Hitting the wall in training!

Hi

I am training for my first marathon and think it is going ok but I have had a couple of long runs which have been horrendous. I am running Belfast and have 8 weeks to go so probably 5 weeks of getting a few more long runs in before tapering.

So far I have run 3 12 milers, 3 14 milers, 2 16 milers and 1 17 miler. 2 of the 16 milers one of which was tonight have ended with me feeling absolutely exhausted. Tonight I felt nauseaus after the run for a good 45 mins and it has taken me 2.5 hrs to begin to feel ok. I geuninely did not want to run another mile tonight and i am worrying about the marathon distance. My wifes words to me when i returned were " you still have another 10 miles to do during the marathon!".

When I look at my mile splits I can see that I had 7-8 miles in the middle which were probably 30 seconds per mile quicker than i would be aiming for. In addition I think I am not fuelling properly and need to sort this out.

Today I ran at 4.15pm after work. I had two slices of toast for breakfast, some pasta and mince with bread and a nectarine at 12.30pm and then stupidly did not eat again before going out (apart from a small pack of sweets) I drunk lots of water, but this was too long not to eat before going out.

Additionally, I don't really think about what I eat and drink the night before. Last night i had pasta and chicken but I didn't drink a great deal of water.

So my query I guess.

Does anyone else hit the wall/feel like this in training?

How do you fuel before running in the afternoon/evenings etc.

Comments

• It may just be as simple as you are running too fast

Slow it down a little and see if that has an effect

Maintain a healthy balanced diet with plenty of water

Supplement your run with water and/or gels / sports drink
  • Don't forget that you will be running the marathon on fresh legs and you'll have eaten properly that week.

Did you take any nutrition on the run ? The long runs are where you practice this. And running fast won't have helped much either.

I find sensible eating works for me. You don't have to carboload or anything really but you must eat !
  • dprovandprovan ✭✭✭
    i had 1/3 bottle of lucozade sport at 10 miles and a few dolly mixtures. I have had 1/2 bottle of lucozade sport at about the same distance before and felt sick for the next 3 miles so thought less would help.
  • Maybe take on a few sips every mile rather than in one hit ?
  • dprovandprovan ✭✭✭
    yes cougie, i hate carrying a bottle but sounds like maybe what i need to do
  • Well done on the work done so far - it sounds fairly typical and I think you are right that a few things could be improved.

You could get a bottle belt for your drink so you are hands free - or a 'donut' bottle which is easy to carry. Have you tried taking energy gels on long runs. Perhaps one every 3-5 miles? Or just some more sweets. Perhaps 3-4 sweets every two miles?

Your food during the day doesn't sound too bad to me, although perhaps have a bit more at breakfast time. You won't want to run on an empty stomach and the 3-4 hour gap after lunch is fine. Do make sure you have something straight after the run even if it's just biscuits or rice pudding then a proper meal within the next hour or so.

And I agree that you are running too fast. You can include some miles at target marathon pace in your long run, but if you are including faster than target miles while still building distance you are giving your body some very mixed messages. Save the fast stuff for the shorter runs and go slower than you want to for the long stuff, possibly with a few target pace miles at the end of the run when overdoing it won't compromise the rest of the session. Unfortunately you do have to leave your ego at the door for the long stuff and flying along faster than planned in the middle of a long run is not going to help you on the day.

Anyway well done for tackling this now - I think you are going to be fine. image
  • dprovandprovan ✭✭✭

guys thanks for the advice. Gyraffe, what you say makes perfect sense, I know I need to prepare better for the longer runs. It is one thing going out on a whim and running 5/6 miles but I am realising through experience that I need to prepare better for these longer runs.

When I committed to running a marathon I knew it was a long way but my respect for the distance and admiration for all who have completed it has grown immensley through my own training.

• You'll be fine! Slow your LSr's down. Find out what drinks they give out on the course and practise with them, - if it's lucozade, try diluting it 50:50 wuth water- it is much easier to digest that way. Carry a water bottle so that you can take sips- I do this in races, rather than try to chug it all down at once- you don't need a big bottle, just 300- 500 ml will do, since you can top it up at each drinks station.

Pooridge 2 hours before the run is good, and likely to be availalbe at your hotel on race day- I use the instant packets, so it's easy to make at work if you have a microwave- or if not, the "add boilong water" ones are disgusting, but may do the job.

Chocolate milk after a LSR- there's nothing better!