the fixed five-RW paris choice

Comments

• Ah balls - just read that bit Seren image
  • It's a shame so little thought seems to go into some of the final selections.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Seren - if it's mainland england that's you out too image
  • It seems to me that some of the people who are picked have put very ambitious times on their application, such that there is an element of setting both themselves and the RW coaches up to loose. I suppose it looks good to aim to knock 30 minutes of someone's marathon PB, but actually isn't it sometimes better to be realistic in the goals that are set?

I'm not going to enter, but I am going to attempt my first marathon in April. Now I've not set a specific time target - I want to finish faster than I could walk it, but that's hardly a catchy target. I suspect I'd be forced into picking a time target. Then there would be additional pressure and a sense of failure at having missed that when a first marathon should, surely, be about finishing.

And you can't expect 6 different individuals to all have a smooth training and race such that all targets are met.

I appreciate that it is an incentive to join the forums, but there are few of the previous super six threads still running, and most of the previous shortlisters seem to just vanish again. Interacting ought to be more than a "please vote for me" thread and then nothing. Not to say that they ought to only be taken from the ranks of the regular posters, but it can seem rather mercenary in some way.

• Sorry to pop up again, just wanted to say something about targets. We were very keen to make sure that the targets for the ASICS Target 26.2 aren't just about times. If you have a read of the article, you'll find this bit in the 'What we're looking for' info:

"In selecting the ASICS Target 26.2 team, we'll be paying as much attention to your motivation as your PBs: we want to know your marathon dream, whether that's nailing a new PB, achieving a Good for Age qualifying time or just completing your first ever marathon."

So Helen liz, you could tell us that your target is to finish your first marathon - and to run all the way. Someone else might want to go sub-3; or find a way to balance training with a busy life; or get a Good for Age time that'll qualify you for next year's London Marathon.

Thanks,

Alice, ASICS Target 26.2 Head Cheerleader

• Alice you dont need to appologise for 'popping up', the interraction is what has been lacking  image
  • Agreed, "popping up" is good.

I'm not too fussed about changing the voting system. I remember this year when people started to question a few of the choices Steve pointed out that they had been selected by the forum and indicated they were not who he would have chosen! (I'm absolutely not making a blanket statement about all six btw) I think RW think we've all been doing a pretty poor job and want to take some control back!  Having said tha, I agree with Moraghan's point about some of the shortlisting... If someone says they run ten miles a week and thinks they can break 3 hrs, don't take their application seriously! 

They need to retain some element of forum selection to try and encourage interaction. I'm not a triathlete so didn't follow the Fab Four or whatever they were called, but it looked like that never took off and they were sprung on people. 

"Getting stuck in" to the forum is a tricky area. I think a lot of people, especially if they're not ultra regulars on here or other forums, did feel like they were getting stuck on. Is it reasonable to expect multiple postings in a day? I agree information is necessary and I think if someone accepts the package they have to make a commitment to tell all online, but not everyone will have the same definition of what counts as regular updates. I'd consider myself a regular on Minni's thread but I only manage to post every couple of days. 

• Fair point Wobbled and Martin too

It would be difficult to define 'regular' without stipulating once a day or once an hour .. both of which are regular in context

RWs job is to bring foot fall in to the forum, I suspect they dont really care if that person doesnt stay for the after show party as they would have generated enough followers for the 16 weeks or so to satisfy the sponsors

I think we would all like to see a set of regulars chosen but they doesnt achieve the objective that RW have and which is why the Forum Six worked so well alongside it

;-)
  • Hmmmmm - good old RW.

Entries were supposed to open yesterday and in recent RW fashion, they haven't.  Do you think the Paris marathon has been postponed?

• image How far is the Paris marathon? Is it as far as the London marathon? image
  • I think its up on the Home Page?
  • It's not Meldy - it's the same as it was last week, including a link to the page to register receive notification that it's opened.  Clicking the link tells you that the competition has now closed.  I registered to receive a notification last week and have heard nowt.

It's going well ......

• Ok, maybe I'm being a little premature (now where have I heard that before?).  The page actually says that it opens during the week commencing 24th October.
  • Ahh ok, I just saw it in passing  and didnt investigate further   image
  • I hope part of the test isn't keen observational skills image
  • If I was remotely interested I may have taken notes  image
  • You just have to remember to vote.  And I'll remind you of that image
  • Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)

Hmmmmm - good old RW.

Entries were supposed to open yesterday and in recent RW fashion, they haven't.  Do you think the Paris marathon has been postponed?

Do they all get speshul RW t-shirts too?   And if so can Paris 2012 be put back to November 2013?

• Hi chaps/BDB,

Yes it is this week rather than Monday that applications are due to open. It relates to when the December issue of the mag goes out to subscribers which is why it was a bit vague.

Rest assured we will update the launch page and plaster it merrily all over the homepage when we do open the applications!

I will also take this opportunity to say: you can only submit the online application form ONCE. So get it right! image

Alice

ps - Hash, touche re the t-shirts. Please believe me when I say that we're (still) chasing our partner on this one.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Wobbled wrote (see)

I'd consider myself a regular on Minni's thread but I only manage to post every couple of days. 

I seem to remember a coach telling one of this year's SSX to spend less time positng and more time running!  image image

• Thanks for the update Alice. Looking forward to it.

Vote BDB. A vote for a single childless man is a vote for good family values.
  • Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)
    Thanks for the update Alice. Looking forward to it. Vote BDB. A vote for a single childless man is a vote for good family values.

convinced me - will you run for office after this election?

• <!--StartFragment-->

Morning all!

(it's still just about morning...)

We are now OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS to be part of ASICS Target 26.2.

You can find the application form here and all the info you'll need is here.

Any queries please let me know via the forum, message or email.

And good luck!

Alice

<!--EndFragment-->
  • Thanks Alice image

any forumites entering should let us know ala BDB then we can throw our votes behind them

• Hi Mr Zuvai,

Whether you said that in jest or not, it's a great idea - each year we get so many applications and as other members of the team might not know all the forumites by 'name' it'd be awesome if people did want to pop their name on a list here. That way we can look out for you in the huge stack of forms!

Alice
  • Oooh a list for people that don't know me! Whats it for Alice ???
  • Oh look as usual nothing working properly ..... How about getting someone who has done an IT course to fix it?
  • Hi,

The link should work now - please let us know if it's still not linking through to the form properly.

Thanks,

Alice