• Options
    But everyone passes me on the bike
  • Options
    and i bet you shout 'crap swimmer' at them as they do image
  • Options
    Oh yes ... would be rude not to image
  • Options

I have decided that training is over rated image

The last few weeks have been going ok but the results are dire!

Case 1
    Did my tri club's low key duathlon on Sunday - not only recorded my slowest time in nearly 2 years but got soundly beaten by a bunch of ladies from my running club none of whom have ever done a duathlon before but who thought it would "be a laugh"................  And just to soundly rub it in, I felt I was actually running (usually sensation is wobbling) and that I was flying on the bike - felt great and was thinking that the training was beginning to pay off....................

Case 2
    Didn't get into early spin class today and weather gorgeous so thought I would do some bike "hills" locally..... By "hill" I mean maximum of maybe 100 yards and 5%...... And not once but twice when going up hill got overtaken by posties on sit up and beg bikes

No other reasons / excuses either for performing poorly.............. and believe you me I have trawled the depths of my mind to find some! image

• Options

Podds, they aren't racing/working on tired legs and you are.  A taper, when the time comes will make you feel completely different and ready to take on the world.

I'm running a HM on Saturday and going into it tired.  I know I'll be beaten by runners that I'd normally beat and that they'll take heart from that, but I can't afford a taper, nor can I afford to rest up too much afterwards so I'll just pace myself and swallow my pride.

You're still on target so trust your training and see what it brings you.

I have caught a bloody cold from some inconsiderate 'carrier' image and as result my swim session last night was a real struggle.  I didn't bother with my usual brick run afterwards.image.

I took this week off work to try and build a decent fitness platform but I'm struggling for enthusiasm to get my bike out of the door this morning. 

A good kick up the arse is what I need.

• Options

image Podds I feel your pain image.

Everybody overtakes me on my bike, I am constantly wondering to myself "how are they doing that??"

And don't get me started on swimming!! I've been paying for 1-1 lessons since bliddy November, and I still can't do flippin front crawl without feeling like I'm dying imageimage

Weirdly I have noticed I'm becoming emotionally attached to my bike however. I dropped "her" off for a service last night at the LBS, and I felt quite a tug of sentiment as I handed her over. I had to bite my lip and resist the urge to tell them to "take good care of her" image

• Options
    bburn plodder wrote (see)

Weirdly I have noticed I'm becoming emotionally attached to my bike however. I dropped "her" off for a service last night at the LBS, and I felt quite a tug of sentiment as I handed her over. I had to bite my lip and resist the urge to tell them to "take good care of her" image

Like it!!  image

• Options
    bburn - I am the same about my bikes (MTB and Road).  Both have names and I talk to them when I am riding them.  I even have photo's of them on my desk at work.  image
  • Options
  • Options
    As if you haven't got a pet name for your 'steed' Dusty!! image
  • Options
    C'mon Dusty, 'fess up Mate
  • Options
    It's written on the frame. Velocifer. Nowt overly exciting.
  • Options

image Always name your bikes

Green Goblin (from spiderman) racing bike

Fred (Fred Frintstone) very simple MTB

Little Betty stunt BMX although it's been on long term loan so might have lost that one.

Come on all of you wants your names for your bike?

• Options

Hybrid -  unnamed

MTB - Mrs B The Second (as Mrs B was stolen)

1st road bike - Barley

2nd Road Bike - The New Improved Barley (shortened to The NIB)

Roadie and MTB are same brand.  One is black, the other is white.  They therefore have to have names that are linked

• Options
    I just refer to my MTB and road bike as "The Beast" and "My Baby". I'll let you figure out which is which! image
  • Options

My hybid is called faithful Dobin and my road bike is Damien cos it scared the sh*t out of me when I first got it.  But now I love it, though Damien seems to have stuck. I haven't got photos of them though! image

News from the fracture clinic - inconclusive, scaphoid fractures being difficult to diagnose and all that. So another week in a splint to see if it gets better on its own.

