British 10k London Run - 8th July 2012

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I've asked a friend of mine that did this for her opinion (I was considering it). She said that the worst thing for her was not the medal but the lack of organisation. The volunteers tried their hardest but they didnt know anything so any sort of direction or support was missing.

She also said that the toilets were awful (for women at least).

• When I did it one of the stewards at the end, giving out the goody bags was heartily congratulating everyone on "finishing the marathon".

• cougie wrote (see)
    Fair enough but so long as new people insist on entering overpriced and certainly in the past not well reviewed races - the longer the cycle goes on
    Yeah I don't get it either. Every year people ask if it's good, get told no, it's shit, and then say they're entering anyway...
  • xine267 wrote (see)
    The Nike running clubs seem to have had a total revamp over the last year so maybe more races will be organised in the near future image

Hope so Xine!

Johnny2323 wrote (see)
    When I did it one of the stewards at the end, giving out the goody bags was heartily congratulating everyone on "finishing the marathon".

Love it - perhaps he thought people were doing 4 laps  image

• Sonic the sprinter wrote (see)

I just want to take part in the 'Nike River Run' - seems like a great race...

image image image

As long as no-one trips you up near the start ...

• Incase anyone is interested, nike have taken on this race and are promoting it heavily now. Paula Radcliffe was there for the launch announcement of nike taking it.

Point of interest though, its not classed as an official race under UKA, so cant be used for any club, power of 10 or runbritain scoring. And your race t-shirt includes your number so you have to wear it. I was thinking about doing it, but not much point for price vs worth of it. Knowing my luck I'd run a PB that would never count. 

This from runbritain:

"Hi

This race hasn't been licensed through UKA in recent years and this is currently the case for this year's race. Unless it takes out a UKA race license between now and the race taking place then it won't be included on the site I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Matt "

• I am still thinking. 50 quid for a guaranteed place is a bit too much. But this year's sponsor has changed to Nike, and it should be a good thing at the end.
  • I've run this over the past two years and the feedback above is pretty much spot on.

The medal was poor in 2010 but totally pathetic in 2011.  The website did say something about the 2012 medal being a lot better though!

The organisation is really poor.  The 1 mile jog to the start is quoted as being the ideal warm up. Unfortunately you're in a queue for about 1/2 mile of that and the blazing sun is the only thing warming your muscles.  Seems that this could be sorted so easily!

That said, the course is great.  Take time to look around and enjoy the run. I've enjoyed it on both occassions as I knew what to expect.  Remember - it's not a race for your PB!

I'll be entering again in 2012 for two reasons.  The hype created by the Olympics and the fact I'm running with friends.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think I might go for a jog round central London this evening, admire the view whilst there, then blow £50 in the pub afterwards on nice food and shit loads of booze.

I'll take kilometre splits on the Garmin so that it feels more like a race.

• Its a real shame that Nike have taken over this shoddy race instead of creating something new themselves.
  • PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Perhaps someone should e-mail Nike PR a link to the Runners World Rating page for this travesty of a race

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Perhaps Nike know what they're doing.  A shoddily organised race that gets absolutely awful reviews on this forum, yet is still oversubscribed at an extortionate price.  Imagine how popular it will be with some half-decent organisation!

FWIW my introduction to racing was a Nike 10k in Hyde Park, 2006.  They seemed to do a pretty decent job of that from what I remember, so I can fully appreciate the appeal of a mass event for someone looking to embark on their first race.

• I will miss the eccentric ranting on the website - slagging off the marathon. That was entertaining.
  • Im not really sure what nikes involvement in this race is apart from branding it, since they only came onboard a week ago. It doesnt look like they are doing any organising, so any issues with that in the past probably wont change (For example on the faq page, they dont even provide toilets and they suggest you bring 20p to use an underground station toilet). Also on the entry form there is no where to put your predicted times, so again there will be no start pens and you'll end up with fun runners and walkers in your way.....so I really cant see any reason to do this one apart from the whole 'its in london in the summer of the olympics' line. In fact for only £50 more you can 'buy' a charity place for the bupa london 10,000 in may which is a million times better on every level.....also Im pretty sure after the olympics there will be a bunch of 10ks etc that are either going to be around or finishing in the olympic stadium.....because they have to get some use out of it and seems like a no brainer for cashing in.

That recent national lottery 5 mile one for example, I could see that being repeated. I for one wouldnt pay £50 to run around the streets of london, but I'd pay £50 to finish a race in the olympic stadium. 

Also being told I have to race in the official t-shirt (because your number is printed on it) annoys me too. Sure it might be a tech t-shirt rather than cotton, but telling me I cant wear my running vest in july after I've paid £50....thanks.  Is it even chip timed?

• Okay so I signed up for this race on Monday and only now have looked for reviews and am slightly worried. I wanted a 10k in London during the summer and I thought heck £50 wasn't too bad when it includes so much and is around the center of London. Now I'm nervous about it as I have suggested to a lot of my friends to join in on the race! I hope it goes okay :/

With regards having to run in the shirt the same thing happened for the Run to the Beat but you were able to pick up a race number the day before at the expo and you could then run in your charity shirt. Maybe the same thing will happen?

I don't know about Nike doing a better job. The Run to the Beat wasn't a great race and this was organised by Nike. It was my second ever race so I didn't mind but after seeing what they could do at the Prague Half my expectations are higher.

Suppose with this, don't go in expecting much and you'll have a blast! image
  • Race pack turned up today and I'm pretty happy with the event t-shirt (even if it does have my runners number permenantly attached to it) and the event booklet seems professional and covered in Nike logos and advertising their involvement.

