Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Sounds like a nice ride VT. I know what you mean about the points thread, and the constant feedback from all of us. Positive attitude is where it is at. I hope to keep some of this encouragement in a bag for when it's needed. It certainly comes in useful when It's not going smoothly.

Thursday's run was only 4.5miles, but it was a good hill session, and I ached where I haven't ached for weeks. Low points, high quality.

I enjoy the tri club swims as they push me, but I do think it could be a risk. I'd like to do a 3k session at some point, but I might wait until after the Marshman to see how I fare. Slow and steady for the swim.

Need to check the wind direction for tomorrow and find a route.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Now you see the points thread doesn't do it for me.  I find it a bit too competitive and it gets me down, rather than boosting me.  I feel like I have to do more to improve my rating and will hurt myself in the process, but, and it's a big but, I know it will suit other people so I support it for them. You're all a bit too 'ard on the points thread for me.

I like this thread, just so I can see that I am doing similar stuff to the other athletes and I'm not too far behind.

• I dipped out of the points thread in previous years but stuck with it this year and try not to compare to heavily with others, I also know that I am doing a lot more gym work than previous years and that doesnt count ... I need to have words with the wrinkled dead one I think !
  • Morning folks

Yesterday was a wipe down for me, should have been a long ride but a combination of what i suspect was heat exhaustion from Fridays Olympic and having somehow ingested gluten laid me to waste. Got out on the bike for a brisk 27 miles before work today, will swim at lunchtime so back on the road. My running and swimming are fine its bike time I'm finding hard to get at the moment.

The points thing doesn't work for me I'm competative enough without adding more into the equation!

• I agree re the points thread. I'm better not comparing my training to others as it just adds too much pressure and can even be discouraging.

Hope the rest did you good DD, sounds like you're back to it.

Long bike for me today. Not sure why but I'm not full of my usual pre bike bounce! Hopefully enthusiasm will kick in once I get out there!

• started doing to points thing but keep forgotting, plus with you lot doing outlaw and me going to IM Wales was getting left behind as your all getting toward peak phase and I'm just coming off base and into build

any how good 3.8k swim yesterday

21.5 mile run today

may be able to get back down to pool again today for easy swim

• First ever century ride to day in the Downlands Sportive. I didn't realise there were so many hills in Kent!

I quite like the points thread. I find that I'll do a bit more just to nick an extra point.
  • NV wrote (see)
    I find that I'll do a bit more just to nick an extra point.
    I enjoyed my brief foray at the top! Where I lived in Kent it was very flat, but yomping around Dover/Folkstone way certainly opened my eyes.
  • Loving your work, brothers and sisters. I've done the "points" thread solidly for nearly two years now, but never found it in the slightest bit competitive. Weird, huh? When the gazmanmeister dumps a 200-point load, I sometimes find it a bit intimidating, but it's all inspiring for me, and as above, I'll splash, bimble and trot a little bit further for an extra point... like Scooby Doo with his snacks. Anyway... prepare for free inspiration. In the words of Kung-Fu Panda...... 

THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR MY AWESOMENESS!

Only had 90-120 minutes max today for my ride, Muffin having got lost in the wilds of north woollybackland and knocked-off a 6-hour ride. So I planned for quality, and with a steely jaw and an iron resolve, set off for a hard session of hill repeats. That resolve lasted until the gate at the end of the driveway, where i tried a high-difficulty gate opening without unclipping. As I held on to one of the gates in my left hand, with the other one swinging slowly away from me in my right hand, I felt kind of like Mr Bean, or perhaps more classily Harold Lloyd. Stretched to the limit of my reach, I wobbled for some seconds before giving up the ghost, tucking my arms in, and dropping like a sack of shit on the gravelly concrete. Ouch - idiot - ouch - arsehole - ouch - dickhead - ouch - sod it. Get up and ride.

Hill reps were going well, although my indexing was clearly buggered and clattering. Bugger #2. It's a 3 minute up-flat with then another 4 minutes of flat n down before you start again. Four reps in, I'm feeling good and sweating like Gavin Henson in an off license, when I work out that my front has flatted. Bugger #3. Pop some air in and decide to head home, it's only 4 miles back. Popping over a little hump backed railway bridge, I come off the bike again as my rear derailleur has become a rear derailler, getting itself stuck in the spokes of my back wheel and dragging the chain off. Bugger #4. Fixed that and dragged my sorry arse home, to find muffin trimming her clematis with the kids.

Ho hum. Nothing a couple of bottles of wine and a nice meal won't cure. Better luck next week!

• 78 cold hilly miles on the saturday totally got the kit level wrong as ther was a cutting wind blowing, just under 2 hours easy coast path/beach run today followed by a beautiful swim in Whitsand Bay totally fried now so probs a rest day for me tomorrow
  • NV wrote (see)
    First ever century ride to day in the Downlands Sportive. I didn't realise there were so many hills in Kent!

I quite like the points thread. I find that I'll do a bit more just to nick an extra point.

Good riding NV - how long did it take you?

Bet you were one of the few who managed to ride all the hills - around me there were as many walking them as riding them and I only did the short version....

Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
     Where I lived in Kent it was very flat, but yomping around Dover/Folkstone way certainly opened my eyes.

That's where the sportive went Cat! Canterbury to just beyond Hythe, along a bit behind Folkestone and Dover and then back to Canterbury via the forest and a couple of 20%+ hills and plenty of others close to that...........or at least that was the short course..........not sure where the longer one went entirely!