On a better note, the anti-depressants are kicking in and I did a steady run this morning that came out at 11.40min/miles which is the fastest I've done for a year. I've been months in the doldrums of 13.5min/miles with no energy and dragging myself out for a session. Think I'm turning a corner. image

• Options
    Hey SD...mrsB fractured her scaphoid last year...they are a nightmare and will still be sore for ages...one doc will say broke...the other will say not broke.
    want my advice??? dont let it stop you.....swimming will help it...running obviously is fine...the bike might be a bit sore...get some aero bars so you can take the weight off it.

sounds like your still up for it with the running (you'll only need sub 15min miles on the day to get round)...and you'll only supplement the feelings the AD's (not in the race morning sense of AD's) are giving you with the fitness getting better!!!
  • Options

Sounds like cautiously good news Soupy image and that's great running too image As Andy says you only need to do 4mph on the day image

My bikes are

Roadie 1 - Cip

Roadie 2 - Thor

Cyclocross - Chris

MTB (on last legs) - Paola

• Options
    I biked to the fracture clinic today lol! It hurt like hell every time I went over a bump. Swimming and running is fine though. Might try the cycle circuit tomorrow cos its got no bumps and I don't have to use my brakes.
  • Options
    thats the spirit soupy!!!
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭
    Soupy, I like the attitude.
    Last year I went to the gym with my arm in a bright blue cast and did cycling and a bit of run/walk on the treadmill, looked a bit odd but made me feel better. Although the downside was getting showered and dressed after, that seemed a workout in itself.
  • Options

When I had my knee surgery I still went to body pump classes whilst the knee was straight jacketed and I was on crutches and the instructor did me variations on a theme for all the ones I couldn't do such as lunges / squats but all the upper body ones were fine as I could weight bare evenly on the leg image

I loved the look on people's faces as I hobbled into the classes image

• Options
    Ive named my tri bike Jason, (I tell everyone I meet that!) I am sad

I don't have any names for any of my other bikes.....
    except my cannondale commute bike is officially now called a piece of Sh*t!!! Its days are numbered.
  • Options

My road bike is nicknamed PBS after Mr.W referred to it as a "Parts Bin Special"

I'm trying to think of a name for the TT bike. Stella Stealth? Stealth Stacey?

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Did I really say that about your beautiful bike? image
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Haha

The Globe is Pixie

MTB is Dave

Cyclocross is Florence

Winter Hack is Pearson

Race Bike is Piri

Jason is very random OC
  • Options

Ref scaphoid fractures; I split mine playing rugby some years ago. "It's only a sprain" said our physio, so we strapped it up & I carried on playing for the remaining 6 months of the season. By mid summer I've sussed that it's not healing, so I trot to the doc's who says "broken scaphoid" without needing any more than a glance at it.

By leaving it 6 months the bones had started to degenerate, because blood flow is poor at that point. First attempt at surgery was to open the wrist, open my hip, take a bone graft from the hip and screw the hip graft into the wrist between the two halves of scaphoid. 6 months later that's failed and I have permanent pain from arthritis, as well as the break. So we try some new surgery that involes splitting one of the other wrist bones, and using that as a graft... this time with two big pins and some screws. It stabilised the wrist but has effectively fused it, so there's no bend possible. Which meant that when i crashed my snowboard and landed on my finger a year later, there's no shock-absorbtion from the wrist... so my knuckle exploded... which has resulted in seriously ugly surgey and pain and not being able to make a proper fist out of my right hand any more.

Soooooooo..... you might want to push ahead and train through the pain, Souply. Wouldn't fault you if you did. But then again..... you might not. 

• Options

So .. i had my first propper rest day in a while yesterday , with no cycling , running , gyming , swimming .. barely even any walking .. so why did my ride to work today feel like i was cycling in through treacle image

Only 100 days til Outlaw ..... Gulp image .

• Options

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I really wish you hadn't said that................