Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• Started my cycle/run training today.  I set off for an intended 25 mile bike ride followed by 6 mile run.  I know it isn't exactly Fink, nor is it base training, but I just wanted to try combining the two for my first time to see how I felt.

Twelve miles into a very windy and squally bike ride I heard a tinkling sound followed by a muted bang.  My bloody new rear tyre had shreaded (sp?) itself on a broken bottle or something.  Nothing I could do to repair that so I had to phone home to be picked up.  I had been going so well, feeling strong and had increased my average speed from 4 weeks ago by nearly 2mph.

In a bad temper I headed out in the rain for a 10 mile run.  My running pace has slowed a little so I dug in to try and salvage some semblence of a decent workout.

Logged my winterswim time last night.  After timing myself over the 16 lengths I decided to do a few lengths whilst trying to reduce my strokes each length.  I'm sure I did those lengths faster!!

• Bungle, I fell somewhere between the intermediate and the competative last year, I simply couldn't find the time to do a 5 hour bike followed by a 1 hour run then another 4 hours the next day, Mrs DD would have divorced me ( in fact I promised not to do any more IM, hence I might not have mentioned that Outlaw is a IM distance event!). So I loosely followed Fink but spread the load a bit more.

If any one want it I have the Fink plans on excel spreadsheet.

• muffin top wrote (see)

Cake, what an idea. Will sneak the kids a gaint box of Jelly babies before I leave for a bike ride on Sunday. OH can then watch them fizz and crackle on a sugar rush and I will get extra admiration for how I cope when I get home.

Campsite????? No booking needed, good buddy with a house in Notts. Goose down and a doubel bed for me xxx 

image Excellent. For anyone out there worried about outlaw find and read Timmy G's race report for the 2010 outlaw as well he was a hero!!!! and we all image him. Well I do anyway.
  • Cake wrote (see)
    muffin top wrote (see)

Cake, what an idea. Will sneak the kids a gaint box of Jelly babies before I leave for a bike ride on Sunday. OH can then watch them fizz and crackle on a sugar rush and I will get extra admiration for how I cope when I get home.

Campsite????? No booking needed, good buddy with a house in Notts. Goose down and a doubel bed for me xxx 

image Excellent. For anyone out there worried about outlaw find and read Timmy G's race report for the 2010 outlaw as well he was a hero!!!! and we all image him. Well I do anyway.

There's so much love in the room image

If you want to check out 2010 and 2011 Outlaw race reports, they're both on:

www.sub17.net

under race reports!!  See how slowly I did it and put your mind at rest image

• Completed the first Swim session today for they intermediate program. Quite enjoyed although the 12 x 100 were not easy. Had to cut the c/d short but did 2350metres which I was pleased with, probably the furthest ive swam since I was about 11.

30 min run this evening...

• How long did the swim take?
  • I've yet to walk the plank but I've taken the plunge and Outlaw 2012 is in the race calendar, or at the very least, on the credit card statement...

Rw

• Swim took 50min but missed the last 150m as I had to get to work. Work always seems to get in the way!

• I know the feeling. I don't think I can fit in the entire session in to 1 hour.
  • Bungle, Like Dubai Dave I fell somewhere in the middle of the competitive and intermediate. Fink has some good recommendations on time saving techniques like early morning workouts and lunch time workouts. I do almost all my workouts as early morning or lunchtime ones unless I'm meeting someone for a workout in the evening. I know I will find a reason to miss an evening workout if I'm not meeting someone. It might be more difficult with kids, I only had husband and work to worry about and even that was a major juggling act at times.

I knocked over two hours off my first IM time of 14.18 set at IMCH in 2009. I didn't race long in 2010. I didn't follow Fink's swim for 2011 but did swim with a masters group. But I did follow him more or less for 2011 on the bike and run though I think I added a couple of longer bikes for confidence builders. I'm trying to figure out how to continue improving from where I am now. I reckon the bike the main area I can still know a decent chunk of time off but am worried about neglecting either of the other three (swim. bike, rest), especially the rest.

• orca

bike, bike some more, then bike a bit more still....  image
    oh then do a bit of runningimage

• As Cat5 in the hat says....Ive got 10 weeks to go before I have to decide (should have read the book properly!!), think I'll just after that "wing it" and work between the 2 as time allows.

Certainly it for me is all about the bike...if I need to shave off a couple of hrs off my time, I can save a bit on the swim, and faff less on the run, that will save me a bit of time, but to get decent improvements I really need to be improving on the bike.

Having a quiet week training this week ready for next week, have a stomach problem i need to sort,man flu, and to cap it all, my Doctor has told me I have an under active thyroid which Im now on medication for (never rains but it pours), at least I have 31 weeks to get things sorted!!!
  • Bungleboy - don't fret over the under active thyroid, just take the tablets and enjoy it when your body is back to normal. I have that as just part of my health issues and it doesnot stop me, but it can be a nuisance having to pop a pill and wait half an hour before having anything to eat or have a cup of tea/coffee first thing in the morning.
  • Bungle lots of us have medical issues to deal with (I'm a Coeliac) but you get by one way or another, A IM is a daunting challenge and the training is far more dificult than the race itself. Without the bike is key, after all its 50% of the race. I didn't have any issues on the bike beyond my lower back starting to go into spasm which made the run a very painful affair, this year I won't forget the brufen on the run (I left them in transition... duh).

