RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Alan- molka- thanks ,that rules out my plan unless the start is rescheduled for 10.30 am.
  • Good luck to everyone running this year ..unfortunatley me or Mrs Warkie shall not be joining you ..image both of us have not been able to run recently as we have niggling injuries that do not seem to want to go away image

See you all at the Liverpool Half next year or VLM image

• Shame to hear that Warkie. Hope you recover soon enough.

Speaking of revovery.... first test run back tonight to see if my knee is any better. Been difficult to stop myself going out over the past week. Just hope there is no reaction.

• Would anyone who is familure with the area / course tell me if this sounds an achievable plan so my wife and son can get to see me during the race?

We are staying in a B&B in the area and plan to drive to Q-Park Sunday morning, all get the shuttle bus to the start, the when I'm getting ready for the off Wife and son will walk towards the park exit to wave at mile 1 before heading back to the shuttle bus pick up point.

They will get off at the Exchange St drop off, then depending on what time they get back will walk to either the 14/16 mile point or the 17/26 mile point to see me go past (I've worked out what time I should be at those miles so they can gauge which is best based on their 'getting off the bus time) then meet me at the finish.

It's reletively easy for me, once I'm at the start I can just follow the flow, but I'm a bit worried about the Mrs and little man feeling a bit lost in Liverpool!!

Thanks!!

• Liverpool is very easy to navigate. I don't think they'll have any trouble.
  • Tonight was good to get out and run. A 4 mile club run and the knee feels ok.

I still don't think it will be 100% come race day but it won't bad enough that it stop me from running.
  • Gramck 24. Good news, happy running, hope you have a good race!

Warkie ... Sorry to hear that you both can't make the day, hope your niggles get better soon
  • Hi Martin, my wife intends to grab a spot around the same 14/16 stretch, the idea being that this is going out of town and may be quieter.  The added bonus being I'll still look relatively OK (hopefully) and she and her mam and dad can then go and enjoy a couple of pints not having to worry that I looked terrible with 10 miles still to go.

• This tapering business plays all sorts of games with your body. Had the least energy past few days of the last two months. Anyone else get that? Looking forward to an 8 miler faster than mara pace tomorrow morning to reignite the flame a bit

• Thanks SHADOSC.  Always good to hear someone else has the same idea, stops you thinking you've come up with something bonkers that will never work.

So.... who else is thinking about running in flip-flops?!

• Wellies might be better image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    I saw someone run the Liverpool HM barefoot. Thought about treading on his toes to teach him a lesson but I couldn't catch him.

Liverbird- if this rain carries on I'm wearing a wet suit.

Why does tapering give me insomnia?
  • Ok, this is almost certainly my last question (Tapering gives me paranoia rather than insomnia, evidently!).

On my long runs I've generally taken a sports drink with me to sip every now and again.  I know there are water stations throughout the route and a couple of points where you can grab a cup of energy drink, but do you think I'm more likely to suffer cramp or something seeing as I've been used to topping up on energy drink full of electrolites?

Would 'energy drink loading' to supplement carb loading in the few days leading up to the 14th work?  I don't really want to have to carry a bottle in the race.

Yours,

Paranoid and overthinking everything, from Norfolk!

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    Today I shall be running in the beautiful Derbyshire countryside!
  • Martin, I've read that you can do something like an 'electrolyte-load' before the race, eating bananas (not too many) and other foods with potassium, and making sure there's the right amount of salt. Apparently if you make sure you're not deficient, there's little chance of running out of electrolytes during a marathon.

I thought my cramps in the last marathon (Edinburgh '11) were due to electrolyte depletion at the time, but upon reading, it's more likely that it's just generalised fatigue/ pace too fast for training base that causes that kind of thing.

Tapering makes me alternately tired and feeling much more energised. My 4 mile recovery run last night was in the dark & rain, and I was trying to find bits of grass to run on... the added concentration makes it seem harder that it would otherwise, I think. Oh, and I ended up staying up late with the Mrs last night to watch Mitt Romney do his croney-smile: that might have something to do with it....

Ah well, green tea w/ honey, off we go!

• Hi everyone not long to go now. Still getting the odd niggle in my lower back so today I am going to miss my run again then tomorrow is a rest day. So hopefully on Saturday I should be able to pick up a 6 mile run on the treadmill. Can't wait to start running again because I will feel better once I know my back has recovered but don't want to start to quick otherwise it will put me back again and I might miss the race
  • Wet and muddy 4 miler last night, felt good to just take it easy and enjoy it. Maybe do a 5 tonight or tomorrow morning & then 7 this weekend. 3 & 4's next week. Calfs a little tight but nothing to worry about I don't think.

Looking forward to carb loading in the latter part of next week now image

• Seven miles completed in the lashing rain last night with 5 miles @6:45 felt really good and can't wait until Sunday week. Going to take it nice and steady from here. My plan has a 2 mile run on Monday and Thursday, I'll be like a coiled spring on those!! 2 miles?!

• andy , what's your goal time for Liverpool?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Is there anyway I can get a shuttle bus ticket without coming into Liverpool before the race?Thanks.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

thanks Alan .I now have a plan

• OK, like many the tapering is killing me so I succumbed to a fast (for me) 5 miler tonight.  Just hope that I've not done anything stupid.  Nice and slow 10 miles on Saturday, a couple of easy 2/3s next week and that's me done.  I'm counting down the sleeps like a child waiting for Father Christmas.

• I did the same SHADOSC and immediately thought oooh ek hope I don't wake up tomorrow with any stupid niggle! This taper lark is harder than the training!
  • Just noticed someone on Twitter trying to sell their marathon entry. Tut tut! Naughty boy! We don't do entry transfers. As expected we have a had a high number of requests for deferrals, most citing that you are allowed to defer at London.

I think without exception it is not understood that you have to pay the entry fee again to retain your place. Deferral only secures your entry. I think people just think it is simply deferred and gets passed over for a year. No it doesn't.

We don't have a problem with capacity so there is no need to defer.  

• Seems some don't read the race t&c's Alan!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    2old wrote (see)
    I saw someone run the Liverpool HM barefoot.

I passed someone in Sefton Park, during the HM, who was running barefoot - or should I say, I went past someone sitting at the side of the road with massive burst blisters on their bare feet. Looked incredibly painful.

• Don't think they are running this year, feet still haven't recovered!

Thought I'd mention the 10K. Just under 1000 entries at the moment so should have around 800 taking part on the day. All adds to the excitement and atmosphere.

Hope the weather is kind to everyone doing Chester this weekend - and us next week.

• I have just looked on accuweather for next week and it seems to be good for the day, trouble is it keeps changing every day I look !!