Christmas Hampers..

2»

Comments

• Wilkie wrote (see)
    In my experience Baileys doesn't hang around long enough to go off image

It does in my house. MiL got it into he head that I like it (which I do, but not that often). and bought me a Litre bottle for christmas every year for ~ 5 years. I threw 4 bottles out when we moved - all beyond their BB date. I did open them to check and they were definately past their best image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I'll send you my address, HL image  And the postage image

It's a bit of a guilty pleasure - it seems wrong to like it, but I do.

• Alcohol has never had an opportunity to go out of date in our house!

I'm thinking of adding peanut brittle to the hampers and I saw a really good idea for making lollipops for the kids....make rice krispie squares and cut out shapes (small stars or hearts etc) insert lolli stick and coat the shapes in melted chocolate, let cool and then package.
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

I'll send you my address, HL image  And the postage image

It's a bit of a guilty pleasure - it seems wrong to like it, but I do.

I'll send you my address, postage and I'll raise Wilkie a mint-condition, unopened, highly sought after toffee apple (I couldn't think of anything but there's a toffee apple in my line of sight...) image

gfb - what are you using for containing everything? Do you have actual hampers?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Almond brittle is very good too image

I'm in the mood for making stuff now!

Damn you, Bookworm!  I'll top your toffee apple with home-made picalilli!

Actually, maybe....... image

• We're going to cover regular cardboard boxes with christmas wrapping paper and then cover it all in with cellophane tied up with ribbon (or raffia) Bookie
  • Would anyone on this thread like to adopt me?
  • Rum truffles made with melted Mars bars and a splash (large) of rum and covered in chocolate hundreds and thousands always went down a storm with my Dad at Christmas.
  • My shopping trolley is going to look interesting tonight! 2 big litre bottles of gin and a butt load of sugar!
  • Lol, GFB.  I had to laugh at the look on the cashiers face when I bought the ingredients for my 4 tier chocolate wedding cake.  Something like 5kg of chocolate, 6 packs of butter, 2kg of ground almonds and a loaf of bread.  I also ahd a couple of normal things I needed anyway, so she must have wondered what I was going to do with the broccoli!
  • GFB - make sure it's 40% gin or there's a chance it won't work properly and the sloes will ferment rather than be preserved.

We took the wild cherries out of our cherry brandy yesterday. Gosh, they're nice. I'm thinking of using some for chocolates and the rest into a fruity triffle, as suggested by someone on here. I'll have to freeze them tho, I think, as I can't see me eating a triffle before now and Chrisstmas.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    gingerfurball wrote (see)
    I saw a really good idea for making lollipops for the kids....make rice krispie squares and cut out shapes (small stars or hearts etc) insert lolli stick and coat the shapes in melted chocolate, let cool and then package.
    Ooooh, I can think of someone small in my household who would love those..................
  • In the past I've made hampers on a theme, eg:

Chinese
    Chopsticks
    Small rice bowls
    Dried Chinese mushrooms
    Soya sauce
    Rice wine
    Peanut oil
    Recipes written on small pieces of paper then rolled up
    Etc

Indian
    Whole & ground spices
    Asafoetida
    Ghee
    Lentils
    Recipes as above
    Etc

I've done the same for Spanish, Mexican and Thai.

• Treacle toffee, parkin, lavender bags always go down well with my family. Oh, and elderberry and Apple jelly
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Try and keep scented things like lavender bags away from foodie things. I've had some bad experiences with smells permeating edible goodies and making them not quite so edible image
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

How about some stollen? I've made mini stollen (two-bite sized) before, and they went down really well. I love homemade truffles as well - if you make up a batch of a truffle mix, you can split it into different batches and add all sorts of flavours. Baileys is one of my favourites (has anyone tried the new biscotti flavour?), but rum, whisky, tia maria, cointreau and other alcohols are good. So are spices like cardamon, cinnamon, ginger and chili.

Another idea - spiced nuts. Coat some mixed nuts in melted butter (a couple of tablespoons is usually enough), then roast until toasted (20-30 mins, stirring occasionally). Sprinkle over a mix of spices/herbs of your choice and stir to coat. Garlic salt is nice, so is cayenne pepper, smoked paprika... you can be as imaginative as you like really. You can also add soy sauce, Worcester sauce, Henderson's relish, etc. at the same stage as mixing the butter with the nuts for extra flavour. Once the nuts have cooled, put them in a nice jar and you've got a lovely savoury snack. image

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Not that I have a vested interest in this or anything but just tell them you've made a donation to charity on their behalf. And do it, of course. Saves all the shopping, wrapping etc and everyone can share the 'feel good' factor. In fact, go one step further and volunteer somewhere over Christmas (it's a great way of avoiding the relatives).
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

That would be one to do to someone you don't like, but feel you HAVE to get a present for!

I'm having a jolly time imagining the look on some people's faces image

• Womble wrote (see)
    Not that I have a vested interest in this or anything but just tell them you've made a donation to charity on their behalf. And do it, of course. Saves all the shopping, wrapping etc and everyone can share the 'feel good' factor. In fact, go one step further and volunteer somewhere over Christmas (it's a great way of avoiding the relatives).
    We do that in our family as a matter of course. My fathers wife family started it as they are devout catholic and couldn't see the point in buying each other presents. (They use Cathaid or somemething).
  • CAFOD

We did something via Oxfam for my parents last year.  I did think about it for the MiL the next year as she is a stalwart member of the CofE but OH didn't think  she'd like it image

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Oh ok, here's my link.