Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Max hope its soon sorted.

65 miles on the bike for me today, it was a breeze, feeling good just at the moment.
  • Was a dead battery but i was taking my daughter to the station for her mock trial teams trip to the old baily she missed the train so we had to fork out for another ticket for a later train as her original was vaild plus a battery so an expensive day but she got there in the end the annoying thing is the car has never missed a beat until now image
    The rest of life also got in the way so its a rest day and long bike tommorow image
  • Larne half marathon today.  Quite warm and strong breeze off the sea, which was in the runners faces all the way home from the halfway point. 

My pacing is shite as I went out with the wind mostly behind me to reach halfway in just over 57 mins.  I came back on the tougher half with the wind in my face in under 53 minutes.  WTF is that all about?

Still, it was a PB for me by over 4 minutes.

• Max, sorry to hear of your day and mis-fortune. Sounds expensive and annoying.

VT'd great race, especially as you have trained hard on the run in.

I am really tired and hope it is just all the training and busy working catching up with me. Enjoy Saturday night all. Roast Belly Pork for me and a seldom seen good friend due to arrive soon.

• Another 50 miles in the bank today, lovely day. Very sore bum, even in my new super duper tri shorts. Think I night revert to the Assos F1 Mille shorts for Outlaw bike. But still time to decide. The 2XUs do look cooler!

Finally getting the fuelling right I think. Though still have to stop to take a gel. That, or shower in it and become wasp bait. Not helped by the fact that every wasp seems to think pirate colours mean the best sex he ever had. LOL.
  • Had my best weekend so far with fab10mile run yesterday and 40mile bike today. Have been suffering with chest infection for weeks but now seem over it .

Actually braved going out in Pirate kit to motivate myself!!

I feel so far behind where I was last year I can just tell it is going to be a hard slog just to get to the start line, but hey ho, If it was supposed to be easy everyone would do it.

• slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    50 miles in the sun for me today

Quite pleased considering recent cold but I am another behind where I was last year
  • Lots of chest infections going round by the sounds of it, glad your feeling better CD.

Did a 20 mile run earlier and with the weather being so sunny and amazing I loved it, that told my chest infection where to go image

• Hastings Half done for me today ... didnt bank on needing P20 in March, comedy suntan well and truly on its wayin hot pursuit of a nice new pb (just!!)
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Nice racing, Meldy and VT'd. Looking forward to having a laugh at your comedy tan, Melds.

Sorry to hear about your car troubles, Max, and I hope all is sorted now. Please thank your bro very much for posting on the Team MK forum - it all helps.

Lots of 50-milers going on this weekend, for me too, and it would have been rude not to with this weather. Mind you, yesterday's long run virtually ended in a dizzy crawl for the last 3 miles, which I put down to the unaccustomed heat!
  • Are you swimming tomorrow Joddly?
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Doubt it - shame, because your tan marks will be at their most amusing. I might nip across just for a laugh....
  • I shall make sure I top them up on Tuesday for you   image
  • 80k bike ride this morning with Horse,lots of long hills and some short steep ones as well, but where you go uphill there's always a downhill 60.6k on one downhill. I nearly came a cropper on one downhill had to brake hard and broadsided the bike but luckily managed to stay on. . Really enjoyed it in the sun.
  • Today was my first rt day in 3 weeks

Yesterday was hiking and friday was trail running

Just over 12.5hrs training for the week .. Happy with that image
  • Sounds like most people are having fun. Be hard not to with this weather!

I do a little 25-min swim after my run on a Saturday while the nippers are in lessons in the next lane. "Coach" has been saying for a while that I need to build more speed work in, so I did 10 x 100m on 2 min intervals (a bit like yours Orca & Will?). Really pleased to hold the pace all the way through at 1:48 - 1:52.

Yesterday's ride went into my top-3 faves ever. Muffin kindly let me have the prime, Sunday morning window, so I got in 4 very hard hours around the Cambrian Range in north wales and a circuit around Moel Famau. Never done the route before and it unlocked some glorious, scenic climbs in beautiful sunshine.

Legs are shredded, but I'll happily take that. Unlike some of you poor folks above, I'm miles ahead of where I was last year with 24 weeks to the race.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/606899/Gallery/Denigh_ride_compress.jpg

• 2 hours on the TT on Saturday in the sunshine, then first long ride of the year (after falling off 12 miles into the last planned one) yesterday. 60 miles, and wondering how the hell I'm going to finish a 100 mile sportive next Sunday. Reckon I might be better off running it image

Good solid week of training though image
  • Bashed out 3.2K in the pool this morning, will run tonight. Another vote for way behind where I was at the same time last year......... but i peaked too soon last year so hopefully will get it right this time.
  • as last year was my first proper year of training and this year I started with a half-decent base compared to last time... I am much further ahead than last year.... but.... with about 15 weeks less training time I am still worried I won't be where I was come race day!!!
  • Nice 4k swim on Saturday

Planned LSR 20 mile run turned into 12 mile fast run as Mrs SA had taken the prime Sunday morning slot I was left with a run at midday in the heat

Strangely I am ahead of where I have been in previous years 

• Only one session today ...

3hrs spinning after work
  • A nice sunny 10 miler Saturday. Yesterday was a rest day. Today I took off for my daughter's birthday, and to ride.

Did 63miles on the TT - just over 3.5 hours. Feeling a little more confident on it, though I tend to get blown all over the road in any breeeze. Time to eat more??

• Nice training you guys and CONGRATS to Meldy for her PB!!! imageimage

I had a good weekend too. Managed 70 miles of the Ironman Wales course with a 30 min run off. I swapped my rest day and long run day around to spend some time with Garr yesterday and so did an hour and a half run this evening.

Proper summer kit and all! Loving the weather. Makes it so much easier to get out there!

• slowerthanilook wrote (see)
    It's left me really wheezy and sneezy though. Does anybody else suffer an Attack of the Killer Mucus after a decent sesh in the pool??
    I used to til I used Beconase spray before I started my swim session. Might be worth a try?
  • Yes Beconase works for me too. Massive snot monster without it!
  • Ah thanks for the beconase tip that might help.

Ran 8 miles with the club last night on tired legs, cycled 40K before dawn today. Will have another trot at lunchtime. I rode my road bike for the first time in months today, it felt weird after riding a TT bike, I was also considerably slower but that maybe because I seem to have cooked my legs.

everyone is starting to ramp up their training nicely, on personal level I don't have the enthusiasm  I had last year and have more of a CNBA attitude at times. But I'm sure I'll get there and in all probability I will be no slower than last year.

• Right.... Beconase it is then.
    Thanks for that image

• Beautiful 50 miles round the lanes and over the hills today, sadly I have to go back to work tomorrow !
  • A good day for me

LUNCH TIME
    - 45min swim

PM
    - 90min spinning
    - 90min riverside run

• Its going to be another good week for you Will !!