I'm still pretty worried in case the event itself turns out to be a shambles but time will tell and fingers crossed Nike won't want to risk their name being muddied by being involved in a bad event!

One point I did note was that there's still no starting pens this year so looks like I'll have to get down there stupidly early to start near the front...

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    Sonic the sprinter wrote (see)

I'm still pretty worried in case the event itself turns out to be a shambles but time will tell and fingers crossed Nike won't want to risk their name being muddied by being involved in a bad event!

Don't worry they have a lot of experience of organising a shambles so you won't be disappointed.

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    wayne clements wrote (see)

Also being told I have to race in the official t-shirt (because your number is printed on it) annoys me too. Sure it might be a tech t-shirt rather than cotton, but telling me I cant wear my running vest in july after I've paid £50....thanks.  Is it even chip timed?

You don't have to wear the official top as the race isn't even timed; let alone chip timed.

In fact they can't really stop anyone running it.

• I ran this race last here, here is my review on it

Good points

1. The course itself was flat and lots of lovely sites to take in, you run over westminster bridge, see the houses of parlament, see the London Eye, Take it all in, I did 

2. There is lots of support for the race, lots of cheering on, so well worth putting your name on your t.shirt and you will get lots of people shouting your name, which I always find a good uplifter

3. Good atmosphere if you are abit nostalgic with singing the national anthem at the beginning ( even tho you are packed in like sardines ) and seeing the marching band 

4. A nice run to the finish down by the cenotaph and lots of friendly faces

5. They had lots of drinks last year ( and it was a scorching hot day ) as i understand in previous years people had complained about lack of drink stations, and I was near the back, although i realise this could change ) but the marshalls on the drinks stations seemed very friendly 

6. There are toilets at 5k.  ( the good point is that there are toilets, but they will also feature in bad points too )

Bad points

1. The price, i do think even last year it was a rip off especially considering that silverstone half marathon was only £15 and that was a brilliant race

2. The start. It was a slow long walk to the start, and I would say it took an hour from me going to the toilet in St.James Park ( portaloos were huge queues ) to actually crossing over the start line ( which with nerves I was dying to go again then )

3. Everyone was squashed in and although it was a good atmosphere if you suffer from claustrophobia then stay near the back as you are literally like sardines into a can

4. There were toilets half way round ( just by the underpass ) but I ended up waiting 20mins in the queue so it added 20mins onto my chip time 

5. The toilets ( portaloos ) were pretty discusting, no toilet paper, very smelly and very messy too ( if you are a girl dont sit on the seat!! ) I have now invested in a shee wee so wont be bothering with portaloos on a race route again!!

6. It feels like a long trek from the finish line to the baggage area and to collect your goodie bag, once there alot of the goodie bags had gone ( I saw some runners with 2 goodie bags ) and there seemed no organisation and they had also run out of all t.shirts except large and extra large ( which totally buried me ) 

Hopefully thats given abit of both sides of the coins, good and bad to hopefully help you with your experience. 

Overall, did I enjoy it - Yes

would i do it again - probably knowing what I was going into just for the views and crowd support ( i've done alot of 10k's and nowhere has been a bigger crowd support than this )

however this year I just thought that £50 was too excessive and felt that they were just cashing in on using the olympic theme so decided that this year I would give it a miss

• Hi Everyone, I was hoping you could help me out! I want to be at the beginning of the race at British 10K London Run, Does anyone know what I should do ensure my place at the front? image

• Piers wrote (see)
    wayne clements wrote (see)

You don't have to wear the official top as the race isn't even timed; let alone chip timed.

In fact they can't really stop anyone running it.

Hi Piers,

The event is chip timed with the exception of those Charities that have opted for no chip timing (See FAQ on the website) 

• Thomas Hamilton 3 wrote (see)

Hi Everyone, I was hoping you could help me out! I want to be at the beginning of the race at British 10K London Run, Does anyone know what I should do ensure my place at the front? image

Get there EARLY. The race starts at 9:35. Aim to be ready as far forward as you can go by 7:30am. Note that it takes quite a while to walk from the baggage area around and up to the starting area, and in past years, they've only let you walk part of the way there before roping it off, they wait til hundreds of runners collect, then they let you walk a little bit further, stop again, repeat. So even if you are the first there, chances are that others who arrived after you will still be able to get in front. But at least getting there early usually ensures you're only waiting 5-10min to cross the start line instead of an hour.

The organisation of this race is trully awful and maddening and they've done nothing over the past 5 years to do anything about it. The only good points about this race are also good points about the Bupa 10,000, which is far, far superior in every way.

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Bloody hell they have forked out for timing; last 10 years the only people they timed were the first 100. Mind you bit tight to charge charities more if they want their runners timed.

• Hi. Signed up for this race as a first timer in April. Concerned that, with only over 2 weeks to go, I still haven't received a race pack. Getting no reply to emails sent and can't seem to find a working contact number. Should I be worried?
  • Piers I've no idea about previous years but it was chip timed last year, the chip came thru in my race pack and I had to attach it to my trainer

Sadie b no idea when my race pack came thru but yes try emailing again
  • PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Sorry, for years this race wasn't timed unless you were in the first 100 runners.

The race was so bad that someone set up a website www.british10kcomplaints.org; that was even mentioned on the London Marathon site; well entertaining spat between those two events.

• How does the shirt this year look like? Can someone who has received his/her race pack describe the design?

• Hi. would I be able to cut the number from my race shirt hem it to stop fraying then pin it on my vest as per a paper number?

• My t-shirt is too small, but inside the pack was a paper (black coloured) race number, so I am just going to use this - no way can I squeeze into the Nike top I won't be able to breathe !!!

• Mine's too small, too! It's nice, but too snug to run 6miles in.