RW Forum Six - 3.30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    He talks a lot gazelle! image
  • Minni he has just met his matchimage

Shaggy- You have two 1000 word essays awaiting in your inboximage

KateF wrote (see)
    Well done Gazelle, I'm here for a good old lurk. Followed the sub 4 last year, and now have a PB of 3.43, I have bugger all chance going under 3.30 but will take any speedy tips from the expert.
    KateF- You have a better PB than me, come on the journey and you will be fine.
  • Just a little bit about my background

I ran the London Marathon in 2010 off 3 runs a week, long run, speed run and recovery run, finishing time was 3.57mins. I didn't ache or anything the day after. Note to self put more effort in.

In 2011 I ran Stratford marathon which is an undulating course, I closely followed P&D plan but failed to do the long runs at marathon pace as was scared that I would fail these! I ran this one in 3.45.33. My A Plan was 3.30(This changed 3 weeks before the race as I knew that I wouldn't be able to make the time), B plan to get a GFA time which I got. My average min per mile was between 8.09 and 8.25 per mile and then at 19mile I suffered with cramp in both legs! I had gels and drink en route, I think I had not done enough MP miles!!!!

This year I hope to go, no I will go 3.30 in London. I have been following P&D 18 week programme. I can run all day at 9-9.30 min mile on my own, I can also do speed sessions but only if the reps are short (Its all in my head!) I can run with other people and run below 8min mile but have always thought that I cant do it on my own. I missed on purpose the first run in the P&D programme that said do a 13mile run with 8mile at MP. Then yesterday on the marathon thread I said I was going to do a 16mile run with 10 at mp, so today that is what I did and succeeded so now I am on top of the world and have realised after 3 years of running that I can run fast on my own.

Sorry about the above war and peace.

Let me know if there are any other questions that you would like answering.

• Gazelle listen to Shaggy he talks sense
  • Gazelle - I'm with you on the faster runs on my own, only tend to do speed work at the track with my club, and temp runs on my own struggle to hit MP. I run 6 or 7 times a week so have decided I'm probably knackered and will perform after a taper. Rubbish theory, but I'm not a big fan of resting. Good luck, with your PB coming from a hilly course I'm sure you'll be fine. Oh, and what's the P&D plan?
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Gazelle Shaggy will have been up all night writing and rewriting schedules for you.   I'm sure you're going to do very well with the correct tweaking to your training. I went from 3:41 to 3:31 in a year with no proper training so it can done.  image
  • Gazelle - well done on getting picked, and on securing shaggy as your mentor. He is a top guy and will definitely get you to the start line with the best possible chance of cracking the 3.30. It sounds like one mental block is out of the way if you did the 16 with 10 at MP - once you convince yourself you can run 8 minute miles for long distances it is half the battle I think image
  • I couldn't sleep last night as my head was buzzing with excitement, I still can't believe I was picked,. Thank you Thank you Thank You.

Spoons- 100+ miles a week yikes!

Mr Puffy- Which marathon are you doing? What training plan are you following?

Minni wrote (see)
    hang on - both Gazelle and Shaggy are missing.  Perhaps he has her out on a training session already? image

Minni- I'm on a rest day today, Well I think I am at the moment, I do need to improve on my core work so I might do a few sit ups.

Kate f - Are you doing a marathon this year? If so which one? P&D is a book called Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas, It has lots of Marathon pace runs which I accidently on purpose missed doing them last yearimage

Freemers- Yes your right It's all in my head ref the pace. After yesterdays performance and now with the help of a mentor I'm hoping to do a Minni like last year and smash the 3.30 time.

• Ah yes, I have downloaded it but ignored it so far.... I'm doing 12 marathons this year starting in the New Forest next month, with Brighton being down for potential for being speedy. Needless to say I'm not really following much of a plan....
  • Congrats againimage  We have the same target so will be following this thread closely.
  • Go Gazelle!!

Lots of luck with your training!!

• We are still in the consultation room, but are taking regular breaks to keep it all nice and fresh.image

Gazelle will be staying with P&D and we will tweak as needed, but from what I have seen so far, I am very happy to be partnered with Gazelle ( she is a worker ) and I am sure she will have a cracking marathon on 22nd April at London.

Hopefully everybody can give her great support along the way, and for other`s with similar goals, by all means join in, it will make the journey so much smoother and the forums are a great place to be for anybody that enjoys their running.

Back into the consultation room. image

• Afternoon!

