sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    BTW, I can't recommend the GF201 enough. A truly amazing device.
  • NRG_-B

No travelling down early Sunday morning....Ah so you have met Percy:-)

Hopefully if we post numbers can look out for each other on the Sunday, so if a mad woman rushes up to say hi you know who it is;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • hey guys.
    have officially dropped out of the sub-4 pace group.
    i had to be really hard on myself and accept that i was pushing myself too hard. the ol knees can't take it!
    i'll be lurking on the thread though...
    silverstone here i come, with a guiness after, natch.
    JPVD.
    p.s. BNTM, next weekend my lsd will be in beautiful venice, along the lido...ah, i love london and the ease of travel it affords...
  • JPVD

So sorry to hear you are dropping from our band of merry runners please keep in touch

Welcome to Cariad and of course you may join the Welsh team;-)

Back from a 5 mile very easy pace run that will be my last run before Reading...will be glad to get back to proper training next week;-)

Good luck with training and races this weekend
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    8.25 miles completed. Target now locked on Reading.

WP: My race no. is 8103. Have you set yours on the Reading HM thread?

JPVD: Sorry, mate. Is there any chance your knee will improve? Good luck!
  • mine is 1489 i think-could be 1498.will be wearing a urwfrc vest with alex p on it.and running with seaweed in 10 min miling at least initially,i'm running home tonight,8 1/2 miles so after reading i will have bagged 39 miles or so this week...almost like serious runners do.
  • and i will be aiming to rendezvous with george,seaweed and ob from the new york thread at about 8.30 at the kiddies playground by the leisure centre,which is apparently the forum meeting place.see you there .
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Alex: Ahh, the forum meeting place - of course. If you know, please can you tell me how far is the race start from there? Will watch out for you guys.

You'll recognize me by my trainers - I'll be the one wearing a pair of white New Balance 150 racing flats with red highlights.
  • nrg-b if you have your reading booklet .the playground is to the left of the enterance to south reading leisure centre,right by the start .see you all there.
  • Some serious miles Alex P-are you taking it all a tad serious;-) some of us pound out 53 miles plus per week!!!!

I intend to remain a woman of mystery and hide till start of race:-)

Look out for a yellow flower;-)

Made note of your numbers:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hi All

I'm terribly terribly sad:
    1. I went to Dublin and didn't drink any guinness at all!
    2. We have lost one of our number - farewell JPVD!
    3. It seems war has broken out between the normal folk and those funny little chaps from the other side of the Severn [why can't we just celebrate our glorious successes together - like the wonderful England and Wales cricket team?]
    4. We seem to have forgotten our manners -we have a new thread member and no-one's even said hello...
    5. Flying to/from Dublin I seem to have caught a stinking cold from all that dodgy recycled air... it won't be enough to stop me on Sunday, but it may add a little extra fuel to the race-the-welsh event

ah...choo

BNTM
  • Hello Julian!

I reckon from your tales of Richmond Park you are just about on schedule for a 4 hour time.

I know of at least one person who (I reckon) is up to sub-4 hour form who ran in the 10 minute mile group.

The most important thing though (I reckon) is to make sure you finish your first marathon and really enjoy it - the smile on the finishing line photo is very very important!
  • Thank you for the welcome WP... you have made me feel a lot less like a gatecrasher to a kayano / car key swapping cult! ;)

You will be please to know that I will not be able to affect the welsh team points this Sun as I will be on the car race track.

Re; GPS thingie... with my HRM on my left wrist, GPS on my right and an ipod pulling down my tights on my bum - I was thinking I might be able balance out the perfect gait?!
  • sorry,bntm,quite right.welcome julian.and JPVD if you are lurking i wouldn't feel too imposterish.i will be struggling to get to sub 4 but that won't stop me joining in here....
  • and wp last year i averaged 18 miles/week....and still beat george...
  • Of course, welcome Julian and cariad. Cariad means "darling" in Welsh doesn't it?

Julian - are you on a sub4 training plan? Running seriously since August you should be well on course, so keep up the weekly mileage and most importantly the long runs and you should be fine.

JPVD - sympathies matey. Best of luck for the big day, take it easy and enjoy.

BNTM - Unlucky on the cold, but if you will fly off to exotic Celtic climes....

Hope you all fly in Reading and look forward to reading about all the glory.
  • Welcome Julian sorry to miss your post!

Alex P...you must be very fit...I can see where I am going wrong with my training I am over training;-) seems to work for me though1

BNTM-Ah hope cold clears up soon and you are on form for Sunday!-what is your race number?

Cariad
    Seems there are some strange rituals going on else were in the world!

Percy- showing off your Welsh knowledge (you are right)trying to get in my good books;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Percy -you smooth talker;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Good afternoon everyone, hello to all new comers and welcome.

The way things are going this thread will become the Welsh sub 4hrs as there seems to be a lack of us real English peeps left.

JPVD sorry to hear your news, but keep us informed of your progress.

No long run this weekend but will still manage 40 miles this week so not to unhappy.

Will have a easy week next week to getting ready for Hastings.

