sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    received wisdom is that treadmills should be set to a 1% incline to give speed equivalence vs. road. Some people don't like the incline, reckon it puts strain on achilles or calf, so run a bit faster. See attached for equivalence: http://www.tanser.org/treadmill.htm.
  • Still lurking here.

Did a 15 mile run today - including first 6 odd miles of marathon course. Silly to do that as all the kerbs can't be good for the knees - nostalgic to see the spot where I fell at 3 miles in last year's FLM!

Aiming for 8:45-9:00/mile and averaged 9:00.

Had a lurk in the 3:45 thread, but 8:30/mile for FLM seems a bit brisk for me. I feel that I'm sort of halfway between these times (1:42 in Watford 1/2M last month). Perhaps I should start a 3hr 52min 30sec thread?

Anyone doing Silverstone on Sunday?
  • Hi Valuxian

I like the idea of running a bit of the course on a training run... How bad is it for running? Anyone tried running the last 4 or so miles (from Tower Bridge) or the bit in Docklands - I can imagine it being quite a psychological boost to have seen it all before!

Also you're not alone on the virtual 3:52.30 thread... although at 1:42 for Watford you might be closer to the the 3:48.45 ;-)
  • Hi everyone

Still feeling very fatigued so an inforced rest day!!! been and had my massage to sort my legs out they feel like new!! the general thinking is I don't eat enough!!!!!Somehow I disagree with that thinking!!!

keep up the good training wonder where Welsh Alex has got to??
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Can I jump on?? My confidence has dropped recently with shins and calves and with it my motivation. This thread should help mind.
    And this is a new week!
    Does anyone know what at 9.00 min mile pace is in kms / hour... off the top of their head - treadmill thinking...?
  • Greetings..

Not sure if I am in the right place? My current training times are 1/2M 1:54:24 floating around the 8:40/8:45 mile mark.

Am I in with a chance of getting under the sub 4 for the full distance? Managed a stead 16 this weekend and increasing my mileage, heading down to silverstone this sunday to comfirm that I am a sub 2 for the 1/2...

Any advice greatly appreciated..
  • welsh alex?hmmmm look you land of my fathers boyo.

BNTM beware running the course too much.my office is at mile 23 so i thought i'd do a fair bit last year.the trouble is that i could visualise exactly how far i had to go from about mile 14 onwards and it was counter productive...took some of the fun out of the huge crowd on the embankment....
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    cariad: 9min/mile = 6.667 mph = 10.73kph.

Relaxed today with a very slow 5 miles at heart rate of LT-40 (53%WHR). Right calf felt a bit stiff this morning after yesterday's HM but now feels better.

• Alex you misunderstood, there is another Alex on site who has not posted for a few weeks and HE is from Wales!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP sorry that was a "joke"-i had read back a bit on the thread-though i did skip a bit.
    ok,poor taste,politically incorrect etc-its not unusual...
  • Thank you very much nrg-b.
    You just made me smile. 10.73. Good.
  • Another question.. Whats the most accurate but not ridiculously expensive gadget for measuring distance. Last year I took to cutting a bit of string to the length of a scaled mile in my A-Z and wiggled it over my routes!!
    Don't laugh too hard.... I got my sub 4.30 - just!
    Any suggestions?
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Cariad: You're welcome. The most inexpensive way is to use the online Java applet tool at www.rac.co.uk Type in a start and ending postcode. Use the ruler to map out road lengths. Use the arrow keys to pan the map.

Alternatively, buy a Garmin Forerunner 201 a portable GPS device for around £145. They are brilliant!
  • That's better!! - up at dawn for about 10K
    in a local park. Loverly crisp, cold,
    small breeze, sun raising over the
    hill etc. Managed a pb for 8 laps of 49.07
    including three laps at sub 6.00 and a
    new lap pb of 5.50.

Puts sunday back into 'just one of those
    days' category.

