Forum changes: preview and your feedback wanted

Comments

• Nam wrote (see)
    Radicchio wrote (see)
    Now that I've spent a while back with the usual forum, I have to say that I think the 'speech bubble' effect is rather naff, and I agree the current system is clearer / more comfortable for the eye.

Ditto... don't like the speech bubbles and the old system is clearer... it takes up less space and you can read through a lot quicker.

Glad it's not just me - thought I needed to get some new reading glasses when everyone else was saying how much easier it isimage
  • mitiog wrote (see)
    I use Chrome and I still can't quote posts or insert hyperlinks. The only smileys I get are done by text so I'm not sure if it's me or the forum! Don't really like the bubbles - they sort of make sense when there's an avatar next to them but if there isn't there's just a left-pointing arrow to nothing. But I do have a sans-serif font as I type instead of courier image

Hi Mitiog

your forum settings were set to 'basic editor' and 'hide member photos '. I've changed both of those things, so hopefully all looks normal now? Do you recall whether you might have chosen those settings yourself (on your My Forum page) at some point long ago?

• Pls could you help me out with the spacing point that a couple of you have mentioned. On our browsers, on this page of this thread, the new design shows the first 6 posts in the space in which the old one showed 3.5.

I know there are some old forum settings that used to allow you to adjust the layout of the forum (which people may still be using) and that not all browsers at the same - but are you seeing it differently from the screengrabs below? -

/members/images/4102/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2012-03-15_at_10.19.47.png

/members/images/4102/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2012-03-15_at_10.19.34.png

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sean, but I still can't quote or change text/do links in Chrome image
  • Just seen the screen grabs.............

Not impressed - looks like someone has taken a white page and glued lots of comments and pictures on is the best way I can describe it rather than a coherent (well sometimes!) conversation as the current threads appear..........

• Firefox and Chrome are fine for me too

The look and feel - we always get used to it so I wouldn't worry about about the "I don't think it looks nice" concerns

Easier to manage from your side, no bloops from our side and it's good to go in my opinion

I wonder if you removed the little arrow to the left of the "Bold" option so that it doesn't look like a "bubble" box.  Just think people wouldn't really notice that then  image

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    From my new (ahem) iPad, I don't get any of the little icons to use when posting in the new fomat.No bold, no italics, no nothing. Although on the proper version I can't make the image button work anymore is this a Safari issue? And who knows where the smilies have gone.
  • i kinda like the new one, but there is nothing wrong with the old one, apart from the fact that ive only ever been able to "quote" posts with the new one, there is no way for me to do it on this old one for some reason.
  • I really don't like it - (I think I posted somewhere else) - a minor thing but when you post a thread you have to scroll down to it to see it. Also you lose your post count (again minor but annoying)

It looks really old fashioned and cheesy (sorry designer folks)
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I can't even find quotes or smilies now that I'm using safari on the iPad, on the old or new forum. Or it it might just be me.
  • Hi Womble

The message-box buttons on the message-editor we use weren't working reliably on mobile devices, so we've hidden them for now until there's an update. (On the up side, it's faster without them...)

(If you use text smiles on the basic message box,  they get converted to images when you post the message.)

Meanwhile, we're just working through some of the final fixes from all the other feedback, and we'll give you an update soon

thanks as ever for all your help

Sean

• Hello Sean,

For some reason when I tried looking for the new forum using the address given my computer comes up with "page not found". I am using Windows Vista Premium

Having used the forums for a number of years one aspect of the forum posts that really p*sses me off is the ones that presumably started out with good intentions but have just ended up as Blogs -have a look in the general forum and you'll see what I mean -the ones with twenty thousand replies or so! Its a pain in the butt having to troll through these to get to the "real" forum stuff -perhaps they should be "locked" after a while as they no longer pertain to the original subject of the thread or make a special catergory for them.

• You need a way to be able ot jump to the last page of a thread from the main forum level.  For example on this thread, I had to actually click into it, then click "3" at the bottom to go to the last page.  I should be able to go straight to the last page of a thread without having to open it then click another link.

Perhaps I'm not using it right.  I quite often use other message boards that are powered by vBulletin and maybe I'm just used to that.

I would also prefer that the "Email me when a response is made?" option be OFF by default on all threads.

• Would like a "go to newest unread post" button for each individual thread, please, as offered by many other pieces of forum software.

Edit: also another vote for "email me when a response is made" to be default = unchecked.

Other than that, good work - keep it up image
  • It's no good ... I've searched every where ... on all the sub boards and everything but there is still definately something missing from the forum .......

• pabloeldiablo wrote (see)
    I would also prefer that the "Email me when a response is made?" option be OFF by default on all threads.

so sorry I missed your post. You can already change whether the response notification tickbox defaults to on or off. Just go to your 'my forum' page ('settings' in the forum subnavigation, or 'my forum' to the right of your name in the top-right of the screen) andchange the 'response notification' setting to 'default to off'.

/members/images/4102/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2012-05-01_at_13.35.55.png

hope that helps

• So the changes have arrived - looks ok.

One thing I've lost though is the ability to right click in a text box and select spell check.  I'm using FireFox 11.  I know that the site has it's own spell check, but the browser ones are faster and work everywhere on the net.

Oh hang on, no I haven't!  I just need to right click on my text rather than in the box.  As you were image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Anyone know how to set this so a thread opens on the last page by default? I have my settings set up that way and it worked fine on the old forum, but not this one. It is a real pain when linking to threads I follow regularly - I just want it to go straight to the last page, and then have the ability to jump back to my last unread post if I want to read back.

Thanks....

• musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

I have default to last message ticked, but It goes to the first page of all the threads that i have opened so far

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if it's just me - but the page refresh and load is really slow. All other websites are fine.

IE8/Windows 7

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

'My forum' and 'my bookmarks' are back image

But's taken nearly two minutes to open this thread and move to the last post image

Everything takes SO long.  Not acceptable, it will drive me crazy.  I may have to go to Fetch! image

• ((((((((((((Wilkie))))))))))) <- just to get you in the moodimage

My threads are opening on the last page. 

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Mind you, I can live with everything except the fact that it makes me look fat and stumpy in my profile pic image....but the one I see when I am typing this is long, tall and slender, which I like to think is the true me image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

can't get link option to work (sorry if mentioned before)

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

ah! Yes I can - supposed to highlight text first....

• It's really slow to load anything and the new quote function is annoying.

And somehow it's manging to have a whole early internet vibe.

• And the next page function no longer works, it defaults me to the beginners forum. What are you trying to tell me RW?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    musketeer wrote (see)

I have default to last message ticked, but It goes to the first page of all the threads that i have opened so far

same here!

Like weeble's mine is also mega mega slow image

• Far too slow & clunky, and goes to first page of threads.

What f**kwit thought this was a good idea?

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

If you post the last message on a page, it doesn't take you to the (new) last page following posting, but leaves you on the page you replied to.  Weird.

Also start at first page and can't change it.

Much slower than the original.

Don't like the new menus across the top, all squared off, but I'll get used to it!

EDIT:  Can't believe how ironic that was!