paradise with lovely curry and hot weather.

• I do that on treddies too, if only to relieve the boredom.  I've done 20 miles on one a couple of times, and I suppose it was a personal challenge to do it, but more of the 'can I stick this for long enough' variety than 'can I run that far?'

If I did happen to do 26.2 miles on one though I'd probably not think of it as having run a marathon - I only use the term (or half marathon, or whatever) for actual races.  Same would go for ironman, covering the distance in your own time doesn't count as a race, and IM is a race.

• That's fair enough then, but you also obsessed about Ironman ?

Anyone done an Ironman at the gym?

Have any famous people done an Ironman?

What is the easiest IronMan?

You may as well just admit it - get the bike (did you not have one to do IMUK in 07) and enter one for next year ?

• Basher wrote (see)

Well maybe, but I'd really like to go and see the number one test team in the world play cricket in an ocean paradise with lovely curry and hot weather.

not enough obviously, otherwise you'd do it!
  • Hasn't Sri Lanka got an Ironman event?!! image
  • BasherBasher ✭✭✭

I didn't do the 2007 Ironman Cougie.

Oxymoron:  I am doing it, I've booked the flights - my first ever barmy army tour, and they don't come much better than SL.

• Basher wrote (see)

I didn't do the 2007 Ironman Cougie.

Oxymoron:  I am doing it, I've booked the flights - my first ever barmy army tour, and they don't come much better than SL.

That's not what he was talking about... image

If I decide to spend MY money on IM and watch all the matches while lying on a sunbed, can I say I've done both too?!

• Only if you watch the cricket on a TV in the gym, while on a treddie, SE.  For 5 days.
  • Basher you posted that you had 36 days to prepare for IMUK? Presumably you had a bike at that point ?
  • BasherBasher ✭✭✭

2007 was an annus horribilis (or is it mirebalis??? - anyway it was a bad year) for me and IMUK pretty much got sacrificed and I didn't make it to the start line.  The little training that I did do was on a bloody raleigh racer that I'd borrowed from my sister.  In fact part of the reason I don't wanna fork out the money is because I don't wanna see it wasted if I don't complete the Ironman.  Maybe I'll do one one day.  I banged on about doing a marathon for yonks and people might've thought I'm all talk but then I did one, and another two.  I banged on about buying a house for 15 years (always renting) then I finally bought one last month.  I banged on about going on an England cricket tour for about a decade, and now I'm finally going (well i've booked it and paid for it).  So I may yet do a proper Ironman, but it ain't gonna be 2012.  And just seeing how far I can push myself in the gym will at least give me an indication of what I'm capable of. 

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I HAVE considered a treadie marathon before. In fact - I've done two 20 milers on one so I would have only needed another hour or so.

Anyone else had a go?image

not done the whole distance but done 20 odd miles several times, whilst training for marathons. Mainly because I haven't got the day light and live in a rural location. I hate every minute on a dreadie, it takes away your ability to slow and spead up 'au natural' having to push buttons, just doesn't do it for meimage.

I do use the gym bike/dreadie for intensive brick training (5k bike on hill setting, then 1k run x5). As for training on the gym bike, the best your ever gonna get it to resemble outdoors, is on a faily high level on a random/hill setting.

• "In fact part of the reason I don't wanna fork out the money is because I don't wanna see it wasted if I don't complete the Ironman."

then you're not ready to tackle an IM if you're thinking like that. sure there's a chance you might fail, but you need to have the right mental approach that says "I won't fail". IM isn't purely physical, it's psychological as well

so go do one in the gym - it won't tell you diddly squat other than you can do the IM distances in a gym. doing it in a real event is a different matter altogether
  • Just my 2p worth -  running any long distance on a treadie is going to increase injury risk, striking the same floor at the exact same angle, at the exact same speed etc.  i suppose you could get a load of mates to get in the pool with you and punch you round the head and tag your toes to simulate the mass start though image
  • Doner Kebab wrote (see)
    .  i suppose you could get a load of mates to get in the pool with you and punch you round the head and tag your toes to simulate the mass start though image
    alternatively, go to the local pool on a sat a.m when there is a kids inflatable session onimage
  • Basher wrote (see)

- my first ever barmy army tour, and they don't come much better than SL.

West Indies ?
  • I banged on about doing a marathon for yonks and people might've thought I'm all talk but then I did one, and another two. I banged on about buying a house for 15 years (always renting) then I finally bought one last month. I banged on about going on an England cricket tour for about a decade, and now I'm finally going (well i've booked it and paid for it). So I may yet do a proper Ironman, but it ain't gonna be 2012. And just seeing how far I can push myself in the gym will at least give me an indication of what I'm capable of

Fuck me, I dont think you would sell many tickets on a motivational speaking tour!!