Non- training related Outlaw Questions

Comments

• Cheers,   I thought with it being multi-lap there wouldn't be, Not sure if every 5 miles is enough for checking my pace off, but I guess there will come a point where it's all about survival and not mile splits.
  • Checking my pace = seeing if my legs are still moving in a forwards direction !   image
  • marshallini wrote (see)
     I guess there will come a point where it's all about survival and not mile splits.

0600 on July 1st!

Do you have a garmin or similar that will give you the pace info?

• M...eldy wrote (see)
    ...there you go, I stand corrected  image
    First time for everything
  • I remember the 5 mile markersimage I also remember swearing at the top end of the lake as it was a tad windy!

• Gladys M. wrote (see)
    I know, I know! I knew it was coming from someone, just didn't expect it to be the Prince! image Anyway, it wasn't a princess bracelet, it was a PIRATE bracelet (just a Princess badge!) image
    Princess Gladys, priceless. You, Eugenie, and Beatrice should team up for a relay event, tiaras all around then image

and Mr Foot ... you'll keep !
  • OC - an excellent post and I think it would be a plan to send it to Hollywood for inclusion on the website.

• marshallini wrote (see)
    Cheers,   I thought with it being multi-lap there wouldn't be, Not sure if every 5 miles is enough for checking my pace off, but I guess there will come a point where it's all about survival and not mile splits.
    image If it's any use I'll got some form on the route because it's the same as the old nottingham marathon route and I've found that counting the post's and lamps around the lake vary useful in the past. The post's there are 100m markers for rowing so you can use them as a goodish guide depending on what your game plan is.
  • i never seem to recal seeing mile markers on a IM run ... i think i'm normally in too much pain image

On a good day i focus on the next aid station

On a bad day the next port-a-loo
  • I dont think I have ever seen them on an IM either WIll .... and I am not sure my brain would compute if I did !!
  • They had km markers at Roth - all forty-flippin-two of them.  Information overload!

• I really was asleep then !!   image

*and before anyone points out, yes I know I missed the last 10k  image
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    anyone got any suggestions for nutrition during outlaw, I am going to use a speedfil on the frame and wanted something other than water.

Usually i drop some nuun tabs in and keep topping up - any other ideas?
  • I believe High5 Citrus will be the energy drink on offer around the bike course.

Then there's your own choice of gels, energy bars, pies, sandwiches, crisps, peanuts or whatever else suits which can be attached to your frame or packed into the bento box or pockets.

• I believe Nuun are zero calorie, just electrolytes.

I've got a tub of High5 2:1 and a couple of boxes of gels to practise with. That is what will be on the course. I'm going to use a frame mounted speedfil and 2 rear cages. 1 cage for spare tubes etc. The other will start with water to settle down on, then get dumped at the first station.

Then I'll grab high5 and refill the speedfil from that. Empty bottleback in rear cage. Dump bottle at next station. Rinseand repeat. I doubt I'll be getting a bottle at each feed station as the speedfil holds almost 2 bottles worth.

I guess it all depends on the heat etc. I've also noticed that a very full speedfil does tend to splash out over bumps until you lower the fluid level. Sticky RH leg.

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Cat sounds like a good idea.

What cage have you got on the back, and how do you hold tubes and stuff in place so you don't drop them on bumps etc?
  • I don't have the first clue how I'm going to approach this. 

I have started taking citrus Nuun tablets in a bar mounted aero bottle and I think they have helped my hydration levels on my longer bike rides to date.  I have taken a couple of SIS gels and water with no ill effects.

I am one of the people who struggle to get anything down when I'm working hard on the run, but I don't intend working that hard on the bike where it makes me want to puke my gels.  I don't really like High5 so I'll have to carry my own nutrition.  I'm thinking a few nuun tablets and half a dozen SIS gels (which I find nearly impossible to open with a single sweaty hand).  Also a couple of Go bars, flapjacks or the like.

My ignorant and not very well considered thoughts: 

If I get out from T1, get something on board and into the first 10 miles not feeling like I'm already empty then I could reach a feed station first time round and top up on water and something edible(?).  Can/should I leave a couple of malt loafs or something nutritious at the pirate feed station, bearing in mind I'll be amongst the latter ones to pass through.....? lol.

I don't know what else to eat on the bike or how else to plan that part.   If I can get it right I know I can reach T2 and approach the run as a separate unit with, for me, its completely different nutrition requirements, and its own unique problems/strategy.

Jelly babies and water have gotten me through previous long runs and marathon, but I'm aware of this step up in the endurance stakes.  Flat coke and crisps might appear less of a perceived stomach churning prospect if I'm just hanging in with many miles still to go.

I hope I am making some sense.