I do run all of the marathon course during
    training . . . do all of it apart from a
    but of the docklands loop . . . I do think
    it gives a small advantage to know that
    there is a 'ramp after the roundabout' or
    'hang to the left at this point!'. (But
    my mate is superstitious and won't run
    any of it!)

cariad - try http://www.map24.co.uk

• cariad
    - Percy Cheeser put me onto the Java mapping software at www.map24.co.uk (which I think is the same as the rac site)
    - or you can spend 100 quid on a Timex (or other) GPS watch on ebay - I've got one of these and I've used it a bit running - but the best thing to do with it is to take it skiing - it turns even the most boring green run into a death defying speed challenge ;-)
    - or you can get pedometers for about a tenner (but results and opinions vary)
  • English Alex - I've just noticed that your lunchtime route yesterday involved the Regents Park canal - I'm very intrigued - where does this canal go and how far can you follow it for? I'm hoping this might give me a new route away from the endless laps of Regents Park that I seem to have been stuck in at lunchtimes recently!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Just popped in to check all your sched's going well, you are all looking goooooood! Hope feeling fiiiiine!
    Am off to 'try' thanet 20 sunday. It will be like a marathon but if I get round I will re evaluate. Cycling more than running at the moment though, with about 50 miles put in last week. Shame i can't cycle FLM....
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Alex P

I thought maybe it was a joke or maybe you just don't like us Welsh:-)
    WP decides not to kill Alex...yet!! good job I am made of tough stuff;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Wouldn't it make for great comedy if Welsh Poppy was actually from somewhere like Croydon?

Wabo, it sounds like you're already enjoying the build up to the FLM far too much!
  • BNTM
    Oh my secret is out how did you know I was from Croyden?Of course I don't have a Welsh accent at all:-)

So on Welsh Poppy's hit list:
    Percy
    Alex P

Evil chuck......Thinking up some Evil plans
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Me thinks, Welsh Poppy from Peckham would be good.

We shouls show some respect for our famous WP as she is in RW this month.

CA

• Crazy Addick

I really like the show WP respect part, but surely you are joking about RW ...Poppy goes and hides under her duvet a quivering wreck!!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • No no, you are there. do'nt have it with me but I think it's in the results section.

CA

• Welcome to Poppy's hit list Alex P....I'm quaking in my Kayano's me ;-)

Lovely day for lovely intervals at Battersea Park track....just lovely...so nice to run in the sun again.....shame I'm not in west Wales....:-)
  • definitely on for low impact today,i think its the elliptical x trainer for me.somehow i have to shift a stone so i can run without crushing my joints....
    bntm-i go up the canal from the limehouse basin end towards victoria park and on towards city road.i haven't tried it from your end...towpath tends to be in good repair,flat-though up/down around the locks obviously-and not all concrete so (a tiny bit) more leg friendly than pavement.and i like running by water,no traffic/roads to cross etc.i would suggest that by daylight its pretty safe too,though not sure i'd want to run after dark.

have a look on streetmap.co.uk or mapquest.co.uk for access points-usually you can get on/off the towpath at a bridge.there's probably a bit of stuff on the british waterways website too.
  • and WP i quake before your wrath.
    see you on sunday for light banter and celebration of another english victory over the celtic fringe ...
  • Thanks for the link, Alex - I'm in Dublin for the next day and a bit (could this be my last taste of the black stuff until April 18th?) then I'm running Reading (if I see lots of blood on the road then I'll know I'm behind you and WP) but I'll definitely try a mildly long run along the canal towpath some time next week.
  • BNTM see at the forum meeting place pre reading-i won't see you on the course as i am going for a slower trot to get my mileage up.likely 2.10 or so and chatty.though i'm not sure i'll recognise you from your pic...
  • BNTM...giving up the booze already? hmmm...might have to re-think this marathon thingie.
    anyone running silverstone this weekend. I tried to do a few laps of central park last weekend (same distance of RP...just a bit harder to get to) but could only manage 10 miles until my knee flared up. stopped right away and after ice it went away...nothing since but i am worried about this run sunday.
    anyone done it? is it easy to drop out if an injury threatens? looks like couple laps...
    JPVD.