Ipad

2»

Comments

• Thank you Timeout.

I'm going to wait.

• Here's another site for you Mouse Tech Radar Ipad3 There's a few articles about what to expect, rumours etc

• Sorry guys, forum emails not getting to me.
    Yes mouse, lots of rumours of iPad 3 with hi res screen. March looking pretty good. iPad 2 is still great device if you can get a good deal.

intermanuat , I've tried 3-4 laptops, and on both iPad 1 & 2. USB ports do not charge iPads fast, and definitely when screen is on... You'll get a warning about "iPad not charging" or similar... Takes ages, though 20 hours probably OTT.
    Traditional pc base unit may do the 2watts needed but everything else slow. Charger is way better.
    Well known problem, see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2782533?start=0&tstart=0

Can't see the problem with google maps. The app has street view, looks lovely. And adobe has cancelled future work on flash for mobile devices so it's dead. image

Big loss here and gain for android is the sat nav in maps... Use this loads.
  • I won a tablet and so chose the Samsung 8.9   It's a great size. I can't play with it tonight but I'm a happy ninja image 

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I have a question for those with tablets (not just iPad). Do any of you tether yours to your phone?  I've been doing some research and I think I may have had the wrong idea.  Notwithstanding connecting it via wireless to a router, I thought that if you were out and about you'd need it to have a sim card and use 3G (or 4G with the new one).  However, it has come to my attention today that you can make your mobile handset a hotspot and access the internet via your phone.  I don't use the 1GB of internet access I get with my mobile so to share it with my iPad for the times when I am away from wireless networks would be perfect and save me having to pay for another service. 

When I spoke to Orange directly some weeks ago, they said I couldn't do this, today I spoke to a man in the shop and he said I can.

Am I missing anything?  What thoughts/comments do the techy folks have please?

• Yes you can do it. Depends on whether your provider detects and charges for this, or already part of contract.
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

So I need to check this with said provider?

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

And another question -

do people do this?

or do they prefer the device to have it's own sim?

Why?

etc!

I have bought a 4G one with a view to buying a pay as you go sim but I'm not sure I needed to spend the extra money and the sellers have agreed to an exchange if I am disatisfied.  I'm trying to decide whether to take it back or not.

• I use my iphone as a hotspot ( I am on 3) and attach my ipad to it all the time.  It is dead easy there is a section in settings called personal hotspot just click on that and success mobile broad band.  I am not charged any more for the honour so a much cheaper option than buying a 4G ipad and then taking out a seperate data contract.  I suspect other smart phones are able to do this too.  It is just as fast as my Dad's  ipad on its own 3G and when you factor in the extra cost of a 4G ipad it is a no brainer.

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    +1 for using iphone as a hotspot connected via bluetooth. Works great, just uses your normal data rate or allowance on your phone, no need to contact your provider. Likewise I don't normally use my full data allowance on my phone contract - even with using it via ipad when I'm out and about so to have an extra sim or contract for the ipad would be a waste. A lot of hotels try and rip you off on wireless fees so I can avoid this too!
  • Most android phones can do this too. Fairly standard feature now
  • Arrrggghhhh! As a total gadget numpty I desperately need help. I will be going into hospital for an op, will be there  for a week and then in a rehab clinic for 3 weeks. What kind of gadgets do I need in order to be able to access my email and internet while there?  And should I get a kindle to feed my voracious book reading appetite?