100 Marathon Club

2»

Comments

• It is certainly possible to do a fair number of marathons in a year, logistics, cost and fitness always a factor. You'd be surprised at how quick some of these guys are running marathons week in week out, the 100MC won the team event at the Dartmoor Discovery Ultra for example last year...

Excuse the self publicity but there is a vaguely interesting interview with a very ordinary chap who did over 100 in a year... http://www.golftoday.co.uk/news/yeartodate/2012_news/traviss_willcox_marathon_records.html here.

T

• Well done Traviss. Very impressive.

I hope you enjoyed the cake the other week! image

• Took me 16 years - 2 in the first year and 17 in the last - you get kind of addicted! But it gets worse.... starting a run fro John O'Groats to Land's End (30 miles a day for 29 days) on April 23rd - in aid of The Cure Parkinsons Trust..... www.offexploring.com/jogler if you would like to follow our progress!!! (or www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/thejoglebrothers if you would like to donate!!!) - Great thread - happy running!
  • Completed No 32 yesterday at The Three Shires Marathon.

Tackled the 27mile route as a walker (gawd knows how on earth people run it) and it took over 10hrs 25mins.

Extremely tough, the last '7 miles' was more like 9 !!

But that makes 4 Walking Marathon in 4 Weeks, and 6 Marathons for the year, which I'm happy with.

Only another 29 or so to go........

Oh, and if anyone wants to sponsor me it's

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/2012-Challenge

• I saw a book in Waterstones today called Running Crazy which is about the 100 marathon club. Has anyone read it? Is it any good?
  • That's something I would like a look at. It will feature some familiar names certainly.

At this current time I have run 63. I know this as they are in my running logs, but currently not running any as I'm a bit fed up of them, and tbh 100 isn't a goal as there are lots of other sorts of events I like to do.

And which don't sod my legs up as much image
  • Dark Vader wrote (see)

...  Prior to that, my last 5 runs totalled to about 350 miles...  I did work it out once, but have lost the actual figure but that is a reasonable guess.

I have only just noticed this. Five runs totalling 350 miles!

It's amazing that someone can post this and it goes without comment, but maybe everyone was just left speechless!

Over what period of time was that? And what event are you training for?

• Do the marathons in IM races count do you think ?
  • Kryten, I've read this book and it is is a really interesting quick read. Some of the stories are very inspiring.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Though I found it very funny that the author (who coaches shorter distances) starts out very dubious about this running lots of marathons lark. Then she interviews a lot of 100 marathon club peeps (interesting, whether or not you've met them) and... remains very dubious about this running lots of marathons lark!

• well i'm still a baby and have just completed number 6 but Traviss is the man,

He does 100milers I am in awe of him

I have met quite a few of the 100 marathon clubbers even celebrated a couple of people's 100th marathon and have to say on the whole they are a great crowd, what I love about them is the last time I got my PB at one of the enigma events ( which is where u will find a wealth of 100 marathon clubbers ) is that alot of them took the time to come over and congratulate me on doing a PB even tho it was 4hours 55 so no fast marathon but you know they made me feel like i had some something so special and were so pleased for me 

hopefully one day I will get there but think it will take me a good number of years to get there lol but hey ho, only 94 to go haha

• But my burning question is - how do you know how many marathons you can do in a year safely, without injury, without actually doing more than this amount, and then getting injured?

What I mean is, how do you know what your limit is before you've over-stepped it, and wished you hadn't?

• In a sort of reverse, I'm on 94     image

• Well done, TH - but how did you know how much your legs could handle? Did you just keep entering races and managing to pull them off (the races, that is, not your legs image) and so entered more and more, closer together?

• Just entered them and got on with it.  Only ever had one injury as a result of overworn shoes in the heel.  If I needed to adapt my running in a marathon I did so, ie the pace.  Some runs are a breeze to be honest and in others they have been pretty demanding.  Where there have been difficulties it has nearly always been a result of a poor strategy on my part.  I don't think there is a science to it, let your body do the talking and react to it.

• Cougie, yeah Ironman events count! 

I started off in 2000 when I did my 1st, then it was 1 a year, then 2 a year, then 3 then thought why am I killing myself running all these boring 20 milers when I could get a medal? It's taken me till now to get to 95 but still the odd PB pops up even doing 10/15 a year. Hopefully 100 next year at Taunton but I'm itching to get on with it now. 

Theres many guys who can run 50/100 a year which really is increadable but finance and arthitic toe joints don't allow me to, so I just aim for 1-2 a month but I race every one like its my first, if there's a number stuck to me I can't help myself. this saves me training for onethen I can mix up my training with cycling and swimming = ironman. That's a hard way to clock up 1 marathon tho. image 

Traviss, he is a crazy man!!! Runs more 100m races than I run marathons! image (yes I'm jealous) image

also theres a chap Rik Vercoe who just ran 34 marathons (some Ultra) then on day 35 pb'd with his first sub 3 (2.56) there really are some increadable people about. Chat to some, ask, there really are some inspirational people running amongst us. 

• and a few headcases!image

• Sounds doable with the right head on. Did two last year, have done two so far this year, plus Outlaw and Portsmouth planned for Dec, so maybe I could ... 

I like the idea of racing each one, rather than just churning them out - I guess there's always a need for balance - I wouldn't want to lose the pleasure of it ... But the kudos of the T shirt ... Beats my 50 Parkruns hands down!

• I'm up to 94 half-marathons - could I have half the t-shirt? image

• As of last Sunday, I became a 100 marathon club member. 

It is certainly not easy, or cheap!, but well worthwhile.

One hard lesson I have learned is that you can run 20+ marathons a year, but you can't race them, or at least I can't.

• Well done, TH - but how did you know how much your legs could handle? Did you just keep entering races and managing to pull them off (the races, that is, not your legs image) and so entered more and more, closer together?

• Great job, Ian! Feeling inspired, now! image

• When I damaged my heel I was told to rest 4 monthsish and I did.  Usually do 10-12 a year, peaked at 13, less when I first started in 2003.  I think you were correctin that I just managed to pull them off. My last marathon saw me beat my previous pb which I set over six years ago (3.25.33).  I still see the potential to beat that on the right run next year - Manchester, York, Killarney?  Two more this year just to push up to 96 and then a better training schedule up to April.

• It took me just over five years to reach  100 marathons.  I started off by trying to do 12 in 12 months then just caught the bug.   Think  I'm on about 115 now  which includes  a fair few ultras..   

• Interesting to come back and read this now, as I'd just done 6 when I last posted, now I'm up to 22

I've been running one every 2 weeks and your legs do get used to it, pb's do go out the window but I just love running marathons and meeting folks, kept costs down by sharing accommodation, staying with friends and in the warmer months camping
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Isee)

I've been running one every 2 weeks and your legs do get used to it, pb's do go out the window but I just love running marathons and meeting folks, kept costs down by sharing accommodation, staying with friends and in the warmer months camping

I dont agree to that... Since i've started running more marathons- my times have actually come down. I think it's due to weight loss as well as increasing my training mileage.

You're right though - your legs get used to it and it's half the fun of running the marathon is the weekend around it! image