Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Lovely long run for me today  image

Managed to go over on my ankle (regular occurance) but luckily not as bad as last time and it will teach me to look where I am going and not gaze around looking for wildlife!

VT ... next years is decided as Lanza & Henley  image

• Normal 8 mile or so Thursday night run for me tonihjt. My legs felt like I had never run before. Every step seemed hard. If I had had a hard day yesterday I would understand but I did nothing yesterday. I thought this training would have made it seem easier.

Talk about confused.com.

• Sometimes it just goes that way CD ... tomorrow is another day  image

• Bit weird, Digger. Unless you were out carousing last night. Perhaps it's the position of the moon in the house of Mercury.

Surprised the wildlife hasn't learned to line up next to the path for you, Meldy. Probably in height order.

Good chance i'll see the swimmers at Salford next week. Is Tuesday the preferred night?

• That made me laugh   image

Not as much as me trying to sneak up on a Heron to get a photograph of him ... It was never going to happen !!

• Did a long brick. Ish. Did 14 odd miles on the bike before running with the club. Thursdays are normally long XC runs, but we only did 5.3 miles tonight. Still - gives the legs a rest for Sunday.

Lots of wildlife around here, we even saw a slow worm.

Swimming tomorrow. The gyms where the club swims have threatened to take the roof off - hopefully it'll be true. Great weather for proper OW - I just don't want to waste time in OW if it's too cold do get some decent distance in.

VT - pull yourself together!

• Well, I didn't drownimage.

Actually managed 1500m, and once I got over the initial shock of the "cold" water on my face, it was fine, loved it in fact. Water temperature was 14 degrees, so I felt toasty warm in my wetsuit. I could have carried on but an Aquathlon was starting and I didn't want to get in the way of all the speedy swimmers (actually I didn't want to get kicked).

Brick first thing this morning, short but went for it a bit on intensity, 10 miles on bike, 2mile run. I might try to fit in a swim at lunchtime, but I think the pool will feel a bit dull after lasy night's OW adventure imageimage

• STIL

Is salford a bit far for you?

What about Boundrey Park in Holmes Chapel? should be nearer you, every Thursday

• 14 mile bike/7 mile brick run in 26 degrees yesterday eve. Luvly but back is in shreds now. Don't think I will make a ride or run tomorrow or Sunday. Drugs cabinet emptying faster than a beer keg in an Australian drought. Really hope this settles down or it may be a sorry story on 1st July. Fingers crossed.

• 162k d & d on the bike in the wind, heat and sand, 0330 start... gulp. That was one tough ride, I will be geting the sand out of my eyes for days. 

• DD is it dark at 03.30?

• Decided that it was going to be too hot later for a long run so got up at 4.40am left the house at 5 and went for a 2.5 hour run. Covered about 18.5miles along the canal.

Re - jigged the training week a little as have the Stratford 100mile sportive on sunday and wanted to give the legs a little rest tomorrow. Cyclist tan on Sunday?

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

STIL

Is salford a bit far for you?

My office is in Manchester, and I'm there Tues/Weds next week, so it'll work nicely. I've typically use Manley Mere near Chester/Helsby. Had a couple of dawn dips down at West Kirby marine lake on the Wirrall. I'll be there with Muffin and a mate of ours on Sunday morning, although I'll be minding the kids and making the bacon butties image. I heard that Mersey Tri does an OW on New Brighton marine lake on Thursday nights, so I may join them.

The whole OW thing has kind of exploded with popularity this year, hasn't it? Ironic considering how crap the weather's been.

• Dustboy: Very dark, gets light about 0515

• Dubai Dave wrote (see)

162k d & d on the bike in the wind, heat and sand, 0330 start... gulp. That was one tough ride, I will be geting the sand out of my eyes for days. 

DD, well done on getting out there, you are rock hard! After last week's Yas-stravaganza I was back on the Turbot this morning - did 5h 45 and have lost what remained of my marbles image

I cried. But I finished it!

• PuP 5-45 on a turbot is rock hard, I have never gone beyond 1 hour, did run a treadmill ultra once though.

• You're starting to frighten me, now, PUP. I'm going to put you in my "nervous of" category, along with DD, Max and Wild Will.

• slowerthanilook wrote (see)

You're starting to frighten me, now, PUP. I'm going to put you in my "nervous of" category, along with DD, Max and Wild Will.

Hmmm, that would be a bit hasty - you didn't see how fast the pedals were(n't) turning!! It's just because I'm afraid of the roads in Dubai, and I can't be doing with getting up at 3am like DD, I like my sleep too much.

• STIL no need to be nervous i am a 100% geriatric wimp image managed a nice 40 mins in the hotel pool this morning 10 mins in a big chap gets in and starts matching me stroke for stroke and keeps looking over this goes on for 15 minutes and then i like to finish strong so upped the pace he stayed for 2 lenghts then got out looking a bit miffed image competative

Moi? image

Planned a run this evening but feeling fried after travelling home so feet up kindle out wine glass filled instead got a quality tempo 4 hour ride/1 hour run planned tomorrow its a lot easier now the suns out image
  • In some ways its easier (getting up early, not freezing  on the bike etc.) but in some ways its harder. There seems to be more things that id rather do when the sun is out where as in the cold/rain its either train or hang around indoors. Summer brings bbq/beer/beer garden...

• Early mornings are much easier now. Club swim tonight. Was going for a LD swim but did the drills instead. Coach tells me to MTFU and get used to the cold water as Outlaw will be about the same temp.

• Cat, think OW in July should be about 17 degrees. Even I can handle that, it's a bit nippy towards the end but not too bad. (As long as some turd doesn't come along in a speedboat)

Cursing this back pain again (moaning). Legs ready to long ride but back in spasm on and off all day. 

MIGHT venture OW next week. Or the week after.....

• Not sure i have ever raced in water below 20C. Ran at dawn out on the camel tracks felt awful for the first 15K, then it started to get better, then I ran into some clubmates and I ended up running the last 5K at 1/2M pace, 29K in 2 hours 30mins. Tired legs now

• Er, 85 miles biked this week, 7 miles run, so far so good-ish. Stood on scales after 4 nights eating late, net gain 7.5 pounds. WTF?

• One sprained ankle and putting my back into spasm yesterday has given me an impromptu weekend off .... Jeez I'm bored!

No Chiltern 100 for me tomorrow image
  • Welcome to the back spasm club. If I could crawl up the wall, I would. image 

• OW should be warmer then DB, but I think he was making a point.....16 hot hot hot miles run this morning. 2:30.

And your weight gain is obvisouly muscle!

• OW was noticabley warmer today than last week - around 15C allegedly. Was quite pleasant image

• slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Oh, I see..... get us all signed up (again) to the blummin Chiltern 100 and then develop a mysterious ankle sprain   image

• Dustboy - I wouldn't worry about weight gain like that. It's obviously a blip because you'd have to have eaten 3,750 additional calories per day over the course of a week for that to be a real weight gain.  And that's pretty unlikely, unless you've been rounding off all your meals with a McDonalds...

Trogs - I was frozen in Thorpe during the week.  I'm waiting til at least mid-week to try again.