Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• This will be my first Full marathon, really looking forward to it after recently getting back out there. Started planning my training schedule and have added gym sessions to help. A couple of questions, does it have different start areas for expected finish time ?  With it being my first full , is it silly of me to target a time or just hope to finish ? have done 3 halfs a few years a go pb 1:37 . any tips much apprciated

• yes they do just look for the time zone which you think you will finish
  • DB- Definitely set yourself a goal if you've already run a couple of halfs! I think that a recent half time would help you aim for a finish time- are you planning on doing any in the spring? The usual guide for calculating a target time is to double your half time plus 6-20 minutes. My time in Chester last year was double my September half time +9 mins
  • Then all you need to do is get the training inimage
  • Thanks guys, well i hadnt planned on doing a  half in the spring but seems a good way to keep me focused. My schedule will  have my long run of 13miles in May i guess so i will look around for a suitable local event.

Just a quick question if im allowed , my schedule will have my long run of 20 in early august. Should i just maintain long runs of 20 upto a couple of weeks before october 7or build up slower and just do one long 20 run before the marathon ?     any tips much appreciated .

• Daz - if you're up to 20 in early August - then I'd keep doing them but at a 2 or 3 week interval. If you can get 5 runs of 20 in, then you'll be much better prepared than by just having the 1 x 20 in.
  • Cougie- Thanks for the advice, would you run over 20 in a training run or just stick to 20 and hope the last 6 on the day fly by with the help of adrenalin lol
  • Daz- I'd pick a plan and try and stick with it. The Pfitzinger and Douglas Advanced Marathon book is very popular. Personally, I'd want to do around 5 runs of 20+ and one of 22 if not 24, but i know others will differ....

At the moment I'm training for a couple of ultras either side of VLM so endurance not an issue, but speed might be- lol!image

• Daz - dont forget that when you run your 20 milers - you've had weeks of decent training, and your legs are pretty much permanently tired.

On the big day - you've tapered and are on fresh legs - you cant get that as part of your training.

I'd stick with 20 milers to begin and maybe go to 22 if you're feeling good.

I'd be wary of overdoing it though - the recovery from long runs is significant.
  • Thanks for the great advice guys. I will do the Chester half in May as it fits nicely into schedule. Will look at Amazon for the book aswell, once again thanks everyone.
  • Hi there, thanks to all who have entered to date, plans in place for a number of improvements to make the marathon even better this year.  Many thanks to those of you who voted us 6th best marathon in the UK for last year, it was great to be rated ahead of all the other mass participation marathons including London, Brighton & Edinburgh.

Thanks also to those who have entered the Half marathon in May, this will be the first year that we have organised this long standing race.  For 2012 we have a fast new course with a city centre finish.  We already have a record number of entries and are sure that the race will be full by the end of March.  

Just a quick note to say that there will be a training run from Total Fitness in Chester at 9am this coming Sunday (4th).  We Will split into different groups based on speed from 7:30 pace to run walk.  Aim for all except the run walk group (which will be 50 mins) is for 8 miles as a gradual progression towards the half marathon in May then building for the full in October.  We usually get up to 50 coming along, all welcome for a friendly social run with a chat over coffee and flap jack at the cafe afterwards.  We meet up in the Cafe by reception. 

Any questions about the race or training runs just let me know & will get back to you. 

Full information on both races & on-line entry on the web site

Good Times image

Chris (Race Co-Organiser)

• Chris H 26.2 wrote (see)

Just a quick note to say that there will be a training run from Total Fitness in Chester at 9am this coming Sunday (4th). 

Some of us better be at Bolesworth or Sally will kill us image

• will be at the marathon and can not wait
  • Chris H 26.2 wrote (see)
    Hi there, thanks to all who have entered to date, plans in place for a number of improvements to make the marathon even better this year. 
    Improvements? Tell us more, Chris!image
  • wonder if any Africa Elite runners will run this did Torbay half last year and there where 2 Kenyas who where neck and neck from start till nearly the finish
  • Dave - Understand, good reason & am sure Sally will be glad of the help. 

Jason - Route will be the same but in our quest to be the best, we have some changes which came from the post race review and runner feedback.   In addition to the Water and Iso stations, there will be 4 gel stations.  We are also making changes to the finish at the racecourse so that all facilities (& ore of them) are close together and better signposted.  Police will controlling traffic lights to ease traffic queues near the racecourse before and after the race plus we will be marshalling the cars on exit from the racecourse car park to make leaving after the race faster. 

Compo - We have been approached by agents for some African fast runners, but all seem to want paying money for flights/accom/expenses etc.  Still in talks with a couple so lets see how things pan out.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    When does this usually fill up? Haven't entered yet...but probably will.
  • Hi 15West - Great to hear that you are probably going to be running with us, We guarantee that you won't regret it.  We were 80% full last year and had many great reviews, plus RW runners voted us the UK's 6th favourite marathon (beating all the other big city mass participation marathons including London & Brighton), so we are expecting more runners for this year's race image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Yeah - heard lots of good things about Chester marathon. Ran Liverpool last year which was my first - that also good - but want to try different one in the autumn.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

compo- you looking for someone to pace you?image

Chris- sounds great- not that it wasn't fantastic last yearimage

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I have someone called Colin wood known as woody on here but you are welcome
  • Fab. to see everyone at the training run this morning, great turnout (65 of us) & great running by all.  Was good to chat in cafe afterwards  & share training tips & hints.   Thanks to all who came along.

Next training run will be from Total Fitness Chester on Sunday 1st  April 9am.  Target will be 10 miles for most groups (7:30 to 11:00 min miling, 7 different paced groups).

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hi all - just wondering what tune up races do people do leading up to the Chester marathon? Pretty quiet for half marathons etc that time of year.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

15 West- last year I did the Chippenham Half before Chester. This year I'll do the same, or maybe Lake Vyrynwy-??

Chris- my entry is on it's way soonimage 

• Cheers Jason - will be good to see you again.

A quick note to anyone interested in running the Cheshire Oaks Chester Half on 13th May.  The half is nearly full, with only 500 places left, these will not last more than a week or so.  Please enter now if you want to join us for the half on 13th May.

Happy running all image

• I should be in for this again.   Chester was my first and chose this because of living the first 30 years of my life.   It was a fantastic experience.

Not sure if I will be doing it again as I am off to DC to do the Marine Corp marathon end off October.

• started jogging again this week after an abductor tear, missed Wilmslow so hoping to get around this half marathon
  • Hi, I really like the sound of this one but am still trying to get back on the road after a v frustrating injury which is dragging on. Don't want to enter until I'm fixed, but don't want to miss out either! Anyone know if this filled up last year?
  • It was not full last year, but after the favourable press the race received after last year's race (and rightly so) I think it will be very popular this year.
  • Cheer Ian, will hope to be in a position to enter soon