Good luck to everyone running Reading and Silverstone.

CA
  • Hi all - can I join you?

I am hoping to run London in 4hrs (or just under!). My current PB's are 46.55 for a 10K and 1.51 for a half marathon. I am planning to run 17 miles tomorrow which will be my longest run so far. Following the Runners World sub 4hrs schedule.
  • Welcome RR2, your PB's look spot on.

Good luck tomorrow. Any warm up races planned?. Quite a few here are doing Reading Half on Sunday and others (like me) are doing Hastings half and Kingston 16.
  • Well, (hill ridden 4 miles later) that was a bit better. Not quite so sluggish and my HR has gone back down to near where it belongs. Inner bit of calves still really sore though. WHHYYYY???!!!

Am making a very personal interpretation of RW schedule now. I reckon if I don't, will be crutches for FLM.

Percy - very clever. Mum tends to translate it into 'my lovely' though.

WP - yes.. very strange world. I'm keeping my shoes on though and I don't drive.
  • Sore calves are normal cariad.

Personally, my most sore/aching muscles are the ones sort of at the bottom of the stomach area. Usually ok after a day off, but hell when getting out of bed or from a chair. I find myself learning new techniques to get up that are easier on them, but sometimes forget!...ouch.

Doing all sorts of stretching does help though esp. hamstrings. I tend to go for 3 sets of 30 seconds.
  • Welcome RR-you sound right on schedule with your times.

Good morning my fellow FLM runners how are we all today in fine fettle?

Good luck to all doing long runs this weekend keep up the good work and best of luck to ALL racers

CA
    That is good mileage especially as no long run, can I ask why no long run??

Tapering for me (I HATE TAPERING) rather be training....

Percy-My little silver tongued friend;-)I shall be eating pasta today but no cheese!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Cariad- Percy is right I have noticed that my calves ache a lot, but only in last 2 weeks and really need them massaged every week not every 2 weeks...I stretch every day 90sec on each muscle quads,hamstrings etc.

I just think as training increases as it will be doing this month(the marathon is NEXT MONTH) we are getting more niggles but if we sort them out will not cause us all to much problems.

In the last 3 months my calves have grown!!!!!! if they grow any more I won't be able to wear trousers!!!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hi All

RR2, welcome on board! Please excuse all the fighting you'll find here - it's mainly just taper madness kicking in (I hope)...

For all the Reading runners, my number tomorrow is 626 - I'll pin in to my back so that the Welsh contingent will get a chance to see it as I run away from them.

I'm not too keen on this bit before the race either - but it's fairly easy today as I'm all bunged up with cold so can't train anyway. One solution for pre-race frustration seems to be shopping - so I'm off to the sweatshop this afternoon to choose my marathon shoes. I'm tempted by the Nike Moto ones (I've tried them for a few runs and they seem quite comfortable for me) but I reckon I'll go for another pair of Reebok Premier's as my current pair have served me so well (why take any risk?). It'll definitely be nice to have 2 pairs of shoes on the go - it'll mean I can leave one pair at work and one at home.

Good luck to all at Silverstone, at Reading and also to those just out there working up the miles.

BNTM
  • I don't believe it -http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3190 - is forecasting HAIL for Reading tomorrow... how refreshing!
  • Hello all, just finished longest run ever!
    30km (18.6 miles) in 3:01:44!
    Very long but went OK. Ran from Chiswick (London W4) along the Grand Union Canal, direction Birmingham and at halfway of planned distance just turned back.
    Really nice route actually, no cars to contend with, few people and a very good path. No mud to wade through like some of the other riverside paths around.
    Felt fairly good but could feel legs starting to ask what the hell was going on 3 km (2 miles) before home. Mmm, they're going to have to get used to a lot more.

I need some advise about water and food.
    I dropped off some water last night in the bushes at the 50 min mark (about 8.5km). Drank 300ml from then on and then 500ml from when passing the same spot on the way back. I don't think this was enough though.
    I had 3 Power Gels which are great, so convenient to carry and use, at 45 min, 1:50 and at 2:30.

How should I be spacing the Gels and water during the marathon?
    Do I drink as much water as I can?
    How many gels should I have during the FLM and when?

I'm also away for the next three weekends which doesn't help with the training. A week of that is skiing so hopefully the legs and heart will get a little bit for a workout.

Can't believe it's come this far. I was thinking this morning of the 5km runs in Hyde Park in August for my first race, the Nike 10km, which were very hard and that was only 30 mins!

This forum's great for encouragement, I have done all my training alone so it's great to catch up and be motivated by what others are doing.

Keep up the great work, good luck for anyone else training or racing this weekend.
  • Hi Julian

well done on the long run . . . I have no
    idea about gels! But I have started rehersing
    lucosade sport organge flavour - available
    every 5 miles.

As to water on the day - I do not think the answer
    is to drink as much as you can - but to make
    sure that you stay nicely hydrated.

I done 21 miles today in 3 hours - partly
    along the regents canal in east london &
    only took on about half a litre of water
    (probably not enough).