• Very pleased with my 4.56 mara today. Especially off the back of a 56 mile ride yesterday and 1.9 in the pool Friday eve. Still got to sort out the back pain on the bike though, It was horrid.

Scared shitless by the 25mph downhill blow out on the front wheel as well. No pshhhhh, just BANG and on the rims. One cm tear in the tube.

And my feet hurt...

• Dustboy yep down hill blowouts can be scarey. Sounds as if your training well.

NV: How long for the 100?

Max: Whitsand bay? Do you live around Torpoint? I'm a Camels Head boy.

Will swim 3K at lunch, run 13K tonight.

• Dave
    I live in Liskeard there are quite a few ironman/ endurance training bods around here give us a shout when you are around if you want to hook up for a swim or bike
  • Podds, the long route went towards Dover after the feed station via Lydden and back through Capel Le Ferne. I was off the bike 3 times in the last 20 miles for hills though, I admit. Not too bothered because my flat speed was still OK at the end, and Outlaw is flat, right? image

DD, it took 7:50 riding time. Sportive finish time will be about 30 minutes or so longer. The problem was, the ups were nasty, but the downs were potholed, gravel covered single track nightmares so no opportunity to make up time.

DB, that could have nasty, glad you're OK.

STIL, cracking day there image

• I agree about the descents NV - couldn't enjoy them partially because of the dreadful conditions of the tracks, especially through the forest south of Canterbury and partially because what went down of course went up again image

I remember the forest part from the Tour de Sandwich last year and I hated it then too!

• Max will give you a shout as and when I'm down that way.

Potholed / gravel  covered roads are what I hate about cycling in the UK, especially after 13 years of baby bum smooth pot hole free tarmac that is Dubai.

• a new week and a new start....
    remember with the points thread its better to compete with your own months totals.....

nothing to be gained from big totals if you then injure youeself and not make the start line of the race........that said march was my lowest thios year so april will have to make up for it
  • seren nos wrote (see)
    a new week and a new start.... remember with the points thread its better to compete with your own months totals..... nothing to be gained from big totals if you then injure youeself and not make the start line of the race........that said march was my lowest thios year so april will have to make up for it

+1 for this although you also need some big totals if you want any realistic chance of getting to the finish line.

March was also my lowest this year..    

• and also remember that different people are training for different things...
    in theory as i'm training for a double my totals should be larger than most
    don't think i have ever got over 300
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Awesome blog post from STIL there.  I'm so sorry that I laughed but you told it so well!

The Joker Sportive for me yesterday.  First sportive of the year because bad weather stopped play at the Surrey Rumble earlier in the year.   100km long plus 4 extra challenges if you chose to take them. The standard 100k route took in almost 1500m of climb.  Allegedly the steepest climb (of the standard route) was 14% but I'd contend there was one hill that was between 17/20% Today my bum is sore, legs are aching and I'm very hungry!  A superbly organised event although I think some of their route choices take you a long roads which are a bit too off the beaten track and in very, very poor condition.

All good training though!

• Great work Dusty, NV, Podds, Max & Mouse.

After a crumby day yesterday I've got myself back on the horse this morning with a good little brick. An hour on the turbot into a 5-mile run with a bunch of pickee-uppees. That feels a lot better.

Apols to anybody who didn't appreciate the sweary words in my post yesterday. Tried to edit it this morning but the "edit window" had closed.

• Today I swam

Tomorrow I will run

• don't think I fueled right after run and swim as today feel like I've been hit by a truck and am so hungry, will rest tonight and eat

• Solid week for me last week of around 12hrs

Today I did a swim/bike brick session this morning and have been hiking this afternoon image
  • Totally buggered today.......

Tomorrow I will ride and maybe swim.....
  • Hours run this morning, 40 mins run with some intervals lunchtime, 40 mins recovery run this evening followed by a nice sea swim to ease any tired legs its all about the run today got some nice new K Swiss Keahou trainers, new trainers are always a nice motivator for me image
  • Was going to cycle this morning but lack of sleep got in the way, will run at lunch and see if I can cram something in tonight. Training is steady at around 12 hours a week but faor various reasons I keep failing to step up beyond that level.
  • Question...how long does road rash take to heal?  I came off the bike 8m into the Kent 100m sportive on Sunday, and taken most of the skin off my left thigh/arse.

On the positive side, at least I've got my first fall out of the way, and my kids are finally interested in what I'm doing..."Dad, can I touch it?   NO!!!"

On the negative, I spent the rest of the ride shitting myself down every hill, and trashing my brakepads.  I can't even look at gravel now without wincing.

I'm on holiday next week in Portugal, planning on kicking off my open water swimming (with my lovely new wetsuit) in the sea, but the thought of putting my 'wound' in the sea is making me sweat at the moment...any old wives remedies out there that will help it heal?  (Please, no suggestions of soaking it in vineagar etc.)

• Morning Guys & Gals

Some great stuff going on here,  plenty of time yet so all good base / build work,  apart from OC who is just legendary  (in his own wetsuit anyway!).

Lake,    Welcome to the world of roadrash, no solution that I know of for taking away the pain.  Your descending nerves will come back though,  I split my arm open in a fall on gravel at a real gentle pace and spent the next month riding really nervously,   happy to bomb down hills again but am still really cautious over loose gravel though.

I'm another one feeling like I've been hit by a truck and am just going into a stupidly busy 3 weeks at work,  so will make sure I get out for a decent run at lunchtime today and try to ensure there is sufficient sleep being banked.