Options

London Marathon: Should I do a final 20 mile run this weekend?

Can anyone give me some advice? I am running my first marathon in London on 22nd April. I have been gradually building up the miles each week and managed a 20 mile run on Sunday. I was feeling very achey by mile 16 and struggled through to 20 but did it in 2 hours 48, keeping a pretty even pace throughout. Whilst my legs felt a bit heavy the day after, I haven't had too much stiffness.

I have the opportunity to do another organised 20 mile run this weekend along the Middlewood Way. Do you think I should try and get another long run in or start tapering with only 2.5 weeks left!!? image

Comments

• Options

Conventional wisdom says no. And particularly not two weeks back to back. And not if its your first marathon.

But i'm sure someone may think differently...image

• Options

No don't do it.

You have 2.5 weeks to go even if you where doing a 10k you should be tapering by now not increasing your milage.

Do not reduce the regularity of your runs just the distance until your doing half  your weekly milage

If you want to keep your legs "sharp" do some stamina work, tempo runs, intervals or track work but dont increase milage.

In the tapering period your legs should feel fresh and the runs easy and effortless no aches and pains.

You may even find yourself going too fast for easy runs. 

When your doing any race you should feel nothing but fresh legs.

Good fortune

• Options
    Blimey. 2.48. You must be going for a fast time ?
  • Options
    Never run further in miles than days you have left before a marathon. That's quite a useful rule of thumb.
    So e answer is still no!
    But good luck on the day.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I will start to taper down now to try and keep my  legs fresh. It feels wrong not to be running long distances but I understand what you are all saying. Thanks again.
  • Options
    thats is a fast training pace...rest well.is that the only 20 mileer that you have done or were there others.....

if that was the only one its a shame as with miles in your legs you should have a great marathon......

too late to fit in another long one......but good luck for the race...
  • Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    Never run further in miles than days you have left before a marathon. That's quite a useful rule of thumb.
    So e answer is still no!
    But good luck on the day.
    Never heard that one LB - I like it though - makes sense.
  • Options

Hilary -

Do 15 miles at your expected marathon pace this weekend. 10 miles next weekend.

Do short fast runs during the week, giving yourself time to rest. Dont do any runs 3 days pre-race.

mat

p.s. remember a good warm up and warm down for every run.

• Options
    i've never heard that rule of thumb either, thanks Liverbird, and hello, i last spoke to you on Liverpool thread lol and Cougie Hi too

this is my first marathon too ( finally after watching and cheering so many of them ) and i'm planning on running no more than 10miles this weekend and then taper taper taper

Cant wait!!! Exciting times

17 days to go!!!
  • Options

I was feeling very achey by mile 16 and struggled through to 20 but did it in 2 hours 48, keeping a pretty even pace throughout. Whilst my legs felt a bit heavy the day after, I haven't had too much stiffness.

my advice would be to run yes but esase off the distance

yes its 17 days and counting

you want to be fresh and strong,

• Options
    Hey Mick N Phil, hope to see you in London

16 days and couting eek!!!
  • Options
    Really... I was going to crack out 18 this weekend. Nice and easy, probably off road. either that or run 7 miles do a park run then run 7 miles home.... actually might do that as it sounds more interesting than yet another LSR.

Whatever you do I'm guessing take it easy and for the Love of God don't get injured!
  • Options
    PSC 18miles??? eek you're brave I am now tapering, i've read loads now, i'm starting to go goggled eyed lol and all say about 10 - 12 miles this week

i know i'm no expert tho, so dont listen to me lol

and yeah definitely for the love of god dont get injured, i just posted somewhere else, i nearly got squashed by an icecream van today, i was standing by my car and it drove so close the wing mirrors nearly clipped, and i was just squashed in the middle, it was so scary!!!
  • Options
    was the ice cream  van ok
  • Options

no, i'm no expert either

just a mere novice

• Options
    eek - getting a running injury is one thing. Being squished by an ice cream van is another.

Oh, and Mick is a big fat liar! He's done more half and full marathons than I've had hot dinners! Mick you are a legend mate.
  • Options
    LB - that sound a good rule of thumb ................ For other people. *whistles in an innocent manner* image
  • Options

Has anyone  pointed out yet that Hilary could just do a marathon in under 4 hours?

Thats rather impressive for a first timer

If you really give it a bit of welly and do it  under 3:50 I will give you a little cheer.

Like this;

Yeah!

• Options
    Stephen, pmsl!!

Mick cheek!! if i didnt admire you so much i would come and thump you image

PSC, i know now that is probably what would happen to me lol, so accident prone, someone once said did i fancy a skiing holiday, is said no, knowing me i 'd probably fall of the chair lift and break a leg on the first day lol
  • Options

PMSL?

Hannah, I would get that seen to.

My mum had the same problem.

Luckly she was more into swimming.

Not judging.

Just saying. image Its the kids that suffer

• Options

Hannahsmum

i have mail RW mailed u

Publicly

I am sorry to have caused you any upset of offence, i would never intentionally upset or offend anyone

So to RW towers And yourself - my apologies

I only  meant as a light hearted bit of fun -

bless u

Mick xx

• Options
    PSC - I've got got 18 scheduled for this weekend too, hopefully it will feel easier than last weeks long one.  I follow a RW schedule and that always has 18 2 weeks out.
  • Options
    Stephen E Forde wrote (see)

Has anyone  pointed out yet that Hilary could just do a marathon in under 4 hours?

Thats rather impressive for a first timer

If you really give it a bit of welly and do it  under 3:50 I will give you a little cheer.

Like this;

Yeah!

Thanks Stephen, I'm getting really excited now.

I ended up doing a 16 mile run yesterday but I have a twinge in my groin!! Really bad timing. I'm planning to rest it for a couple of days and am seeing the physio on Thursday. I would love to get sub 4 hours so these next two weeks are crucial!! Any advice on muscle twinges??

• Options
    ADGADG ✭✭✭
    I've just done a tough 16 miler, half up hill half down, I'll just do a few 3-4 milers and a couple of 8 milers on the flat, and nothing in the last 3 days.