• I'm struggling wth bike nutrition too. Yesterday I went out for my longest ride to date (5hrs).

I nibbled regularly about every half hour on flapjack and Eccles Cake (yum!), topping up with water and bit of sports drink. But after about 3.5hrs, although I was OK, I could feel myself starting to flag.

My OH (who was riding with me) suggested stopping off at a shop and grabbing a sandwich. One tuna mayo on granary later, I felt great, and finished really strong, thinking I could have carried on.

So, is it realistic or feasible to have sandwiches, or is it just a bit bonkers?image image. Where the hell I'd keep them without them getting squished is another matter...

Maybe malt loaf could be a good compromise Vt'd.

The marathon I think I'm sorted for. Past experience tells me gels are fine to get me through a mara

• bbp, I initially wrote about carrying a sandwich or two on my bike, pehaps taped in the frame triangle LOL.  I took it out thinking that was just silly, but that's twice now you've had the courage to ask the question I didn't.

I found the ice cream and half bottle of cold lucozade that I had during this weeks long run was a fantastic boost, but I'm pretty sure the pirate feedstation will not have an facility for rum and raisin ice cream........

That's a great length of time in the saddle, well done. 

• Thanks, VT'd. Pretty low intensity (for that read slow image), but I was pleased with the time on the saddle, and no ill effects at all today.

Wow, if the pirate feedstation had ice cream......tremendous!!!

My worst (or was it best image) eating escapade while running was this last Christmas. I was staying with family in Portugal, I did a fabulous clifftop trail run, which involved running for an hour, a stop for a full cream tea - scones, clotted cream, pot of tea, the works!!, then running back for an hour. It was great, I think I definitely took on more fuel that I used that day image

Maybe some expereinced pirates will come along with pearls of wisdom re: sandwiches. Another thought I had was to have a sandwich (or something equivalent) in T1, so that at least I'd be setting off well fueled, and then top up with gels/snacks for the rest of the ride.

That should be pretty easy to test setting off from home, eating as you dash out the front door and jump on your bike!! 

• Yeah, an hour or so splashing about in the bath, sandwich,bike.  My type of brick.
  • My last long ride included a cream cheese and marmite sarnie. Even ate it on the go - that is progress fo me!image

I am definitely in the sandwich and savoury camp.

• Nothing wrong with having a sandwich or roll taped to the frame, ive done both, ive also had a cornish pasty and a slice of pizza as part of my race nutrician.

Whatever works for you, ill quite often take a sandwich or roll stuff in my back pocket, its something nice to look forward to midway that different to sugary gels and energy drink.

Im not sure the nutrician benefits of the above but a bit of variety has got to be better for you, something for your stomach to get stuck into etc.

If youre flagging on a long ride (or in the latter stages of a race) coke is a great boost, though once you start on coke you need to stay with it as if to maintain the sugar/caffine intake.
  • "Another thought I had was to have a sandwich (or something equivalent) in T1, so that at least I'd be setting off well fueled, and then top up with gels/snacks for the rest of the ride."

Dont waste time standing in T1 eating, have it taped to your handlebars, remember, after your swim you wont have eaten for maybe 1.5 - 2 hours, straight out of T1 its a good idea to get yourself relaxed and get nutrition down. 

Out of T1, I take a gel first to give the stomach something easy to digest, then then eat something solid like a piece of pizza, this helps me focus on something other than racing the other dudes and dudettes for the first few miles, helps me relax and get into the race at my own pace.  Plenty of time to put the hammer down in the last 20-30 miles of the bike if youve paced it well.
  • (Runs off to find suitable travel storage for a cheese and marmite sarnie!)
  • TJ1004 wrote (see)
    Cat sounds like a good idea. What cage have you got on the back, and how do you hold tubes and stuff in place so you don't drop them on bumps etc?

Looking at getting an X-lab mini-wing, which comes with 2 cages and a tube bag (which I may/may not use). Will get a storage bottle to go in one of the cages. I haven't yet worked out what to take equipment wise. Probably 2 tubes, a multitool, instant patches and my mini pump.

I had this problem at Marlow Du t'other week. For the road bike I have a saddle pack, but have been using jersey pockets recently on the TT. I need to get this sorted before Marshman, which I will ride,eat, hydrate and pack as if it were the big day. Watch out for the slow pirate with the kitchen sink...

A slice of pizza is almost the same shape as the Speedfil. It's meant to be! image

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Haha loving the pizza, can we get delivery at pirate feed station?

Had a look at x lab stuff on the web last night seems good.

Dustboy +1 on cheese and marmite sandwich.
  • Yuck cheese and marmite, now cheese and chilli pickle, that's more like it! Although chilli pickle may cause "gastric issues" on the day ??