RW Forum Six 4 hrs

Comments

• Dear Frodo,

Last year, Plum mentored my sub 4 VLM attempt, which, in the end, was not successful 

He has suggested I merge my sub-4 training thread from last year onto here, "so as to avoid confusing the old fellow" ie him

Is that OK?

I am signed up for Stratford, one week after VLM, and have started my training plan exactly the same way as I started last years, by going off too enthusiastically and hurting my left hamstring.

Planning an easy jog tomorrow followed by a week off and heavy drinking

this is the plum plan

• My most recent race was the Epsom 10, on 20th Nov last year, which I did in 1:27:30

so that is where I am starting from

• Well done Frodo and good luck! I've not entered a marathon this year but I'm thinking about entering the sandstone trail challenge. I did the Liverpool marathon in October and was hoping for sub 4 but it all fell apart after 16 miles. I ended up just hoping to finish and crossed the line in 4:05.

Mikefrog did you do the Liverpool marathon? There was someone with frog or something frog on his top.
  • Are we all safely gathered in yet............image
  • Hello everyone image

I have sent poor Plum a veritable phone book-sized essay answering his questions and await his judgement!

Good to see you over here, Mike, but sorry to hear about the hamstring issues. I had a little potter around a hilly 10 mile race in December too, didn't push too hard (have a bit of a mile-wide lazy streak, me image  ) and came in at 1.30xx, so we're still hovering around similar times.

Sibryne- 4.05 is soooo close, I'm sure you'll blast a sub-4 soon image  Which marathon are you targeting this time?

• Frodo I haven't got any marathons planned this year although I do feel like I've got unfinished business with Liverpool so that is still a possibility. If I do the sandstone trail then I'll just be aiming to finish.
  • I have club run training tonight but will be here later to expound.....

• I have runned - as per instructed by Mr Plum image

Would you like the stats up here, or sent to you boss?
  • I have runned to ..... send them to me whilst I try to set the scene here please
  • PM sent.
    *waits (almost) patiently*

Shall I put the kettle on?
  • OK

I have asked Frodo a few questions mainly for my benefit about time she has available to train, current times etc and her honest aims and desires.....
    I asked her as she had the opportunity to do me a 5k time trial tonight on the way home from work just to get some numbers as she has said she likes the gadgetry side of it looking at results numbers etc which makes my life easier, some of you will remember Froggies technological reluctance last year image

Some numbers .....
    a sub 4 marathon is (to give you a few yards to spare) 9.09 min mileing

a 1.25 10 miler in Feb/March would be good for the confidence
    as would be a 1.50 half in March/April and a 3 hour 20 miler or two or three is the aim from this side of the fence

The months are irrelevant really as they are dependent on when your Marathon is but this is why we are here to discuss this sort of thing

It can be done on 3 runs a week, I am proof of that but 4 or 5 is better, 6 is magic. I don't believe in running for the sake of running, give each training session a point and you will be more effective. Gash miles are just that, tiring you for the sake of feeling tired and detracting from the next session.
    Some of you will lose weeks for whatever reasons......Don't panic and don't try to play catch up, stick to the plan and keep the risk of injury down.
    Listen to your body, if it says it is tired it probably is, don't run maybe cross train or just go for a walk or just slob out on the couch.... wanting to train is half the battle.
    You are allowed beer and curries and choklit image

Right I will shut up for a second and let you lot have a ponder
  • Plum wrote (see)
     You are allowed beer and curries and choklit image
    image Plum, I think you are wonderful image
  • especially if you can run sub 24 5k's image

I know you have a half on Sunday that you aren't planning to "race" but it would be nice to see what consistency you have so I would keep the rest of the week short and sweet so have a cycle commute tomorrow in and out... We can do some intervals on the way home on Thursday and then see how you feel before deciding on Friday's pain. Rest on Saturday or a swim. I know how much you love that image
    Looking at what you have said in the pm I would like to put some speed in your legs but don't want to injure you so slow but sure is the way forward at the moment.
  • Yay - cycle commute means a lie in, this is turning out to be a very good week image

Thank you for your time today - hope your club training run was good too?
  • 400m sprint
    100m recovery
    400m sprint
    100m recovery
    for 40 mins............ I is buggered especially as my lungs don't cope well with the cold for the first 15 mins or so.
    average with the sprints and recoveries 4.07m k's so have to be content with that.....
    You will be doing longer slower intervals on Thursday m'dear
  • That sounds brutal! How many reps did you fit into 40 mins?