Well you lot are all talking about starting the 30 week Fink plan and I'm about 1/3 of the way through the local race season, three sprints and one Olympic raced so far this season. Managed a PB 2-24 at the Olympic last weekend, 3rd in theseriously old gits group. The first time I have ever managed to win a age group prize in a tri, but its the determination to be able to finish as far up a Tri race field as I do a running race that drives me on.

• Bodie wrote (see)
     Also does any have any good tips for some good long (safe ish) route round Hampshire ?

Bodie - I'm in Hampshire and know lots of routes. where are you? I'm between Winchester and Basingstoke.

Bungleboy - the other IM training gurus Gordo and Friel say that really, for your first few IMs you can do really well, and improve, on doing lots and lots of endurance-based training  and not worry so much about the higher heart rate stuff. that would suggest sticking with intermediate prog.  Am not saying you should do this - but it's another perspective.

• Artful Hen wrote (see)
    Bodie wrote (see)
    Also does any have any good tips for some good long (safe ish) route round Hampshire ?

Bodie - I'm in Hampshire and know lots of routes. where are you? I'm between Winchester and Basingstoke.

Bodie - im also in Hampshire, but in the south-west (Southsea) but do most my riding between chichester/petersfield/ winchester area

there is some great riding in Hampshire - i think we're very lucky with lots of quiet country roads, good quality road surfaces and a few nice hills to get the heart rate up

• Didn't know you were a Hampshire boy, Mr Z. Are you a speedy cyclist? If you are I'll just wave and say hello as you pass. But if 14/15 mph is any good for you at this time of year we could link up?  Or arrange to meet for coffee and cake somewhere half way between us in the Meon Valley or Old Winchester Hill or something - we can both ride out from our respective homes.

• that would be awesome AH - meon valley is lovely - perhaps we could go up Butser after ?image
  • M.r Zuvai and Artful Hen - I am Winchester based... I would def be up for some new year cycling (14/15mph is goo for me Hen !) I am getting my shiny new road bike on the ride to work scheme in Jan so would love to find some good long routes to try out near me... would also feel much safer if I could cycle in a group rather than on my own - still a bit of a nervous cyclist near cars !

Plus round me is perfect for getting the legs working as everywhere appears to be up a bloody hill ! image

looking forward to starting the plan on Monday - though still yet to splash the cash for Outlaw - fingers crossed there will still be places in Jan when the finances return to normal and I can buy myself a new years pressie image
  • Bungleboy wrote (see)
     Having a quiet week training this week ready for next week, have a stomach problem i need to sort,man flu, and to cap it all, my Doctor has told me I have an under active thyroid which Im now on medication for (never rains but it pours), at least I have 31 weeks to get things sorted!!!
    If it's any use I know of at least three pirate types who have the same issue with there thryoid. It's a factor but not the end of the world you can do it mate. The rest is just down to time. (((hug))  As above just take the tables keep carm and carry on. image
  • T-4 and counting.....but at least the first day is a rest.
  • Hello all... I'm glad to come across all you mental people here .. I'm planning to attempt my first IM distance next year .. probably Outlaw though am considering a IM branded event and was planning on using Fink to help get me there

On the outlaw schedule plan starts Monday .. any advice or tips from old IM / Outlaw hands?

p.s. i have not really done anything like this before - I did a couple of little tri's last year but have decided to go full on mental in 2012 image
  • HoneyMonster - there's already stacks of info on this thread.  Settle down with a cup of tea and read the lot to get you started. image

Bodie - well, if you're Winch-based there's no excuse not to meet up!  Will PM you.  What about running - are you a member of WADAC by any chance?

• if you want to enter the outlaw better do it soon...less than 200 places left.
    best advice i can give to people...especially newbies...is to start slow....be patient.....it all starts next monday for some.....you'll be sick of it by june....so stick to the base plan even if it seems too short a session.
  • onlt 200 places left ... well I guess I know what my Christmas pressie to myself will be !
  • Artful Hen - I did not know about WADAC..just had a look on line... I might give some group sessions ago - I've been to a couple of the Wessex Tri swim coach session which were really good and I was thinking of joining some of there masters session next year in place of some of the Fink swim plans

I am very slow though so might feel a little embarrassed with all the seasoned pro's....image

I have also turned on the PM thingy image

I've just read above that there are not many Outlaw places left so I better get my skates on if I want to enter this year... :/

if not can anyone recommend another IM distance tri post July ?!?
  • Bodie, IMUK is July 22nd!!!...they reckon last 200 places there as well but they dont publish the entries like outlaw do so cant confirm that....still a great race...otherwise IM Wales is september!!!
  • As discussed on here I have started a new thread for the DIY half IM we talked about

if any one is interested

• Challeneg Henley? Midnight Man?