Gazelle I am doing London and I am following the RW "ultimate" 3:30 plan, I intend to follow it a little more closely than I have in the past, I have tended to run 3 times a week.  This year, I think I can do 4 without injury which hopefully will give me those last few minutes on raceday. 

For the last 2 years I've tried to build round a long run - I've never really tried to put any mara pace into this run - a midweek longer run at or near mara pace, and alternated between fartlek, intervals and hills for the third run.  When I have been able to get the 4th run in, it's a 5 or 6 mile tempo run.  All plus one gym session of rowing, treadmill hill program, and working the cross trainer with no hands to improve core & balance.  

I think GFA (50) is a little too far for me but I will not be happy unless I have gone under 3:30 soon. 

• Congratulations Gazelle - Shaggy is brilliant and you're in excellent hands. He knows his stuff image
  • ooooh, anuver 3:30 thread! Count me in.

Gazelle, you are one lucky sod to be coached by da man shaggy!

So many old friends on here and hoping to make some new ones too along the way.

3:38 for me in 2010 and on track in 2011 for an autumn PB only to find out that it wasn't an autumn day but a monster heat wave (26 degrees ...) which then put paid to any sub 3:30 time. Just coming back from illness and struggling with a hip injury but that seems to be on the mend.

Bring it on!

• Kate f- 12 marathons in a year wow. What times will you be aiming for? I'm panicking just doing the one.

Mon77- he he I will still pop over to the marathon thread, it made me do my fast session yesterday which I'm still on a high from.

Mr Puffy- Stick around and hopefully we will both get our 3.30hrs.  Lots of people are saying that shaggy has lots of great knowledge and advise so this is our perfect opportunity. What have you done ref training today?

Chickadeee- Are you doing a marathon, if so which one? Oh no ref your Hip injuryimage

Question time

My diet is rubbish, I'm always picking at chocolate, cakes(any time of the day) and pizza especially after a run, What do you eat that I could copy which is good for the waist line? Naughty but nice things not just fruit ect

• Gazelle - Hmmm - Diet - yes that will be another area that we will be looking at, keep talking. image image
  • Oh no I feel a food diary coming on!

Will this addictive behaviour of looking at this thread every few mins go away???????

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Gazelle don't let shaggy make you give up too much of the good stuff - like wine and hot baths! image
  • Minni- I'm not a wine girl, but I can substitute it for Malibuimage No hot baths! I can't do cold ones brrrrrr
  • Gazelle try malt loaf, it's quite high in energy so perfect for a pre- or post-run snack.  I usually just have half a banana after a run to keep me going til I've had a shower or bath then made my tea.... Long runs I usually have a chocolate milkshake, they taste soooo good after a long run!

• Today was a half mile  warm up and a five mile tempo with a half mile warm down. 7 or 8 slow tomorrow, club effort session on Thursday, half marathon race on Sunday.

That half will be a pointer for me, I did it in 1:39 last year, it's a funny course, long shallow climb to 11 miles then a fast finish, so the time itself isn't really representative, but obviously it'll give a clear idea of where I am vs. last year.

• We have not forgot about the forum, image  we are just getting the background stuff sorted and hopefully once Gazelle has time to digest it all  image she will let you all know what she is up to.

STAY TUNED...................................................................

• Carrot- Yum, I can eat malt loaf so that's a good one. Last year I spent a fortune on Lucozade products, recovery drinks ect then I picked up a tip and now use Nesquik and milk after a run, Hope it was a good tip.

Mr Puffy- Good luck Sunday and do report back. One thing I haven't done enough of is races, must put more in my diary.

So rest day for me today.

I am sticking with the P&D plan but may be tweaking it at times.

Tomorrow I will be doing the following:

9miles with 5miles @ 15k-1/2 marathon race pace, just need to find somewhere flat!

I will update tomorrow.

• Hi guys

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I'm running my first marathon in April (in Paris) and originally I hoped to run it in around 3:30, but as it creeps closers I'm wondering if maybe that was a little ambitious...! I'm 20, female and my pb over 10 miles is 1:20, however that was last summer and I THINK I'm fitter now (...wishful thinking maybe?!).

I hate going back on targets, but do you think I'm being realistic?
  • Janiemouse - I would suggest as it's your first marathon and based on your 10m time just under 4 hours is a more achievable target. Then go for 3:30 in the autumn image
  • Janie - start by racing a 10k asap and prove to yourself that you are fitter now (or otherwise) than you were for your 10 miler.