• I am popping in to enable easy lurking.
    Congrats to both Plum and Frodo - I can't think of a better team image
  • Congrats to Frodo, and plum.

I remember Frodos Lakes ultra last year, then couldn't do liverpool.
    Which I did do sub 4 in happily as first time....But always interested in training tips and ideas, Should be a great thread.

Much like Plum, 10 x Sprints & recoveries tonight. Tough.. Especially after gym circuit at 7am.

Remind me, What's your current marathon PB and other times Frodo? Excalibur is mega hills too?
  • Thanks SOLB image

FRC - my running PBs are not an advert for distance running image
    10K - 0.47
    HM - 1.49
    Road M - 4.30*
    Off-road - 4.20**

* This was recorded at the Leicester Marathon 2010. I was offered a free place the week of the event and I took it to use as my last LSR for Snowdonia, which had been my A-race target and was three weeks later. I had followed the 3.45 RW plan and hit all the targets, so was feeling confident. I ran 18 miles at MP, then chilled out. I stopped for a good ten minutes to help someone who had fallen and badly cut themselves and pottered home, enjoying the views. I then had an accident the week of SNOD, which meant I couldn't run it image

** This was at the Man V Horse last summer, which is an off-road, mountain based race with navigation. However, though it is advertised as a marathon, it is short by over two miles, so we certainly can't count it!

Everything I ran last year was prep for the Lakeland - slow and steady. The reason I put myself forward for this mentoring was that I couldn't shake myself out of that training rut; slow and steady is nice image I can trot out 10-11m/m for hours on end, barely breaking into a sweat and enjoying the views. Until last night, it had been a good year since I had done anything approaching speedwork image
    Somehow, I don't think Plum will let me get away with that again image

• okey cokey..... cheated a bit and spoke to Frodo about this but the plan for tomorrow is

10 min gentle warm up then..

1k in as close as poss to 4 1/2 mins record HR and actual speed please
    Recover by jogging gently until your HR is back down to below LSR rate as discussed and record the time taken to recover

repeat times 4 so you will have pushed for 4k
    10 mins or whatever necessary gentle jog to get home

THEN Stretches
    1) hold right ankle and pull up to right glute hold for 20 secs
    repeat with left leg

repeat twice more

2) Cross right leg over left and touch toes..... hold for 20 secs
    ...change legs and repeat

repeat twice more

3) squat on the floor with bum on heels hands together elbows between knees and push apart.... hold for 20 secs

repeat twice more

I will give you some pre run dynamic stretching bits tomorrow.

I am trying to shake you out of your comfort zone really as I know how happy you are plodding..... this week is very exploratory and there should be a lot more structure honest once the half is out the way and I have a better idea where you are.

Questions?

Anyone?

• How on earth can you run with one leg stretched over the other, heels together and elbows apart?

• If boss says I have to do it, then I have to do it...

*sets off with one leg stretched over the other and heels together*

*falls over*

I don't know if I'll be able to make 4.5m/K like that... image
  • Slaps are free,,,,,, and freely given, I know where you both live image
  • I think I need a slap - it's just taken me 5 minutes to work out how to change my Garmin from miles to km image
  • Ummm slaps......... What's going on here then?????
  • and dont think for a minute that you are immune just coz you sneaked off to the speedy boys image
  • and sorry..... I train with a Saffer and she is stubborn as a mule about training to k's rather than miles....I am now bilingual, or is it bisexual image
  • I like miles - they take longer to run, so it gives me more time to work out the arithmetic I need - it helps pass the time image
  • ok ok I shall translate for you

tuts.....

who is in charge here

;-)
  • Nooooo image
    Please don't make me switch the Garmin back to miles tonight - I can't remember how to do it! image